Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search

bvandew

Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search
In the new Vista search implementation, what is the significance of the
"Index this drive for faster searching" checkbox on the drive Properties
dialog? This checkbox has been there since XP or before. Does this have any
bearing on Vista search?

--Bruce

mikeyhsd

Re: Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search
yeah and it seems like it re-indexes every time you delete something.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

"Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message news:45C0D69D.3010304@vistarip.com...
Yes, Vista uses the indexing service for the search functions. It
actually works very well. I have my MP3 folder indexed and it makes
finding my music very easy!

It does hit the HD pretty hard when it does it's initial indexing, though.

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

bvandew wrote:
> In the new Vista search implementation, what is the significance of the
> "Index this drive for faster searching" checkbox on the drive Properties
> dialog? This checkbox has been there since XP or before. Does this have
> any bearing on Vista search?
>
> --Bruce

=?Utf-8?B?amFjaw==?=

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> Yes, if you uncheck the "Index this drive for faster searching" or "Index
> this folder for faster searching" then it will affect whether Vista indexing
> happens on this folder. However, there's also another mechanism via the
> Indexing Options Control Panel -> Modify ... to control which parts of the
> drive are indexed. I'd recommend using the Indexing Options Control Panel to
> control what is indexed.
>
> Reindexing shouldn't be happening when something gets deleted. We do have to
> do some work to remove the data about the deleted item out of the index of
> course. But we use a whole variety of "back-off" techniques to minimize the
> work we do while the user is actively using the computer - tell me more if
> you are seeing something that looks problematic here ...
>
> Dave Wood
> Developer, Windows Find & Organize
>

> "mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message
> yeah and it seems like it re-indexes every time you delete something.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Yes, Vista uses the indexing service for the search functions. It
> actually works very well. I have my MP3 folder indexed and it makes
> finding my music very easy!
>
> It does hit the HD pretty hard when it does it's initial indexing, though.
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> bvandew wrote:
> > In the new Vista search implementation, what is the significance of the
> > "Index this drive for faster searching" checkbox on the drive Properties
> > dialog? This checkbox has been there since XP or before. Does this have
> > any bearing on Vista search?
> >
> > --Bruce

I need to turn off indexing. its killing my drive and my system is hanging.
How do I do it.
Dustin Harper

Re: Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search
You can go to the properties of the C: drive and uncheck the option to
"index this drive for faster searching". Or in the control panel under
indexing, you can turn it off.

Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com
http://www.vistarip.com

jack wrote:

> "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, if you uncheck the "Index this drive for faster searching" or "Index
>> this folder for faster searching" then it will affect whether Vista indexing
>> happens on this folder. However, there's also another mechanism via the
>> Indexing Options Control Panel -> Modify ... to control which parts of the
>> drive are indexed. I'd recommend using the Indexing Options Control Panel to
>> control what is indexed.
>>
>> Reindexing shouldn't be happening when something gets deleted. We do have to
>> do some work to remove the data about the deleted item out of the index of
>> course. But we use a whole variety of "back-off" techniques to minimize the
>> work we do while the user is actively using the computer - tell me more if
>> you are seeing something that looks problematic here ...
>>
>> Dave Wood
>> Developer, Windows Find & Organize
>>

>> "mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message
>> yeah and it seems like it re-indexes every time you delete something.
>>

>> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>>
>> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, Vista uses the indexing service for the search functions. It
>> actually works very well. I have my MP3 folder indexed and it makes
>> finding my music very easy!
>>
>> It does hit the HD pretty hard when it does it's initial indexing, though.
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>

>> bvandew wrote:
>>> In the new Vista search implementation, what is the significance of the
>>> "Index this drive for faster searching" checkbox on the drive Properties
>>> dialog? This checkbox has been there since XP or before. Does this have
>>> any bearing on Vista search?
>>>
>>> --Bruce
>>>

> I need to turn off indexing. its killing my drive and my system is hanging.
> How do I do it.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4=?=

Re: Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search
Hi Dave, a question for you, I'm trying to find certain files containing a
specific text. Those files are on a network drive and therefore can't be
indexed.
Well I've been trying for 2 days now with no success. I even copied the
files accross to my computer thinking that it would make a difference if they
were indexed and still no luck.

