Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick

=?Utf-8?B?dmRqYW4=?=

Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick
Hi,
I want to setup sync between my USB stick (Sandisk Titanium Cruzer) and my
laptop with Vista Business, to sync all kind of docs (.doc;.xls;.pdf;...)
Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device and I can only
synchronize it through the media player.
How could I change this and sync the files ?

Thx,

Jan
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick
Hi Jan,

>> Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device

Do you mean the system does not assign a drive letter for the USB flash drive, but WMP recognizes it as a portable device?

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"vdjan" <vdjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F43A7EC-5BC0-4B7E-8669-19F800366AC3@microsoft.com...
Hi,
I want to setup sync between my USB stick (Sandisk Titanium Cruzer) and my
laptop with Vista Business, to sync all kind of docs (.doc;.xls;.pdf;...)
Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device and I can only
synchronize it through the media player.
How could I change this and sync the files ?

Thx,

Jan
=?Utf-8?B?QmxpZ2h0b2JveQ==?=

Re: Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick
I have the same problem. When I go to Sync Center and "Set up new sync
partnerships" it recognizes my device as "USB Flash Memory" but tries to "Syn
media using Windows Media Player", when really all I want is for it to do is
sync Word docs, some Excel and a few pictures.
In the past I've used ViceVersa and it's worked well, but I'd love it if a
useful sync program actually was built into Vista. I guess I'll see.

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> >> Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device

> Do you mean the system does not assign a drive letter for the USB flash drive, but WMP recognizes it as a portable device?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>

> "vdjan" <vdjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F43A7EC-5BC0-4B7E-8669-19F800366AC3@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I want to setup sync between my USB stick (Sandisk Titanium Cruzer) and my
> laptop with Vista Business, to sync all kind of docs (.doc;.xls;.pdf;...)
> Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device and I can only
> synchronize it through the media player.
> How could I change this and sync the files ?
>
> Thx,
>
> Jan

=?Utf-8?B?bGpoZWxsZXI=?=

Re: Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick
Hi, I also have a similar problem. I have a lacie USB hard drive i use for
file backup.

I used an app called Powersync by linkpro for keeping all types of files in
sync but it isn't Vista ready.

If i plug my usb drive into my vista pc, it shows up fine in autoplay and in
windows explorer as Drive F:\

However, it does not show as a device in Sync Center. I checked it's
properties and it is set to All Items in 'customize' tab of properties as
discussed below.

Has anyone successfully gotten sync center to recognize a simple usb mass
storage device and sync with it? If so, how?

"Blightoboy" wrote:

> I have the same problem. When I go to Sync Center and "Set up new sync
> partnerships" it recognizes my device as "USB Flash Memory" but tries to "Syn
> media using Windows Media Player", when really all I want is for it to do is
> sync Word docs, some Excel and a few pictures.
> In the past I've used ViceVersa and it's worked well, but I'd love it if a
> useful sync program actually was built into Vista. I guess I'll see.
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
> > Hi Jan,

> > Do you mean the system does not assign a drive letter for the USB flash drive, but WMP recognizes it as a portable device?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> > Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> >

> > "vdjan" <vdjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F43A7EC-5BC0-4B7E-8669-19F800366AC3@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I want to setup sync between my USB stick (Sandisk Titanium Cruzer) and my
> > laptop with Vista Business, to sync all kind of docs (.doc;.xls;.pdf;...)
> > Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device and I can only
> > synchronize it through the media player.
> > How could I change this and sync the files ?
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > Jan

=?Utf-8?B?bGpoZWxsZXI=?=

Re: Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick
Hi. I found a 3rd party sync tool shareware that is decent for synching hard
drives to usb drives

Allway Syncfile synchronization that works
version 5.5.8
Copyright © 2004-2006
http://allwaysync.com

hope this helps

"ljheller" wrote:

> Hi, I also have a similar problem. I have a lacie USB hard drive i use for
> file backup.
>
> I used an app called Powersync by linkpro for keeping all types of files in
> sync but it isn't Vista ready.
>
> If i plug my usb drive into my vista pc, it shows up fine in autoplay and in
> windows explorer as Drive F:\
>
> However, it does not show as a device in Sync Center. I checked it's
> properties and it is set to All Items in 'customize' tab of properties as
> discussed below.
>
> Has anyone successfully gotten sync center to recognize a simple usb mass
> storage device and sync with it? If so, how?
>
> "Blightoboy" wrote:
>
> > I have the same problem. When I go to Sync Center and "Set up new sync
> > partnerships" it recognizes my device as "USB Flash Memory" but tries to "Syn
> > media using Windows Media Player", when really all I want is for it to do is
> > sync Word docs, some Excel and a few pictures.
> > In the past I've used ViceVersa and it's worked well, but I'd love it if a
> > useful sync program actually was built into Vista. I guess I'll see.
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi Jan,

> > > Do you mean the system does not assign a drive letter for the USB flash drive, but WMP recognizes it as a portable device?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
> > > Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
> > >

> > > "vdjan" <vdjan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2F43A7EC-5BC0-4B7E-8669-19F800366AC3@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi,
> > > I want to setup sync between my USB stick (Sandisk Titanium Cruzer) and my
> > > laptop with Vista Business, to sync all kind of docs (.doc;.xls;.pdf;...)
> > > Problem is that my USB stick is recognized as a media device and I can only
> > > synchronize it through the media player.
> > > How could I change this and sync the files ?
> > >
> > > Thx,
> > >
> > > Jan

rackle1982

Re: Sync Center: Synchronise files between laptop and USB stick

I've managed to sync my USB Flash Drive by installing SyncToy from
Microsoft.

'Download details: SyncToy v1.4'
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)

Downloaded, installed and up-and-running within 15 minutes

--
rackle1982

JohnB is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ViceVersa PRO is easily the best file sync software for Windows: ViceVersa Software
They also have a free version: ViceVersa FREE