unable to rename network folders with windows Vista

Ed

unable to rename network folders with windows Vista
This is also mentioned here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2208&SiteID=17

I am unable to rename a new file or folder on a network share with
Windows Vista Business Edition.
When I try, it pulls up a "Copy Folder" dialog box.
This is what the box says:
The U:\Drivers folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or
deleted.
Do you want to create it?

The U:\Drivers folder is the folder that contains the object that I'm
trying to rename.

If I say yes, it just pops up again. So I have to say no.

I can create a new folder, and I can move them around.

I have some third party apps installed and Office 2007.
If I try to save a file with Word 2007 to a network share, it will
work, but I will get this error:
There has been a network or file permission error. The network
connection may be lost.

There are 3 New Dell Optiplex 745 PCs with this Vista image that I
installed using the SMS 2003 OSD No touch image deployment pack.
>From what I have read on other news groups, this may be a factor.

I used the SMS Capture WinPE boot disc without modifications (other
than Dell NIC drivers) to capture the image.

I did use sysprep.
I installed all the newest drivers.
It is the member of the domain.

zbob

Re: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista
I have this exact same problem on an HP laptop running pre-installed
Vista Ultimate 64 bit. I can create/copy/move a file to a network
share and I can delete that file, but I cannot rename that file or
folder. I cannot rename any existing files or folders either, but I
can delete them. The file shares are hosted on 2 Windows XP machines
and a samba server. I've done a system restore back to the "factory
fresh" state and I still have the same problem.

On 31 Jan 2007 17:50:10 -0800, "Ed" <Edwin.Hammond@gmail.com> wrote:

>This is also mentioned here:
>http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2208&SiteID=17
>
>I am unable to rename a new file or folder on a network share with
>Windows Vista Business Edition.
>When I try, it pulls up a "Copy Folder" dialog box.
>This is what the box says:
>The U:\Drivers folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or
>deleted.
>Do you want to create it?
>
>The U:\Drivers folder is the folder that contains the object that I'm
>trying to rename.
>
>If I say yes, it just pops up again. So I have to say no.
>
>I can create a new folder, and I can move them around.
>
>I have some third party apps installed and Office 2007.
>If I try to save a file with Word 2007 to a network share, it will
>work, but I will get this error:
>There has been a network or file permission error. The network
>connection may be lost.
>
>There are 3 New Dell Optiplex 745 PCs with this Vista image that I
>installed using the SMS 2003 OSD No touch image deployment pack.
>>From what I have read on other news groups, this may be a factor.

>I used the SMS Capture WinPE boot disc without modifications (other
>than Dell NIC drivers) to capture the image.
>
>I did use sysprep.
>I installed all the newest drivers.
>It is the member of the domain.

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZSBDb29wZXI=?=

RE: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista
Me too... Exactly... on an ACER laptop running Vista Business.

It happens on any network share from a Win98 shared drive to my W2003 domain
server share... but I can rename folders and files on the local drive OK.

"Ed" wrote:

> This is also mentioned here:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2208&SiteID=17
>
> I am unable to rename a new file or folder on a network share with
> Windows Vista Business Edition.
> When I try, it pulls up a "Copy Folder" dialog box.
> This is what the box says:
> The U:\Drivers folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or
> deleted.
> Do you want to create it?
>
> The U:\Drivers folder is the folder that contains the object that I'm
> trying to rename.
>
> If I say yes, it just pops up again. So I have to say no.
>
> I can create a new folder, and I can move them around.
>
> I have some third party apps installed and Office 2007.
> If I try to save a file with Word 2007 to a network share, it will
> work, but I will get this error:
> There has been a network or file permission error. The network
> connection may be lost.
>
> There are 3 New Dell Optiplex 745 PCs with this Vista image that I
> installed using the SMS 2003 OSD No touch image deployment pack.
> >From what I have read on other news groups, this may be a factor.

> I used the SMS Capture WinPE boot disc without modifications (other
> than Dell NIC drivers) to capture the image.
>
> I did use sysprep.
> I installed all the newest drivers.
> It is the member of the domain.

sdolha@hotmail.com

Re: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista
The same here also, on Acer TravelMate 6463 WLMi, Vista Business.
Microsoft guys, please prepare a fix asap - we're not confortable with
this. Thanks!

Sorin Dolha, DlhSoft

Ed a scris:
> This is also mentioned here:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2208&SiteID=17
>
> I am unable to rename a new file or folder on a network share with
> Windows Vista Business Edition.
> When I try, it pulls up a "Copy Folder" dialog box.
> This is what the box says:
> The U:\Drivers folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or
> deleted.
> Do you want to create it?
>
> The U:\Drivers folder is the folder that contains the object that I'm
> trying to rename.
>
> If I say yes, it just pops up again. So I have to say no.
>
> I can create a new folder, and I can move them around.
>
> I have some third party apps installed and Office 2007.
> If I try to save a file with Word 2007 to a network share, it will
> work, but I will get this error:
> There has been a network or file permission error. The network
> connection may be lost.
>
> There are 3 New Dell Optiplex 745 PCs with this Vista image that I
> installed using the SMS 2003 OSD No touch image deployment pack.
> >From what I have read on other news groups, this may be a factor.