How can I search for files containing a specific text? Do I need to take the
indexing off?

This is quite frustrating

"Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:

> Yes, if you uncheck the "Index this drive for faster searching" or "Index
> this folder for faster searching" then it will affect whether Vista indexing
> happens on this folder. However, there's also another mechanism via the
> Indexing Options Control Panel -> Modify ... to control which parts of the
> drive are indexed. I'd recommend using the Indexing Options Control Panel to
> control what is indexed.
>
> Reindexing shouldn't be happening when something gets deleted. We do have to
> do some work to remove the data about the deleted item out of the index of
> course. But we use a whole variety of "back-off" techniques to minimize the
> work we do while the user is actively using the computer - tell me more if
> you are seeing something that looks problematic here ...
>
> Dave Wood
> Developer, Windows Find & Organize
>

> "mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message
> yeah and it seems like it re-indexes every time you delete something.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>
> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
> Yes, Vista uses the indexing service for the search functions. It
> actually works very well. I have my MP3 folder indexed and it makes
> finding my music very easy!
>
> It does hit the HD pretty hard when it does it's initial indexing, though.
>
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>

> bvandew wrote:
> > In the new Vista search implementation, what is the significance of the
> > "Index this drive for faster searching" checkbox on the drive Properties
> > dialog? This checkbox has been there since XP or before. Does this have
> > any bearing on Vista search?
> >
> > --Bruce

Re: Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search
If you are still on about ASP files they are searched by the html filter
which only takes content (what you can see if you view it in a web browser)
so you wont find a com error number in signed decimal unless it's in the
content. You can change the filter in Control Panel - Indexing Options -
File Types. The text filter does ANSI/Unicode depending if there is a
unicode header.

There are setting to search content or not in the Control Panel - Folder
Options - Search.

Have you thought about the impact on the network to transfer all the data to
your computer to have the contents to be parsed.
"Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Dave, a question for you, I'm trying to find certain files containing a
> specific text. Those files are on a network drive and therefore can't be
> indexed.
> Well I've been trying for 2 days now with no success. I even copied the
> files accross to my computer thinking that it would make a difference if
> they
> were indexed and still no luck.
>
> How can I search for files containing a specific text? Do I need to take
> the
> indexing off?
>
> This is quite frustrating
>
> "Dave Wood [MS]" wrote:
>
>> Yes, if you uncheck the "Index this drive for faster searching" or "Index
>> this folder for faster searching" then it will affect whether Vista
>> indexing
>> happens on this folder. However, there's also another mechanism via the
>> Indexing Options Control Panel -> Modify ... to control which parts of
>> the
>> drive are indexed. I'd recommend using the Indexing Options Control Panel
>> control what is indexed.
>>
>> Reindexing shouldn't be happening when something gets deleted. We do have
>> do some work to remove the data about the deleted item out of the index
>> of
>> course. But we use a whole variety of "back-off" techniques to minimize
>> the
>> work we do while the user is actively using the computer - tell me more
>> if
>> you are seeing something that looks problematic here ...
>>
>> Dave Wood
>> Developer, Windows Find & Organize
>>

>> "mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message
>> yeah and it seems like it re-indexes every time you delete something.
>>

>> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>>
>> "Dustin Harper" <dharper@vistarip.com> wrote in message
>> Yes, Vista uses the indexing service for the search functions. It
>> actually works very well. I have my MP3 folder indexed and it makes
>> finding my music very easy!
>>
>> It does hit the HD pretty hard when it does it's initial indexing,
>> though.
>>
>> Dustin Harper
>> dharper@vistarip.com
>> http://www.vistarip.com
>>

