Searching for files by size

Inglo

Searching for files by size
I want to search a folder and all it's subfolders for files less than 20
Kb. When I try Vista says no results. There are 4000 files in said
folders and I'd guess about 2000 are less than 20 Kb. Why won't it find
them?
What do I have to do?
Pardon the whining, but XP never had this problem. Plus I don't
understand how this indexing works. The personal folder and start menu
that it keeps indexed, I pretty much know where all the files are in
there. They are categorized in subfolders and I don't ever need to use
search to find them. The only time I've ever used search is to sort
files by creation date or modified date or size, and most of the time I
only search in the Windows folder or Program Files folder usually
looking for some random dll or config setting file. Given the above, is
the Vista index useless to me, it seems to be recommended not to include
Program Files or the Windows system folder in the index, but like I said
if I ever search, this is where I search. If I'm searching my personal
folders the index doesn't seem to help.
More whining: is the index for people who just don't know how to
properly manage their files? My Documents folder has about 15 sub
folders and each subfolder probably has 5 or 6 subfolders. Same thing
with the Pictures folder, it has 5 main categories with each category
having sub categories and then individual folders for particular
sections under the sub category. All the file names are specific and
descriptive depending on the hierarchy. File naming should have a
simple taxonomy. What good is an index to me? Is it designed for
people who just dump all their files en masse into the Pictures or
Documents folder, or into folders generated with date names?

Rant over.

--
"Out here on the perimeter there are no stars"

Steve --Inglo--
Dave

Re: Searching for files by size
How are you trying this?

I just used Windows Explorer to go to a folder, and in the search window
typed size: <50000
and it found 216 files, ranging in size from 1 to 49 KB

"Inglo" <ioo@??.┐┐┐> wrote in message
news:k9Nli.46184$5j1.29434@newssvr21.news.prodigy. net...
>I want to search a folder and all it's subfolders for files less than 20
>Kb. When I try Vista says no results. There are 4000 files in said
>folders and I'd guess about 2000 are less than 20 Kb. Why won't it find
>them?
> What do I have to do? Pardon the whining, but XP never had this problem.
> Plus I don't understand how this indexing works. The personal folder and
> start menu that it keeps indexed, I pretty much know where all the files
> are in there. They are categorized in subfolders and I don't ever need to
> use search to find them. The only time I've ever used search is to sort
> files by creation date or modified date or size, and most of the time I
> only search in the Windows folder or Program Files folder usually looking
> for some random dll or config setting file. Given the above, is the Vista
> index useless to me, it seems to be recommended not to include Program
> Files or the Windows system folder in the index, but like I said if I ever
> search, this is where I search. If I'm searching my personal folders the
> index doesn't seem to help. More whining: is the index for people who
> just don't know how to properly manage their files? My Documents folder
> has about 15 sub folders and each subfolder probably has 5 or 6
> subfolders. Same thing with the Pictures folder, it has 5 main categories
> with each category having sub categories and then individual folders for
> particular sections under the sub category. All the file names are
> specific and descriptive depending on the hierarchy. File naming should
> have a simple taxonomy. What good is an index to me? Is it designed for
> people who just dump all their files en masse into the Pictures or
> Documents folder, or into folders generated with date names?
>
> Rant over.
>
> --
> "Out here on the perimeter there are no stars"
>
> Steve --Inglo--

Inglo

Dave wrote:
> How are you trying this?
>
> I just used Windows Explorer to go to a folder, and in the search window
> typed size: <50000
> and it found 216 files, ranging in size from 1 to 49 KB

Some folders it works on, some folders it doesn't. I have a folder that
I just checked has 85 files less than 50,000 bytes. When I do a search
size: <50000, it says there aren't any files that match my criteria.
This is a somewhat new folder, maybe it's because it hasn't been indexed
yet?