Cannot delete or rename folder

=?Utf-8?B?bm9ydGhlbmQ=?=

Cannot delete or rename folder
I have Vista pre-installed on a new desktop that I have just purchased.

I have had lots of problems but since disabling the UAC most of them have
cleared up. However, I have folders in Documents installed from a zipped
backup from a Windows XP machine and I cannot delete or rename these folders.
Mossie

Re: Cannot delete or rename folder
Jimmy Brush wrote:
> Hello,
>
> You will need to give yourself permission to access these folders.
>
> I will assume here that you are running Home Basic or Premium, since you
> didn't mention what edition you are running ... if you have Business or
> Ultimate, there are easier ways to accomplish this.
>
> This will require some familiarity with the command prompt.
>
> - Click start
> - Type: cmd
> - Right-click it when it appears under programs, and click Run As
> Administrator
> - cd to the folder that you need access to (e.g., cd
> c:\users\USER\documents\folder)
> - Type: icacls . /grant USERF) /T /C /L /Q
> (Where USER is your user name)
> - Press enter

I have been having the same problem, I tried this but it doesn't work.
It changes the permissions ok but files still can't be deleted.
=?Utf-8?B?bm9ydGhlbmQ=?=

Re: Cannot delete or rename folder
Hi

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I am using Home Premium.

Could you please let me know what caused the problem - is it a feature or a
bug? Do I have to run the cmd once only or evey time I load files. It is not
very user friendly!

I did what I thought was a common task. I inserted a CD, copied a zip file
onto my desktop and extracted the contents into a folder in Documents. Why
was I not automatically given permission when I did this? I consider that as
an administrator of the system I should be given "carte blanche" to do what I
like to any file I have created, copied etc.

This is the first windows system I have used that has required any sort of
command prompt for such a simple task. Also, you seem to imply that if I
upgrade to Business or Ultimate then the problem will disappear or become
easier to deal with. But really, for a task such as this surely the very
basic package should be able to cope.

Regards

"Jimmy Brush" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> You will need to give yourself permission to access these folders.
>
> I will assume here that you are running Home Basic or Premium, since you
> didn't mention what edition you are running ... if you have Business or
> Ultimate, there are easier ways to accomplish this.
>
> This will require some familiarity with the command prompt.
>
> - Click start
> - Type: cmd
> - Right-click it when it appears under programs, and click Run As
> Administrator
> - cd to the folder that you need access to (e.g., cd
> c:\users\USER\documents\folder)
> - Type: icacls . /grant USERF) /T /C /L /Q
> (Where USER is your user name)
> - Press enter
>

> --
> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Jimmy Brush

Re: Cannot delete or rename folder
It sounds like the files may be in use - files that are in use cannot be
deleted.

Try rebooting your computer in safe mode and then trying to delete the
files.