Default Folder Views

CJM

IIRC, I have this same problem in XP, so it may be a problem in my
approach...

I like to have different views applied for different folder structures, and
both XP and Vista cater for this in theory. I can specify that a folder (and
all sub-folders) contains documents, music, pictures etc... and thus a view
appropriate to that file type should be applied.

However, in many cases it gets a bit confusing. Windows often decides that
an ordinary document folder is full of pictures and visa versa, This
wouldn't be so bad if I could overrule Vista, but it doesnt alway work when
I apply a folder template to a folder and all sub-folders. Invariably it
changes the template for a top-level folder but not for all of the sub
folders. And I think that if I return to the top-level folder at a later
time, the view may be changed again.

Has anyone else had problems like this? I see it often in XP too, so I
assume it is a 'feature' of the OS rather than a fault. Anybody know what I
can do about it? All I want to do is have Windows remember my settings for a
folder and apply is to all sub-folders in the tree...

CJM

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Default Folder Views
Odd that your seeing that, in my opinion. Vista seems to have improved
folder view handling. In XP, 'Also apply this template...' only affected
subfolders that had not been viewed. In Vista, 'Also apply this
template...' deletes any saved subfolder views to ensure the template is
applied.

One thing that remains the same is that saved views are dependent on the
Namespace path. The view settings saved for 'Desktop\<UserName>\Documents'
are not applied when you view
'Desktop\Computer\C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents' -- perhaps your applying
the template via one path & then checking the view via another.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]