Installing and uninstalling applications

=?Utf-8?B?R2VyYXJkIEhhcnJpcw==?=

Installing and uninstalling applications
I though I was getting to grips with Vistas file organisation but this one
has thrown me:-

I work for a software development company so continually install and
uninstall software as part of our testing process. I installed a new copy of
an application and everything went fine. The system allows a user to create a
new sub-folder in which a copy of data files is placed. This all worked fine.

I then uninstalled the new software and it appeared to uninstall correctly.
The folder disappeared from within program files and the shortcuts were
removed BUT when I installed the software a second time the system found the
folder I had created following the first install.

I again uninstalled the software and the application main folder was again
deleted.

I cannot see the sub-folder from explorer and icacls does not recognise it's
existence yet I can navigate to the folder from within my Microsoft
development environment.

Anyone ideas!

Thanks in advance

Gerard
=?Utf-8?B?R2VyYXJkIEhhcnJpcw==?=

RE: Installing and uninstalling applications
Ok, I have found the answer to this in Rick Strahls weblog from November 20th
2006 at

http://www.west-wind.com/wconnect/weblog/

The additional directory is placed in a virtualised folder along the lines:

c:\user\USER\appdata\local\virtualstore\program files\APPNAME

where USER is the name of the user and APPNAME is the application name

Ricks weblog goes a lot further on this and explains about multiuser
applications etc and best practice for this sort of application.

Gerard

"Gerard Harris" wrote:

> I though I was getting to grips with Vistas file organisation but this one
> has thrown me:-
>
> I work for a software development company so continually install and
> uninstall software as part of our testing process. I installed a new copy of
> an application and everything went fine. The system allows a user to create a
> new sub-folder in which a copy of data files is placed. This all worked fine.
>
> I then uninstalled the new software and it appeared to uninstall correctly.
> The folder disappeared from within program files and the shortcuts were
> removed BUT when I installed the software a second time the system found the
> folder I had created following the first install.
>
> I again uninstalled the software and the application main folder was again
> deleted.
>
> I cannot see the sub-folder from explorer and icacls does not recognise it's
> existence yet I can navigate to the folder from within my Microsoft
> development environment.
>
> Anyone ideas!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Gerard

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Installing and uninstalling applications
Gerard

Well, that didn't take you very long.

Kudos for returning and posting the answer. This will help others who
experience the same problem.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP