"access denied"

bob b

"access denied"
When I click certain files under my name in "users" I get an access denied
message.

specifically cookies, history, Local settings, application data.

How do I open these folders?

Thanks in advance. bob
bob b

Re: "access denied"
Interesting, the "not files, files". Thanks.

I can't see the location where they are pointing to the actual files:
cookies, history, Local settings, application data.

Where might they really be?

Thanks in advance. Bob.

"Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
> Those aren't files, they're junctions, a file system shortcut to another
> location. They are there for backward compatibility with applications
> that assume an XP path to a user folder. If you open a command prompt to
> your user directory and execute a 'dir /al' command, you can see the
> locations they point to.
>
> If you want to be able to click on them & view the contents of the folder
> they point to, modify the permissions and remove the
> 'Deny'/'Everyone'/'List Folder/Read Data' entry.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>> When I click certain files under my name in "users" I get an access
>> denied message.
>>
>> specifically cookies, history, Local settings, application data.
>>
>> How do I open these folders?
>> Thanks in advance. bob

Keith Miller MVP

Re: "access denied"
Locations would be similar to these -- the AppData folder has its hidden
attribute set.

"Local AppData"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local"
"AppData"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming"
"History"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Microsoft\ Windows\History"
"NetHood"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microsof t\Windows\Network
Shortcuts"
"Cookies"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microsof t\Windows\Cookies"
"SendTo"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft \Windows\SendTo"
"Start Menu"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wi ndows\Start Menu"
"Programs"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microso ft\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs"
"Recent"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft \Windows\Recent"
"CD Burning"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Microsoft\W indows\Burn\Burn"
"PrintHood"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Micros oft\Windows\Printer
Shortcuts"
"Startup"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microsof t\Windows\Start
Menu\Programs\Startup"
"Administrative
Tools"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\W indows\Start
Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools"
"Cache"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Wi ndows\Temporary Internet
Files"
"Templates"="C:\Users\Keith\AppData\Roaming\Micros oft\Windows\Templates"

--

> Interesting, the "not files, files". Thanks.
>
> I can't see the location where they are pointing to the actual files:
> cookies, history, Local settings, application data.
>
> Where might they really be?
>
> Thanks in advance. Bob.
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" <k.miller79@no.spam.verizon.net> wrote in message
>> Those aren't files, they're junctions, a file system shortcut to another
>> location. They are there for backward compatibility with applications
>> that assume an XP path to a user folder. If you open a command prompt to
>> your user directory and execute a 'dir /al' command, you can see the
>> locations they point to.
>>
>> If you want to be able to click on them & view the contents of the folder
>> they point to, modify the permissions and remove the
>> 'Deny'/'Everyone'/'List Folder/Read Data' entry.
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
>>> When I click certain files under my name in "users" I get an access
>>> denied message.
>>>
>>> specifically cookies, history, Local settings, application data.
>>>
>>> How do I open these folders?
>>> Thanks in advance. bob

Jimmy Brush

Re: "access denied"
I will also add that it is NOT RECOMMENDED to remove the deny permissions on
those application compatability junctions.

These security permissions are in place so that applications do not
misbehave while accessing them. Changing the security permissions could
cause unexpected side effects possibly resulting in data loss.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

its vista

Re: "access denied"
go to c:\users\username

"bob b" <removebbrazie@knowledge1.com> wrote in message
> When I click certain files under my name in "users" I get an access denied
> message.
>
> specifically cookies, history, Local settings, application data.
>
> How do I open these folders?
> Thanks in advance. bob

TufftyBob

Re: "access denied"
Hi Jimmy

While I was trying to figure out just how to change the default
'permissions' (in Windows Vista Home Premium) to whatever I needed to set it
to so that I could access .pst (Outlook 2003 personal folders) data files
which I had created myself I did something that messed up access to the drive
in external NTSF drive that the folders and files were on. Specifically, I
thought that as the changes I had tried had failed to make any difference and
I was still getting "File access is denied. You do not have permission to
access the file "....." at blah, blah, blah, etc" when trying to import the
..pst files that I myself had created and exported, despite the 'visible
accounts' that are shown with their different names on the security tab in
properties showing 'full control'. I thought that if I changed the setting
from not shared to shared (by clicking 'advanced sharing' button as the other
button on this tab/box was greyed out) then this would surely give ME access,
as I am the owner of the pc, there is no other user or account in existence
on the windows log on scren or in the option in control panel (except 'Guest'
which is turmned off so not visible at windows start up/log on screen). Doing
this did not give me access to the file or folder concerned, and when I tried
to change it back all that happened was that I was denied access to the
entire drive! This meant a format was neccessary to regain access, so I lost
all data on that drive.

My message to Microsoft would be to ask why the hell they did not see fit
to design in automatic access or 'Full Control' type permissions to all
'Administrator/user name created' files and folders (like these .pst files
that I am trying to import) - especially in situations like mine, where I am
the only 'user' of the pc anyway, and therefore have only one 'user' account
which is the administrator account which is also protected by a password! and
I am the one who exported the damn files in the first place therefore I am
the creator of the file.

At the very least there should be a button or link to a screen, or a tab
that allows a user (especially one logged on as Administrator) to reset all
drive, folder or file permissions to the default settings, even if you have
to use a password to do so. Perhaps if you had to enter an Administrator
password before making any 'permission' changes then it would be harder to
'f**k things up, like I did.

((I also find many situations where it is impossible to remove the 'read
only' setting on some folders and files and also deleting some files or
folders leaves behind what I have been told is called a 'deadlink' icon which
is impossible to delete without a full system recovery. Therefore if that
happens, you had better go to recycle bin PDQ and restore the folder you just
tried to delete and find some other way to remove it!))

Then again, I only did that because no-one at microsoft or the company I
bought the computer from would help or tell me what to do to get this
permission issue solved. Despite what some people posting to this newsgroup
said, I NEVER experienced any such problems doing the same import/export of
..pst file tasks in Outlook 2000, or 2002, or 2003 on my XP Home Ed' sp2
laptop, so I had never seen or ever heard of this "file access is denied. You
don't have the required permission, etc" message untill I bought a Vista pc.

Bob