Shell Folder Icons Missing

=?Utf-8?B?aW5kaWdvYmx1ZQ==?=

Shell Folder Icons Missing
Hi, I've moved all of my user folders (documents, music etc) to a network
location using both the right click and drag and drop method. Everything
seems to be OK, except instead of the new blue/green icons, the folders now
have the normal yellow icons...

This wouldn't be much of a problem, but the Links pane in explorer shows
these icons (the desktop folder shows up with a BIN con).

Any ideas of how I can fix this?

Cheers,

Paul
Keith Miller MVP

Re: Shell Folder Icons Missing
The folders get their icon info from the hidden, sytem file within the
folder named desktop.ini. Not sure how or if that info is used across a
network. Desktop.ini for the Desktop folder contains the following:

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21769
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183

Maybe the server is trying to supply the icon info but it doesn't have the
imageres.dll file???

For a workaround, open your Favorite Links folders and modify the icon
associated with the shortcut via its properties dialog. The 'Change Icon'
dialog may default to shell32.dll but you can browse to imageres.dll.

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"indigoblue" <indigoblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've moved all of my user folders (documents, music etc) to a network
> location using both the right click and drag and drop method. Everything
> seems to be OK, except instead of the new blue/green icons, the folders
> now
> have the normal yellow icons...
>
> This wouldn't be much of a problem, but the Links pane in explorer shows
> these icons (the desktop folder shows up with a BIN con).
>
> Any ideas of how I can fix this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul

=?Utf-8?B?aW5kaWdvYmx1ZQ==?=

Re: Shell Folder Icons Missing
Thanks for that...the desktop.ini files already contain that information, so
I don't know why it's not dsplaying the icons. I tried the workaround for
the Links folder and yes, it does work, but the strange thing is that looking
at the desktop.ini file for that folder before and after the workaround, the
info is the same:

---------------------------------------
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21810
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-185
DefaultDropEffect=4
[LocalizedFileNames]
Public.lnk=@shell32.dll,-21816
Searches.lnk=@shell32.dll,-9031
Recently Changed.lnk=@shell32.dll,-32813
Music.lnk=@shell32.dll,-21790
Pictures.lnk=@shell32.dll,-21779
Documents.lnk=@shell32.dll,-21770
---------------------------------------
....so I don't know why it should make a difference?

Maybe I need to run a "TweakUI"-type "Rebuild Icons" type tool.

The other strange thing is that since moving all the user profile folders to
a NAS all of the usual system folders are being displayed permanently
(desktop.ini, $RECYCLE.BIN) no matter what the folder options are (they are
set to hide protected operating system files, do not show hidden files and
folders and the files that are showing have the hidden attribute ticked...).

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Paul

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> The folders get their icon info from the hidden, sytem file within the
> folder named desktop.ini. Not sure how or if that info is used across a
> network. Desktop.ini for the Desktop folder contains the following:
>

> [.ShellClassInfo]
> LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21769
> IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-183
>
> Maybe the server is trying to supply the icon info but it doesn't have the
> imageres.dll file???
>
> For a workaround, open your Favorite Links folders and modify the icon
> associated with the shortcut via its properties dialog. The 'Change Icon'
> dialog may default to shell32.dll but you can browse to imageres.dll.
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "indigoblue" <indigoblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I've moved all of my user folders (documents, music etc) to a network
> > location using both the right click and drag and drop method. Everything
> > seems to be OK, except instead of the new blue/green icons, the folders
> > now
> > have the normal yellow icons...
> >
> > This wouldn't be much of a problem, but the Links pane in explorer shows
> > these icons (the desktop folder shows up with a BIN con).
> >
> > Any ideas of how I can fix this?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Paul

Chris

indigoblue wrote:
> Hi, I've moved all of my user folders (documents, music etc) to a network
> location using both the right click and drag and drop method. Everything
> seems to be OK, except instead of the new blue/green icons, the folders now
> have the normal yellow icons...
>
> This wouldn't be much of a problem, but the Links pane in explorer shows
> these icons (the desktop folder shows up with a BIN con).
>
> Any ideas of how I can fix this?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Paul

I had the same problem on my local secondary partition when I moved
stuff. I realized that during the "move" I was telling Vista to not copy
over the file that gives the Vista blue icon.

This is what I did. I reset the location of my shell folders back to
default, and chose not to copy the data files back. This reset the icons
to blue, and the locations back to my user folder. I then went back to
properties for each shell folder, and then moved, a second time, each
shell location to the new location on the other partition and this time
made sure that I allowed every file to get copied to the new location. I
don't know if this will work on a network.
Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Shell Folder Icons Missing
Hi Paul,

Double-check if the SYSTEM attribute is set for the desktop.ini file. Open a Command Prompt window and change to the shell folder (Documents). Type "attrib desktop.ini". This displays the file attributes.

By default the file has "A SH" attributes set.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"indigoblue" <indigoblue@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0B2007B-A93F-401B-B59B-DA42B9A2F392@microsoft.com...
Thanks for your help. Still no joy, which is strange as I would have thought
that this scenario is fairly common (tried it on all pcs attached to the NAS
and no joy...). Still getting system file appearing when they should be
hidden...

Paul
=?Utf-8?B?Ym9ibmVlZHNoZWxw?=

Re: Shell Folder Icons Missing
This works on a network drive as well. Basically you are just copying the
newly created desktop.ini file per the procedure outlined above.
--
Bob