Vista agonies

Blue Arrow

Vista agonies
I took delivery of Vista on Monday and honeymoon period over - I want a
divorce.

Seriously though can someone explain what is going on.

1) Sync deleted my 'documents' folder on the server completely - I put this
down to lack of familiarity.

2) I had been working on a couple of files last hight and went out for a
walk. Came back to see that it had wiped of most of my work bar one file and
standard folders like My Music and so on.

3) This morning I decided to ditch 'sync' in favour of 'briefcase'. Now, it
starts to update and about 15 mins later it comes back saying briefcase is
'read only' !! Error message:
"The files cannot be copied because it is read only disk or a share. Make it
writable and ..."

My documents folder is around 3Gb and it gives the message when it has
copied about 1.3Gb.

My XP running on Pentium 3/700MHz/300Mb RAM had no problem. It used to fly
through.

Vista is running on Core 2 duo/1.8GHz/2Gb RAM

Help before I go gray, please.

Julian

RE: Vista agonies
Ditch Briefcase too - the Vista version is worse than the old XP version (MS
reinvented the wheel and came up with the log)

Use SyncToy 1.4 which is fast, effective, reliable, generally wonderful and,
surprisingly, also from Microsoft (1.4 is the Vista compatible version,
though a new version may be due "soon" with some incremental improvements
this one is perfectly fine)

[Your briefcase woes could have been worse... see my and other older posts...]

Once you get SyncToy you can relax...

Julian

"Blue Arrow" wrote:

> I took delivery of Vista on Monday and honeymoon period over - I want a
> divorce.
>
> Seriously though can someone explain what is going on.
>
> 1) Sync deleted my 'documents' folder on the server completely - I put this
> down to lack of familiarity.
>
> 2) I had been working on a couple of files last hight and went out for a
> walk. Came back to see that it had wiped of most of my work bar one file and
> standard folders like My Music and so on.
>
> 3) This morning I decided to ditch 'sync' in favour of 'briefcase'. Now, it
> starts to update and about 15 mins later it comes back saying briefcase is
> 'read only' !! Error message:
> "The files cannot be copied because it is read only disk or a share. Make it
> writable and ..."
>
> My documents folder is around 3Gb and it gives the message when it has
> copied about 1.3Gb.
>
> My XP running on Pentium 3/700MHz/300Mb RAM had no problem. It used to fly
> through.
>
> Vista is running on Core 2 duo/1.8GHz/2Gb RAM
>
> Help before I go gray, please.

Blue Arrow

Re: Vista agonies
Thanks a bunch. You have saved my bacon, not to mention the marriage.
Many Thanks
"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ditch Briefcase too - the Vista version is worse than the old XP version
> (MS
> reinvented the wheel and came up with the log)
>
> Use SyncToy 1.4 which is fast, effective, reliable, generally wonderful
> and,
> surprisingly, also from Microsoft (1.4 is the Vista compatible version,
> though a new version may be due "soon" with some incremental improvements
> this one is perfectly fine)
>
> [Your briefcase woes could have been worse... see my and other older
> posts...]
>
> Once you get SyncToy you can relax...
>
> Julian
>
> "Blue Arrow" wrote:
>
>> I took delivery of Vista on Monday and honeymoon period over - I want a
>> divorce.
>>
>> Seriously though can someone explain what is going on.
>>
>> 1) Sync deleted my 'documents' folder on the server completely - I put
>> this
>> down to lack of familiarity.
>>
>> 2) I had been working on a couple of files last hight and went out for a
>> walk. Came back to see that it had wiped of most of my work bar one file
>> and
>> standard folders like My Music and so on.
>>
>> 3) This morning I decided to ditch 'sync' in favour of 'briefcase'. Now,
>> it
>> starts to update and about 15 mins later it comes back saying briefcase
>> is
>> 'read only' !! Error message:
>> "The files cannot be copied because it is read only disk or a share. Make
>> it
>> writable and ..."
>>
>> My documents folder is around 3Gb and it gives the message when it has
>> copied about 1.3Gb.
>>
>> My XP running on Pentium 3/700MHz/300Mb RAM had no problem. It used to
>> fly
>> through.
>>
>> Vista is running on Core 2 duo/1.8GHz/2Gb RAM
>>
>> Help before I go gray, please.

Julian

Re: Vista agonies
Glad to be of assistance! Had some good support here from others here and its
a pleasure to return the favour indirectly

Just watch out that your path depth/path length isn't too excessive... I
have seen it get confused at the very limits of the spec, but errors are
clearly presented and easily rectified once you see what the issue is.

One extra tip: it can be run from a command line and thus you can use the
Vista Task Scheduler to take backups at a time of your choosing