New folders dont show up on windows explorer

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXJheQ==?=

New folders dont show up on windows explorer
I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the explorer.
I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but when i
went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be seen.
Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't see any
newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents?
(folder and subfolders are about 7.5GB). Xp didn't seem to have this problem.
Thanks for any help.
mikeyhsd

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
did you do a refresh F5.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Mikeray" <Mikeray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news409E62F-4A92-477E-87A2-8AE1F3E3C166@microsoft.com...
I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the explorer.
I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but when i
went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be seen.
Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't see any
newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents?
(folder and subfolders are about 7.5GB). Xp didn't seem to have this problem.
Thanks for any help.
=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZXJheQ==?=

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
Yeah i tried refreshing to no avail.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> did you do a refresh F5.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "Mikeray" <Mikeray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news409E62F-4A92-477E-87A2-8AE1F3E3C166@microsoft.com...
> I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the explorer.
> I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but when i
> went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be seen.
> Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't see any
> newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents?
> (folder and subfolders are about 7.5GB). Xp didn't seem to have this problem.
> Thanks for any help

mikeyhsd

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
no other thought, when you created the NEW folder did the name appear in the pane

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> did you do a refresh F5.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "Mikeray" <Mikeray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news409E62F-4A92-477E-87A2-8AE1F3E3C166@microsoft.com...
> I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the explorer.
> I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but when i
> went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be seen.
> Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't see any
> newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents?
> (folder and subfolders are about 7.5GB). Xp didn't seem to have this problem.
> Thanks for any help

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
You may need to close and reopen Windows Explorer to see the folders. Yes,
XP did have this same sporadic problem.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Mikeray" <Mikeray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news409E62F-4A92-477E-87A2-8AE1F3E3C166@microsoft.com...
>I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the
>explorer.
> I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but when
> went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be
> seen.
> Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't see
> any
> newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents?
> (folder and subfolders are about 7.5GB). Xp didn't seem to have this
> problem.
> Thanks for any help.

=?Utf-8?B?QWRhbQ==?=

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
I am having the same problem. I downloaded a zip file and a pdf file to a
subdirectory of Program Files with the "Save As" window. I am unable to see
the documents in windows explorer, or from the command line even after
rebooting.

I am sure the files are there; I can navigate to and open the pdf from
Acrobat File>Open. I can also see the zip file in this fashion. I have
already displayed all hidden and system files, no difference.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> You may need to close and reopen Windows Explorer to see the folders. Yes,
> XP did have this same sporadic problem.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Mikeray" <Mikeray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news409E62F-4A92-477E-87A2-8AE1F3E3C166@microsoft.com...
> >I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the
> >explorer.
> > I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but when
> > went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be
> > seen.
> > Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't see
> > any
> > newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents?
> > (folder and subfolders are about 7.5GB). Xp didn't seem to have this
> > problem.
> > Thanks for any help.

Jane C

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
Adam, you saved those files to a forbidden location, so they have been
'virtualized' by Vista. You should be able to find the real files here:
C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
"Adam" <Adam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having the same problem. I downloaded a zip file and a pdf file to a
> subdirectory of Program Files with the "Save As" window. I am unable to
> see
> the documents in windows explorer, or from the command line even after
> rebooting.
>
> I am sure the files are there; I can navigate to and open the pdf from
> Acrobat File>Open. I can also see the zip file in this fashion. I have
> already displayed all hidden and system files, no difference.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> You may need to close and reopen Windows Explorer to see the folders.
>> Yes,
>> XP did have this same sporadic problem.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "Mikeray" <Mikeray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news409E62F-4A92-477E-87A2-8AE1F3E3C166@microsoft.com...
>> >I was wondering why vista doesnt show newly created folders on the
>> >explorer.
>> > I made new folders after saving pictures from internet explorer, but
>> > when
>> > went to open said folder on the explorer the folders were nowhere to be
>> > seen.
>> > Also i tried setting them to show me modified folders and i couldn't
>> > see
>> > any
>> > newly made folders. Does vista take a while to update folder contents?
>> > (folder and subfolders are about 7.5GB). Xp didn't seem to have this
>> > problem.
>> > Thanks for any help.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
On Sat, 17 Feb 2007 09:59:03 -0800, Adam

>I am having the same problem. I downloaded a zip file and a pdf file to a
>subdirectory of Program Files with the "Save As" window. I am unable to see
>the documents in windows explorer, or from the command line even after
>rebooting.

>I am sure the files are there; I can navigate to and open the pdf from
>Acrobat File>Open. I can also see the zip file in this fashion. I have
>already displayed all hidden and system files, no difference.

I wonder if this is a side-effect of one of Vista's new features?

Is this a lowered-rights user account?

Vista has a feature that allows dumbo apps to think they are writing
to protected locations, while preventing them from affecting anything
outside of the app. This is a Very Good Thing, given how often
malware escalates itself to affect the system, typically so that the
malware automatically runs whenever the OS boots.

If this is working as designed, you may have this mileage:
- application A creates and populates within a protected area
- application A can see the new items and changes in that area
- other applications, and Windows in general, sees no changes

In reality, what application A thought was written to (say)
"C:\Program Files" is in fact written somewhere else, out of the way
where it will not impact anything other than application A.

So you'd want to know where that other place is, eh?

I'm not typing from Vista, so I'll have to walk around a bit...
I'm not sure, but I think it may be C:\ProgramData ?

>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!
>--------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: New folders dont show up on windows explorer
On Sun, 18 Feb 2007 08:58:56 +1100, "Jane C"

>Adam, you saved those files to a forbidden location, so they have been
>'virtualized' by Vista. You should be able to find the real files here:
>C:\Users\YOURNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore

Ah, thanks! Not "C:\ProgramData", OK.

Saws are too hard to use.
Be easier to use!