Help Please-Lost files downloaded are disapearing

=?Utf-8?B?aGFycmlzZXc=?=

Help Please-Lost files downloaded are disapearing
after downloading some free videos a nasa images for my class and bitlord,
the files don't show up where I install them, but when I go to find them the
folder is not there. The only way I can see the files is to open VLC player
and then I have to copy and paste them into a music or video folder to play
it. It is weird and I don't know why this is happening, because it didn't
happen on xp.
Kerry Brown

Re: Help Please-Lost files downloaded are disapearing
Where did you think you saved them?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

"harrisew" <harrisew@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> after downloading some free videos a nasa images for my class and bitlord,
> the files don't show up where I install them, but when I go to find them
> the
> folder is not there. The only way I can see the files is to open VLC
> player
> and then I have to copy and paste them into a music or video folder to
> play
> it. It is weird and I don't know why this is happening, because it didn't
> happen on xp.

Jimmy Brush

Re: Help Please-Lost files downloaded are disapearing
Hello,

This happens if you try to download files to a security-restricted area of
your computer, such as:

c:\
c:\program files
c:\windows

The files are downloaded, but will be visible only to non-Vista-compatible
applications, such as VLC player.

To see the files, browse to the folder you saved them to using Windows
Explorer and click the 'Show compatability files' button on the toolbar.

To avoid this problem, save files inside your user folder (such as the
Downloads or Documents folder).

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Ian

Re: Help Please-Lost files downloaded are disapearing
Is there any reason this is the case? I mean, every game you buy installs to
Programs Files; and you even listed the C:\ as a "security-restricted area"!

Is there some way to tell vista to "Show all Files" ? I've been running a
level editor for a game lately, half of the files created show up normally,
but the other half only showed up after I clicked "Show compatibility files";
why is that? Under properties on the .exe i've checked the "Run as
Administrator", but I *am* the administrator; there are no other accounts or
users on this machine.

I'm about ready to move back to XP, I have been using a Vista PC for only 2
weeks now (it was an Xmas present) and I have *never* had so many problems as
I am having now.

-ian