> I used the SMS Capture WinPE boot disc without modifications (other
> than Dell NIC drivers) to capture the image.
>
> I did use sysprep.
> I installed all the newest drivers.
> It is the member of the domain.

=?Utf-8?B?QW5kcmV3IER1bmNhbg==?=

Re: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista
Oh great! Me too, TravelMate 4234WLMi (customised by Acer) running Vista
Business. Exactly the same problem as everyone else.

AD.

"sdolha@hotmail.com" wrote:

> The same here also, on Acer TravelMate 6463 WLMi, Vista Business.
> Microsoft guys, please prepare a fix asap - we're not confortable with
> this. Thanks!
>
> Sorin Dolha, DlhSoft
>
> Ed a scris:
> > This is also mentioned here:
> > http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2208&SiteID=17
> >
> > I am unable to rename a new file or folder on a network share with
> > Windows Vista Business Edition.
> > When I try, it pulls up a "Copy Folder" dialog box.
> > This is what the box says:
> > The U:\Drivers folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or
> > deleted.
> > Do you want to create it?
> >
> > The U:\Drivers folder is the folder that contains the object that I'm
> > trying to rename.
> >
> > If I say yes, it just pops up again. So I have to say no.
> >
> > I can create a new folder, and I can move them around.
> >
> > I have some third party apps installed and Office 2007.
> > If I try to save a file with Word 2007 to a network share, it will
> > work, but I will get this error:
> > There has been a network or file permission error. The network
> > connection may be lost.
> >
> > There are 3 New Dell Optiplex 745 PCs with this Vista image that I
> > installed using the SMS 2003 OSD No touch image deployment pack.
> > >From what I have read on other news groups, this may be a factor.

> > I used the SMS Capture WinPE boot disc without modifications (other
> > than Dell NIC drivers) to capture the image.
> >
> > I did use sysprep.
> > I installed all the newest drivers.
> > It is the member of the domain.

=?Utf-8?B?Uko=?=

RE: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista
Yes, like everyone else I am having the exact same issue!!!!

"Ed" wrote:

> This is also mentioned here:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/...2208&SiteID=17
>
> I am unable to rename a new file or folder on a network share with
> Windows Vista Business Edition.
> When I try, it pulls up a "Copy Folder" dialog box.
> This is what the box says:
> The U:\Drivers folder does not exist. The file may have been moved or
> deleted.
> Do you want to create it?
>
> The U:\Drivers folder is the folder that contains the object that I'm
> trying to rename.
>
> If I say yes, it just pops up again. So I have to say no.
>
> I can create a new folder, and I can move them around.
>
> I have some third party apps installed and Office 2007.
> If I try to save a file with Word 2007 to a network share, it will
> work, but I will get this error:
> There has been a network or file permission error. The network
> connection may be lost.
>
> There are 3 New Dell Optiplex 745 PCs with this Vista image that I
> installed using the SMS 2003 OSD No touch image deployment pack.
> >From what I have read on other news groups, this may be a factor.

> I used the SMS Capture WinPE boot disc without modifications (other
> than Dell NIC drivers) to capture the image.
>
> I did use sysprep.
> I installed all the newest drivers.
> It is the member of the domain.

Newbie

Ontittech is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
here is the solution you have all been looking for.
Your are correct. It seems to be an issue with the OEM version of Vista and how the new Search tool works

ISSUE: Unable to Rename/Move Files/Folders in Network Drive
Symptoms: the error "The "\\servername\sharedfolder" does not exist. The file may have been moved or deleted. Do you want to create it?" comes up if a user copies a file from the Share, edits the file and then tries to copy it back. You are however able to successfully save the file locally.
A second issue was not being able to rename folders/files on the Share. Again locally is fine just over the network is an issue.
Cause : Possibly the way the OEM vender packaged the OS.
Resolution : Create the parameters key in the following location :
HKLM/system/currentcontrolset/services/csc/parameters

Then within the parameters key, create a DWORD Value named FormatDatabase with a value of 1 (hex) then reboot the machine.
ObieOne

Re: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista

Thanks Ontittech,

I was just about to pull my hair of, if I have any left.

--
ObieOne
ObieOne's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=34210

http://forums.techarena.in

MrMerv is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had the exact problem and did the registry edit for the csc/parameters and still not working.
Also tried disabling offling files did not do it.

Any one else have a solution for this?
We have Dell D620 laptops and all doing the same from Vista, but xp laptops works.
jomekim

Re: unable to rename network folders with windows Vista

Brilliant! Tried HP support and they did not have a clue.

--
jomekim
jomekim's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=36818