File associations: Vista Home Premium - Works 8

newell

File associations: Vista Home Premium - Works 8

I just purchased a new computer with Vista Home Premium and Works 8. I
have received two emails with attachments that I cannot open, one with
.doc and the other with .wpd.
When I try to open, I get this error message: "This file does not have
a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
association in the Set Associations control panel."
I have gone to "Start -> Default Programs -> Associate a file type...".
There are dozens of file types listed, but does not include .doc and
.wpd, probably two of the most common!
I have searched the Internet without any luck so far. I have seen the
"File formats that are supported in Works" at support.microsoft, but
the information appears useless for the problem described above.
Can someone please provide a solution?
Thanks.

--
newell
newell's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27840

http://forums.techarena.in

brink

Re: File associations: Vista Home Premium - Works 8

newell;378061 Wrote:
> I just purchased a new computer with Vista Home Premium and Works 8. I
> have received two emails with attachments that I cannot open, one with
> .doc and the other with .wpd.
> When I try to open, I get this error message: "This file does not have
> a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
> association in the Set Associations control panel."
> I have gone to "Start -> Default Programs -> Associate a file
> type...".
> There are dozens of file types listed, but does not include .doc and
> .wpd, probably two of the most common!
> I have searched the Internet without any luck so far. I have seen the
> "File formats that are supported in Works" at support.microsoft, but
> the information appears useless for the problem described above.
> Can someone please provide a solution?
> Thanks.
>

> --
> newell
> newell's Profile: 'newell's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
> Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27840)
> View this thread: 'File associations: Vista Home Premium - Works 8 -
> File Management' (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=781660)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Hi Newell,

You can right click on the file and click "Open With" and select the
default program that way to.

I attached a "Doc.reg" file for you to add the .doc file type to the
registry. Just save it to your desktop and right click on it and click
Merge to add it. To verify it's content, just change the file extension
to ".txt" (No quotes). The you can read it (Doc.txt) in Notepad. Then
you can set it's associations in Default Programs.

591

590

Sorry I do not have the ".wpd" file extension either.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

|Filename: Doc.reg |
|Download: http://vista64.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=591|

brink

'_www.Vistax64.com_' (http://www.vistax64.com/www.Vistax64.com)
*Please post feedback to help others.*
newell

Re: File associations: Vista Home Premium - Works 8

Hi Shawn,

I really appreciate your quick response. However, I got a little
spooked when your link had a security warning on it. I know those are
usually harmless, but I am such a neophyte, I err on the side of
caution unless I am personally aware of the source.

In the meantime, I had been exchanging emails about the problem with a
friend, and he provided a pretty simple solution which worked for both
file extensions.

I will outline it for the benefit of others with the same problem:

-- Save the email attachment (File --> Save attachments --> Save to
Desktop). Or drag to Desktop if you can. Put it on Desktop because it
is easier to find from there.

-- Open Works Word Processor (blank page): File --> Open --> [Look in
"Desktop" / File Name "___" / Files of Type (file type of attachment)
--> Open].

-- The document you want should be displayed: File --> Save. You
will be given a choice of file types, but, if in Works, might as well
save as .wps.

Hope this helps someone. Maybe someone more knowledgable (or less
cautious) than me can check out Shawn's solution.

newell;378565 Wrote:
> Hi Shawn,
>
> I really appreciate your quick response. However, I got a little
> spooked when your link had a security warning on it. I know those are
> usually harmless, but I am such a neophyte, I err on the side of
> caution unless I am personally aware of the source.
>
> In the meantime, I had been exchanging emails about the problem with a
> friend, and he provided a pretty simple solution which worked for both
> file extensions.
>
> I will outline it for the benefit of others with the same problem:
>
> -- Save the email attachment (File --> Save attachments --> Save to
> Desktop). Or drag to Desktop if you can. Put it on Desktop because it
> is easier to find from there.
>
> -- Open Works Word Processor (blank page): File --> Open --> [Look in
> "Desktop" / File Name "___" / Files of Type (file type of attachment)
> --> Open].
>
> -- The document you want should be displayed: File --> Save. You
> will be given a choice of file types, but, if in Works, might as well
> save as .wps.
>
> Hope this helps someone. Maybe someone more knowledgable (or less
> cautious) than me can check out Shawn's solution.
>

> --
> newell
> newell's Profile: 'newell's profile on TechArena Computer Hardware
> Support Forums of India'
> (http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=27840)
> View this thread: 'File associations: Vista Home Premium - Works 8 -
> File Management' (http://forums.techarena.in/showthread.php?t=781660)
>
> 'TechArena Community - Technology and Computer Hardware Support Forums
> of India' (http://forums.techarena.in)

Hi Newell,

I'm glad to hear you have it fixed. The security warning you got was
from UAC letting you know that a file (Doc.reg) from a unknown source
was wanting to make a change to your system (merge with registry). I do
not blame you for being cautious. It was only a patch solution to add
(merge) the .Doc file type extension to your registry so that you could
set it's defaults.

Regards,
Shawn