Remapping user profiles or "My Documents"

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXM=?=

Remapping user profiles or "My Documents"
In the event that I want to format my OS, reinstall it or upgrade it, i will
have to backup my documents folder and all the nonsense inside it. To fix
that problem, ive just created a partition on my hard drive called
"Documents" and another called "Pictures". That way files i actually want to
keep, are not located and taking up space on the operating system drive.

My question is: Is there a way to tell windows that this is the new location
of "My Documents" and "My Pictures" essentially just remapping their location
so that programs that use "My Documents" (for example games often store save
games inside your My Documents folder) will begin storing their files in the
new partitions i've created?
=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXM=?=

RE: Remapping user profiles or "My Documents"
Actually its partially answered. There is still the hidden folder called
"Application Data" hidden in my old C:\user\jonaS\appdata folder taking up
space :P any way to tell windows to store this somewehre else?

"Jonas" wrote:

> Answered my own question!
>
> I click start, right click on either "Documents" or "Pictures" then click on
> properties. I then click on the Location tab and hit the "move" button and
> select the new drive.
>
> "Jonas" wrote:
>
> > In the event that I want to format my OS, reinstall it or upgrade it, i will
> > have to backup my documents folder and all the nonsense inside it. To fix
> > that problem, ive just created a partition on my hard drive called
> > "Documents" and another called "Pictures". That way files i actually want to
> > keep, are not located and taking up space on the operating system drive.
> >
> > My question is: Is there a way to tell windows that this is the new location
> > of "My Documents" and "My Pictures" essentially just remapping their location
> > so that programs that use "My Documents" (for example games often store save
> > games inside your My Documents folder) will begin storing their files in the
> > new partitions i've created?

Ray Rogers

Re: Remapping user profiles or "My Documents"
There's no need to do that with Vista anymore, because when you reinstall
Vista it automatically moves all of your user data out of harms way into a
folder called "Windows Old". Then it lays down the OS, without any leftovers
from the previous version.

That being said, there is NO substitute for a regular backup program.
Whether you use Windows backup or another one is your call, but get one that
will do a scheduled backup. I have one that runs every night and then once a
week it backs up the whole weeks worth of nightly backups to a removable
drive. Then the cycle starts again.
--
Ray Rogers