>> bvandew wrote:
>> > In the new Vista search implementation, what is the significance of the
>> > "Index this drive for faster searching" checkbox on the drive
>> > Properties
>> > dialog? This checkbox has been there since XP or before. Does this have
>> > any bearing on Vista search?
>> >
>> > --Bruce

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4=?=

"." wrote:

> If you are still on about ASP files

Yes I'm still stuck with this

> they are searched by the html filter which only takes content (what > > you can see if you view it in a web browser)
> so you wont find a com error number in signed decimal unless it's in > the content. You can change the filter in Control Panel - Indexing
> Options - File Types. The text filter does ANSI/Unicode depending if > there is a unicode header.

I found the HTML filter and I think understand how it works. What I am not
able to do tho is to change that filter to plain text.
There doesn't seem to be a button, there is no right click on it, all I can
do is tick or untick the file type.
So I'm still stuck but I feel like I'm getting closer, thanks

> There are setting to search content or not in the Control Panel -
> Folder Options - Search.

Yep, seen that one.

> Have you thought about the impact on the network to transfer all the data to
> your computer to have the contents to be parsed.

I only took a sample to do a test.

> "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Dave, a question for you, I'm trying to find certain files containing a
> > specific text. Those files are on a network drive and therefore can't be
> > indexed.
> > Well I've been trying for 2 days now with no success. I even copied the
> > files accross to my computer thinking that it would make a difference if
> > they
> > were indexed and still no luck.
> >
> > How can I search for files containing a specific text? Do I need to take
> > the
> > indexing off?
> >
> > This is quite frustrating

Ilia Sacson [MS]

Re: Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search
Dear Jonathan,
To associate .asp files with text IFilter, open regedit, go to
HKCU\.asp\PersistentHandler, and change the value from
{eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20} to
{5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}.
Best regards,
Ilia

> "." wrote:
>
>> If you are still on about ASP files

> Yes I'm still stuck with this
>
>> they are searched by the html filter which only takes content (what > >
>> you can see if you view it in a web browser)
>> so you wont find a com error number in signed decimal unless it's in >
>> the content. You can change the filter in Control Panel - Indexing
>> Options - File Types. The text filter does ANSI/Unicode depending if >
>> there is a unicode header.

> I found the HTML filter and I think understand how it works. What I am not
> able to do tho is to change that filter to plain text.
> There doesn't seem to be a button, there is no right click on it, all I
> can
> do is tick or untick the file type.
> So I'm still stuck but I feel like I'm getting closer, thanks
>

>> There are setting to search content or not in the Control Panel -
>> Folder Options - Search.

> Yep, seen that one.
>

>> Have you thought about the impact on the network to transfer all the data
>> your computer to have the contents to be parsed.

> I only took a sample to do a test.
>
>> "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi Dave, a question for you, I'm trying to find certain files
>> > containing a
>> > specific text. Those files are on a network drive and therefore can't
>> > be
>> > indexed.
>> > Well I've been trying for 2 days now with no success. I even copied the
>> > files accross to my computer thinking that it would make a difference
>> > if
>> > they
>> > were indexed and still no luck.
>> >
>> > How can I search for files containing a specific text? Do I need to
>> > take
>> > the
>> > indexing off?
>> >
>> > This is quite frustrating

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9uYXRoYW4=?=

Re: Old XP Indexing vs New Vista Search
Thank you Very very very much, I'm relieved. As a Feedback I'd say "WHY WAS
IT SO HARD!"

And correct me if I'm wrong but you meant HKCR\.asp
Anyway thanks again very much.

"Ilia Sacson [MS]" wrote:

> Dear Jonathan,
> To associate .asp files with text IFilter, open regedit, go to
> HKCU\.asp\PersistentHandler, and change the value from
> {eec97550-47a9-11cf-b952-00aa0051fe20} to
> {5e941d80-bf96-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}.
> Best regards,
> Ilia

Ilia Sacson [MS]