Shadow copy warning on backups

William Hudson

Shadow copy warning on backups
I am using Backup Exec V11D to back up a Vista Ultimate workstation (amongst
others). It started out with no problems at all, and then I began to get
warnings like this in the backup job report:

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\wmdconn.cpl is not present on
the snapshot

The reason the file is not present on the snapshot is that it is not present
on the disk!

After installing an updated NVIDIA driver on this system, I had around 30
such warnings, relating to NVIDIA files that were at some point installed,
but then removed.

I have since reinstalled Vista completey and copied over only my user
settings, but the messages are starting again (the one at the top is from
last night's backup). Symantec support think it is something in Vista that
is 'stuck', remembering files that have been deleted. Has anyone come across
this? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

William

Bert Kinney

Re: Shadow copy warning on backups
Hi William,

You mention Symantec, I would suggest uninstalling any Symantec applications
while troubleshooting.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

William Hudson wrote:
> I am using Backup Exec V11D to back up a Vista Ultimate workstation
> (amongst others). It started out with no problems at all, and then I
> began to get warnings like this in the backup job report:
>
> VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\wmdconn.cpl is not
> present on the snapshot
>
> The reason the file is not present on the snapshot is that it is not
> present on the disk!
>
> After installing an updated NVIDIA driver on this system, I had around
> 30 such warnings, relating to NVIDIA files that were at some point
> installed, but then removed.
>
> I have since reinstalled Vista completey and copied over only my user
> settings, but the messages are starting again (the one at the top is
> from last night's backup). Symantec support think it is something in
> Vista that is 'stuck', remembering files that have been deleted. Has
> anyone come across this? Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> William

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Shadow copy warning on backups
>William Hudson wrote:

>> I am using Backup Exec V11D to back up a Vista Ultimate workstation
>> (amongst others). It started out with no problems at all, and then I
>> began to get warnings like this in the backup job report:
>>
>> VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\wmdconn.cpl is not
>> present on the snapshot
>>
>> The reason the file is not present on the snapshot is that it is not
>> present on the disk!

OK. Check that it's not there but hidden or something, then check
whether there is anything that references it in Regedit or (say)
Control.ini (if that file is still relevant in Vista).

>> After installing an updated NVIDIA driver on this system, I had around
>> 30 such warnings, relating to NVIDIA files that were at some point
>> installed, but then removed.

Any history of "registry cleaning"?

Any beta drivers, or drivers offered via MS/Windows Update?

Sounds like a pretty bad driver bundle and/or install management.

>> I have since reinstalled Vista completey and copied over only my user
>> settings, but the messages are starting again (the one at the top is
>> from last night's backup). Symantec support think it is something in
>> Vista that is 'stuck', remembering files that have been deleted. Has
>> anyone come across this? Any suggestions?

Any bad exits?

AutoChk "papers over" the effects of bad exits, but that doesn't
magically complete files that were not yet written to disk. System
Restore's backup material gets torn up by this on a regular basis, as
do any logs that were held open.

Shadow Copy underlies System Restore, so I wonder more about that.

The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope