Sort by name doesnt sort correctly in my opinion

douglasgblake

Sort by name doesnt sort correctly in my opinion
Explorer does not seem to sort files by name in the order I expect.
e.g.
0x2A.txt
0x20.txt
0xA2.txt
is the order shown but I expected item 1 to be after item 2.
Doug Blake
dblake@starbridgesystems.co.uk
R. C. White

Re: Sort by name doesnt sort correctly in my opinion
Hi, Douglas.

You might be interested in this page by MVP Ramesh:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/xpsortorder.htm

And in this KB article:
The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
different in Windows XP than it is in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827/

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"douglasgblake" <douglasgblake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Explorer does not seem to sort files by name in the order I expect.
> e.g.
> 0x2A.txt
> 0x20.txt
> 0xA2.txt
> is the order shown but I expected item 1 to be after item 2.
> Doug Blake
> dblake@starbridgesystems.co.uk

mykee

Re: Sort by name doesnt sort correctly in my opinion
R.C.
Is there similiar solution for Vista?
The problem is the same in Vista but the registry solutions mentioned by MVP
Ramesh and the KB article do not apply.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Douglas.
>
> You might be interested in this page by MVP Ramesh:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/xpsortorder.htm
>
> And in this KB article:
> The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
> different in Windows XP than it is in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827/
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "douglasgblake" <douglasgblake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Explorer does not seem to sort files by name in the order I expect.
> > e.g.
> > 0x2A.txt
> > 0x20.txt
> > 0xA2.txt
> > is the order shown but I expected item 1 to be after item 2.
> > Doug Blake
> > dblake@starbridgesystems.co.uk

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Sort by name doesnt sort correctly in my opinion
Works fine here, mykee. Important thing is that you need to create the value under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and not under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area.

See:

Configure Windows Vista to use the sort order that is used by Windows 2000:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/227/1/

--
Regards,

"R. C. White" wrote:

> Hi, Douglas.
>
> You might be interested in this page by MVP Ramesh:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/xpsortorder.htm
>
> And in this KB article:
> The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
> different in Windows XP than it is in Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827/
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "douglasgblake" <douglasgblake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Explorer does not seem to sort files by name in the order I expect.
> > e.g.
> > 0x2A.txt
> > 0x20.txt
> > 0xA2.txt
> > is the order shown but I expected item 1 to be after item 2.
> > Doug Blake
> > dblake@starbridgesystems.co.uk

mykee

Re: Sort by name doesnt sort correctly in my opinion
Finally some results.

In XP, the registry looked like what the article had shown but in my version
of Vista the keys under HKEY_CURRENT_USER\....\POLICY did not show \EXPLORER.

After creating the key "explorer" and then creating the DWORD value,
everything works fine.

Thank you.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Works fine here, mykee. Important thing is that you need to create the value under HKEY_CURRENT_USER, and not under the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE area.
>
> See:
>
> Configure Windows Vista to use the sort order that is used by Windows 2000:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/227/1/
>
> --
> Regards,

> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "mykee" <mykee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:572043F7-CF42-42CE-8E5F-95FBE7B4F768@microsoft.com...
> R.C.
> Is there similiar solution for Vista?
> The problem is the same in Vista but the registry solutions mentioned by MVP
> Ramesh and the KB article do not apply.
>
> "R. C. White" wrote:
>
> > Hi, Douglas.
> >
> > You might be interested in this page by MVP Ramesh:
> > http://windowsxp.mvps.org/xpsortorder.htm
> >
> > And in this KB article:
> > The sort order for files and folders whose names contain numerals is
> > different in Windows XP than it is in Windows 2000
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/319827/
> >
> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX
> > rc@grandecom.net
> > Microsoft Windows MVP
> > (Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)
> >
> > "douglasgblake" <douglasgblake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Explorer does not seem to sort files by name in the order I expect.
> > > e.g.
> > > 0x2A.txt
> > > 0x20.txt
> > > 0xA2.txt
> > > is the order shown but I expected item 1 to be after item 2.
> > > Doug Blake
> > > dblake@starbridgesystems.co.uk

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Sort by name doesnt sort correctly in my opinion
Thanks for the update!

--
Regards,