Vista import from Outlook Express

Kim S

Vista import from Outlook Express
Even if I point to the folder where the files from OE6 i located,
Win Vista claims that there i no files or folders to import.
Transferring files, users and settings from XP gives the same result..

Regards, Kim

Steve Cochran

Re: Vista import from Outlook Express
To import the messages from OE, you must copy the entire contents of the
store folder and to a blank directory on the hard drive. Then clear the
read only attribute of the files. Then the import should work.

Also make sure it has the correct path when you try to import. Sometimes it
screws up the path and you have to fiddle with it.

steve

"Kim S" <JohnDoe@Falskmail.dk> wrote in message
> Even if I point to the folder where the files from OE6 i located,
> Win Vista claims that there i no files or folders to import.
> Transferring files, users and settings from XP gives the same result..
>
> Regards, Kim

R. C. White, MVP

Re: Vista import from Outlook Express
Hi, Kim.

I'm not going to argue with Dr. Steve. He's the expert. He's pulled my fat
out of the fire more than once.

But I did pay my dues during beta and learned another way to do this.

The reason I couldn't see any files/folders in my old OE Store Folder was
that I didn't have permission to see them. I fiddled around with the
security settings until I managed to give myself permission. Then I could
see the files and folders and WM's Import worked just like it was supposed
to. ;<)

Now, if I could only remember HOW I gave myself permission... Did I take
ownership of the folder? Of the whole volume? Or did I just hit on the
right combination of permissions?

By now, you've got the job done, and it probably needs to be done just once,
so my advice doesn't help you much. But there may be others "reading over
our shoulders" here who still have that job ahead of them and can learn from
our experiences.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Kim S" <JohnDoe@Falskmail.dk> wrote in message
> Even if I point to the folder where the files from OE6 i located,
> Win Vista claims that there i no files or folders to import.
> Transferring files, users and settings from XP gives the same result..
>
> Regards, Kim

StraightToWasteBin@leswell.freeuk.com

Re: Vista import from Outlook Express
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:28:16 +0100, "Kim S" <JohnDoe@Falskmail.dk>
wrote:

>"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>> To import the messages from OE, you must copy the entire contents of the
>> store folder and to a blank directory on the hard drive. Then clear the
>> read only attribute of the files. Then the import should work.
>>
>> Also make sure it has the correct path when you try to import. Sometimes
>> it screws up the path and you have to fiddle with it.
>>

>No, it does not work. I copied the files to C:\test. Pointed to that
>directory,
>and pressed "ok". Vista answered: No files found on c:\test\test ??? So
>Vista
>looked in an non-existing directory. So I copied to the Dir C:\test\test and
>pointed Vista to C:\test. THEN it worked..... That's absolutely logical,

I had no problem Importing from my E:/cache/OE folder just now.

On import I navigated to cache/OE but clicked once on OE to select it
not twice to enter it. That worked straight away.

In the past I used to get to cache/OE after a re-install by changing
store folder to point there. This time it refused to do so as it was
not empty!

Les Hellawell
Greetings from
YORKSHIRE - The White Rose County

Steve Cochran

Re: Vista import from Outlook Express
In the interim, you can use the File | Export feature of OEX and make eml
files and those you can drag and drop into a WinMail folder from Explorer.

I got the import working but there are "issues". <G>

steve

"Hugh Wyn Griffith" <huwyngr@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> In article <0184E26D-054A-400A-B385-6084365BFE4B@microsoft.com>, Steve
> Cochran wrote:
>
>> Meanwhile (might as well make a plug <G>), I've got OEX
>> (www.oehelp.com/OEX/) beginning to work in Vista, and that will let users
>> just point to any non-corrupt dbx file and import its messages into the
>> WinMail message store, just as now it can do for OE's message store.

> Yes Please -- Pretty Please ......
>
> I've been using it under XP and tried to use it to put a backup set from
> my
> XP OE to a folder where VISTA could pull them in but it didn't seem to
> like
> me and I gave up for the time being.

Steve Cochran

Re: Vista import from Outlook Express
The format of the message store is completely different from OE, so
replacing the contents of the message store won't work.

steve

<StraightToWasteBin@leswell.freeuk.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:28:16 +0100, "Kim S" <JohnDoe@Falskmail.dk>
> wrote:
>
>>"Steve Cochran" <scochran@oehelp.com> skrev i meddelelsen
>>> To import the messages from OE, you must copy the entire contents of the
>>> store folder and to a blank directory on the hard drive. Then clear the
>>> read only attribute of the files. Then the import should work.
>>>
>>> Also make sure it has the correct path when you try to import.
>>> Sometimes
>>> it screws up the path and you have to fiddle with it.
>>>

>>No, it does not work. I copied the files to C:\test. Pointed to that
>>directory,
>>and pressed "ok". Vista answered: No files found on c:\test\test ??? So
>>Vista
>>looked in an non-existing directory. So I copied to the Dir C:\test\test
>>and
>>pointed Vista to C:\test. THEN it worked..... That's absolutely logical,

> I had no problem Importing from my E:/cache/OE folder just now.
>
> On import I navigated to cache/OE but clicked once on OE to select it
> not twice to enter it. That worked straight away.
>
> In the past I used to get to cache/OE after a re-install by changing
> store folder to point there. This time it refused to do so as it was
> not empty!
>
> Les Hellawell
> Greetings from
> YORKSHIRE - The White Rose County

Hugh Wyn Griffith

Re: Vista import from Outlook Express
Nice to know it isn't "dormant" .....

Jeff Kamis

Where it goes astray
When you point the install wizard to your folder with the .dbx files, you will see the directory path up top , then the folder name below. In my case, I copied my .dbx files to a folder called "Outlook Express" but when I tried to select that folder, it came up as ".../outlook express/outlook express." The fix is to delete the "outlook express" from the folder button on the bottom, so it removes the extra "outlook express"
HTH

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
mike the tech

ridiculous
Vista.. my very first tech experience with it and I cannot import OE6 mails from XP with it without a big hassle..

WHAT are microsoft thinking.. I mean, HOW MANY PEOPLE use windows specifically for email..

Well the one good thing is that as a tech for hire I will make a bundle of cash from this stupidity.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com