Zip files

=?Utf-8?B?V2Fpc3Rjb2F0?=

Zip files
Hi all,

I've suddenly lost my ability to unzip files.

Vista (business) doesn't seem to have an associated program, and I don't
know where to find it. Anyone know?

I don't really want to shell out 40 smackers for winzip if I don't have to.

I was able to decompress when I had XP, anyone know what happened?

CZ

Re: Zip files
I use Zip Genius (it is free)

http://www.zipgenius.it/eng/index.php
Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Zip files
Waistcoat

You didn't give any details about where you are looking? Right click a .zip
file and you should see an item called "Extract All" on the pop-up menu.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

"Waistcoat" <Waistcoat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi all,
>
> I've suddenly lost my ability to unzip files.
>
> Vista (business) doesn't seem to have an associated program, and I don't
> know where to find it. Anyone know?
>
> I don't really want to shell out 40 smackers for winzip if I don't have
> to.
>
> I was able to decompress when I had XP, anyone know what happened?

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgSm9obnNvbg==?=

Re: Zip files
That's just it! There is NO "Extract All" option!

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> Waistcoat
>
> You didn't give any details about where you are looking? Right click a .zip
> file and you should see an item called "Extract All" on the pop-up menu.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Waistcoat" <Waistcoat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've suddenly lost my ability to unzip files.
> >
> > Vista (business) doesn't seem to have an associated program, and I don't
> > know where to find it. Anyone know?
> >
> > I don't really want to shell out 40 smackers for winzip if I don't have
> > to.
> >
> > I was able to decompress when I had XP, anyone know what happened?

=?Utf-8?B?V2F5bmUgSm9obnNvbg==?=

Re: Zip files
Thanks Ramesh. That fixed it! Why doesn't Windows Update fix common
problems like this?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The .zip file association fix is available here:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Wayne Johnson" <Wayne Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A570F7-1FBF-4F6B-BB08-CC20A99851CE@microsoft.com...
> That's just it! There is NO "Extract All" option!
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Waistcoat
> >
> > You didn't give any details about where you are looking? Right click a ..zip
> > file and you should see an item called "Extract All" on the pop-up menu.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User
> >

> > "Waistcoat" <Waistcoat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I've suddenly lost my ability to unzip files.
> > >
> > > Vista (business) doesn't seem to have an associated program, and I don't
> > > know where to find it. Anyone know?
> > >
> > > I don't really want to shell out 40 smackers for winzip if I don't have
> > > to.
> > >
> > > I was able to decompress when I had XP, anyone know what happened?

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Zip files
You're welcome Wayne.

>> Windows Update fix common problems like this?

Good idea. As long as it does not interfere with the user's preferences (file assoc), then it\'s fine.

--

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> The .zip file association fix is available here:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Wayne Johnson" <Wayne Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A570F7-1FBF-4F6B-BB08-CC20A99851CE@microsoft.com...
> That's just it! There is NO "Extract All" option!
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
> > Waistcoat
> >
> > You didn't give any details about where you are looking? Right click a ..zip
> > file and you should see an item called "Extract All" on the pop-up menu.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Ronnie Vernon
> > Microsoft MVP
> > Windows Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?V2Fpc3Rjb2F0?=

Re: Zip files
Could windows update not have some sort of add-on "file association check"
that could allow the user to choose which files to reassociate with the
windows defaults, in much the same way that when I install, for example,
realplayer, it gives me a list of file associations I can make?

Maybe a wizard is the order of the day.

Thanks all for your help though.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> You're welcome Wayne.
>
> >> Windows Update fix common problems like this?

> Good idea. As long as it does not interfere with the user's preferences (file assoc), then it\'s fine.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "Wayne Johnson" <WayneJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72E37907-6463-4833-869D-1288756E7159@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Ramesh. That fixed it! Why doesn't Windows Update fix common
> problems like this?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > The .zip file association fix is available here:
> > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> > Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Wayne Johnson" <Wayne Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A570F7-1FBF-4F6B-BB08-CC20A99851CE@microsoft.com...
> > That's just it! There is NO "Extract All" option!
> >
> > "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Waistcoat
> > >
> > > You didn't give any details about where you are looking? Right click a ..zip
> > > file and you should see an item called "Extract All" on the pop-up menu.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Ronnie Vernon
> > > Microsoft MVP
> > > Windows Shell/User

=?Utf-8?B?c3RldmU=?=

Re: Zip files
Hi Ramesh,
I to had the same problem with zip files in that they would open up in excel
and it would look like it was in Chinese. I installed link you said and it
still does not work. How do i now unistall the fix(link).
steve

"Waistcoat" wrote:

> Could windows update not have some sort of add-on "file association check"
> that could allow the user to choose which files to reassociate with the
> windows defaults, in much the same way that when I install, for example,
> realplayer, it gives me a list of file associations I can make?
>
> Maybe a wizard is the order of the day.
>
> Thanks all for your help though.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > You're welcome Wayne.

> > Good idea. As long as it does not interfere with the user's preferences (file assoc), then it\'s fine.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> > Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Wayne Johnson" <WayneJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72E37907-6463-4833-869D-1288756E7159@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Ramesh. That fixed it! Why doesn't Windows Update fix common
> > problems like this?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > The .zip file association fix is available here:
> > > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> > > Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> > >

> > > "Wayne Johnson" <Wayne Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A570F7-1FBF-4F6B-BB08-CC20A99851CE@microsoft.com...
> > > That's just it! There is NO "Extract All" option!

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Zip files
Hi Steve,

>> How do i now unistall the fix(link)

You don't have to uninstall the fix. The fix simply restore the factory default associations for .zip file types.

Coming to the problem, did you by any chance use the "Open With" dialog to associate .zip files with Microsoft Excel?

--
Regards,

"Waistcoat" wrote:

> Could windows update not have some sort of add-on "file association check"
> that could allow the user to choose which files to reassociate with the
> windows defaults, in much the same way that when I install, for example,
> realplayer, it gives me a list of file associations I can make?
>
> Maybe a wizard is the order of the day.
>
> Thanks all for your help though.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > You're welcome Wayne.

> > Good idea. As long as it does not interfere with the user's preferences (file assoc), then it\'s fine.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> > Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "Wayne Johnson" <WayneJohnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72E37907-6463-4833-869D-1288756E7159@microsoft.com...
> > Thanks Ramesh. That fixed it! Why doesn't Windows Update fix common
> > problems like this?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > The .zip file association fix is available here:
> > > http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/105/1/
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> > > Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> > >

> > > "Wayne Johnson" <Wayne Johnson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:44A570F7-1FBF-4F6B-BB08-CC20A99851CE@microsoft.com...
> > > That's just it! There is NO "Extract All" option!

=?Utf-8?B?UGlsYXRl?=

Re: Zip files
Thanks it helped me too, but the default icon wasn't resurrected :-(