XP permission on dual boot system?

Gareth

XP permission on dual boot system?
I have a dual boot system using 2 hard drives - XP (Home) on one and Vista
on the other.

My XP install is not password protected in terms of user logins (it's for
ease of use family access).

When I boot in to Vista and try to access my XP "My Documents" folder (and
some other folders) I'm told that I don't have permission to access the XP
folder(s). I'm using administrator rights in both XP and Vista.

Could someone tell me how I alter the XP folder and file permissions so that
I can access XP files from Vista?

Gareth.

Malke

Re: XP permission on dual boot system?
Gareth wrote:
> I have a dual boot system using 2 hard drives - XP (Home) on one and Vista
> on the other.
>
> My XP install is not password protected in terms of user logins (it's for
> ease of use family access).
>
> When I boot in to Vista and try to access my XP "My Documents" folder (and
> some other folders) I'm told that I don't have permission to access the XP
> folder(s). I'm using administrator rights in both XP and Vista.
>
> Could someone tell me how I alter the XP folder and file permissions so that
> I can access XP files from Vista?

XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home directories (My
Documents) although you can share folders within the directory. A better
solution for you is to put the files in the Shared Documents directory
on XP and files from Vista in Vista's Public directory.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Gareth

> Gareth wrote:
>> I have a dual boot system using 2 hard drives - XP (Home) on one and
>> Vista on the other.
>>
>> My XP install is not password protected in terms of user logins (it's for
>> ease of use family access).
>>
>> When I boot in to Vista and try to access my XP "My Documents" folder
>> (and some other folders) I'm told that I don't have permission to access
>> the XP folder(s). I'm using administrator rights in both XP and Vista.
>>
>> Could someone tell me how I alter the XP folder and file permissions so
>> that I can access XP files from Vista?

> XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home directories (My Documents)
> although you can share folders within the directory. A better solution for
> you is to put the files in the Shared Documents directory on XP and files
> from Vista in Vista's Public directory.

Thank you.

Is there no workaround other than moving the files in to another directory?

I assumed that there was probably a permission setting that I needed to set
but this is bad news - there will be a lot of file movement to do!

Thanks again.

Gareth wrote:
> "Malke" <notreally@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>> Gareth wrote:
>>> I have a dual boot system using 2 hard drives - XP (Home) on one and
>>> Vista on the other.
>>>
>>> My XP install is not password protected in terms of user logins (it's for
>>> ease of use family access).
>>>
>>> When I boot in to Vista and try to access my XP "My Documents" folder
>>> (and some other folders) I'm told that I don't have permission to access
>>> the XP folder(s). I'm using administrator rights in both XP and Vista.
>>>
>>> Could someone tell me how I alter the XP folder and file permissions so
>>> that I can access XP files from Vista?

>> XP Home does not permit sharing of users' home directories (My Documents)
>> although you can share folders within the directory. A better solution for
>> you is to put the files in the Shared Documents directory on XP and files
>> from Vista in Vista's Public directory.

> Thank you.
>
> Is there no workaround other than moving the files in to another directory?
>
> I assumed that there was probably a permission setting that I needed to set
> but this is bad news - there will be a lot of file movement to do!

With all operating systems, you need to put files to be shared where the
operating system allows you. Trying to do otherwise may be possible but
it will not be efficient and you will always be adjusting permissions.
XP Home does not allow you to set fine-grained permissions the way XP
Pro does with Simple Sharing disabled. You cannot disable Simple Sharing
in XP Home except by means of an unsupported hack. In order to change
security settings in XP Home, you must go into Safe Mode to get the
Security tab.

Malke

Gareth wrote:

> Is there no workaround other than moving the files in to another directory?
>
> I assumed that there was probably a permission setting that I needed to set
> but this is bad news - there will be a lot of file movement to do!

Addendum to my previous reply

Alternate things to do:

1. Install a second hard drive and put shared data on it. Since sharing
is between XP and Vista, you can format the drive NTFS. Create a folder
(or folders) and set sharing to "Everyone".

2. Attach an external hard drive and put shared data on it. This is also
good for backups.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Leo

Re: XP permission on dual boot system?
While in Vista try this:

Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder

Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f <filename or folder>

OR

- Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties

- Click Security Tab

- Click Advanced

- Click the Owner Tab

- Click Edit

- Select the Administrators group from the list

- Click OK

- Click OK

- Click OK

You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property

Windows

Now again

1) Right-click on the file

2) Select Properties

3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button

4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and tick

the 'allow' box for 'Full control'

You have now taken 'Full control' of file

--
Leo

It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end-to-end,
someone would be stupid enough to try to pass them.

Leo wrote:
> While in Vista try this:
>

> Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder

(snip)

The OP's issue isn't with Vista. It's that he is dual-booting with XP
Home and he'd like to share data between the systems. XP Home doesn't
allow sharing of My Documents and the OP wanted to share out XP's My
Documents. I've given him some workarounds for this.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
jorgen

Malke wrote:

> The OP's issue isn't with Vista.

It actually is. It is the ntfs driver in vista, that doesn't allow
access if he isn't listed in the ACL with his vista-sid.

jorgen wrote:
> Malke wrote:
>
>> The OP's issue isn't with Vista.

> It actually is. It is the ntfs driver in vista, that doesn't allow
> access if he isn't listed in the ACL with his vista-sid.

That's as may be, but the main issue is that XP Home doesn't allow
sharing of My Documents. The OP is having the common issue of how to
share data on one computer between two operating systems. Yes, of course
he needs to have a common user account on both operating systems. And
yes, he should have a directory or partition or hard drive set aside for
shared data so that it is easily accessibly from both operating systems.
As an example, when you have Linux and an NT-based Windows operating
system installed on the same computer, you need a partition or drive
formatted FAT32. Since the OP has two NT-based operating systems, he can
format the extra partition or drive NTFS. Or he can put the files he
wants to share in public folders in both operating systems; the Shared
Documents folder in XP Home and the Public folder in Vista.

EOT for me.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Leo

Re: XP permission on dual boot system?
Yes I know what his original question was.

While in Vista you can view, execute, copy files, etc. in XP's My Documents
folder if you take ownership of XP's MY Documents Folder.