Repeated file & file moving

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBU?=

Repeated file & file moving
Hi, I am using Windows Vista RC1 64-bit edition. I am trying to move my
personal files to where they are stored on a non-boot hard drive (I know that
this can be done in XP) somewhere allong the line I really goofed up and so I
decided to get things back the way they were. I have everything back now
exept that the "Desktop" folder is reapeated (there are two of the same
folder) and when I delete one it deletes both of them and if I leave it like
this when I restart they are both back. I only want there to be one "Desktop"
file. Also, there was a text file that kept showing up. I deleted it and now
when I expand the "John" flolder it shows a text document but there is not
one there and the properties of the icon confirm this but it cannot be
deleted. Does anyone know how to fix this? (and how to move my files so that
they are stored on annother drive but still show up in the "John Timms"
folder)

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBU?=

Re: Repeated file & file moving

Yes, the locations are identical. And yes, there is no location for the text
file. I am not where I can check right now but I'm pretty sure there isn't a
security tab or any tabs at all. When I try to delete it (the text file) it
says it cannot be deleted beacause it cannot be found.

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> Do the folder properties dialog for both Desktop folders have a location
> tab? If so, are the locations identical?
>
> Regarding the text file -- you say the 'properties of the icon confirm
> this' -- this being the nonexistence of the file. Can you elaborate? Is
> there no Location? Is there a 'Security' tab? Can you take ownership?
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "John T" <JohnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I am using Windows Vista RC1 64-bit edition. I am trying to move my
> > personal files to where they are stored on a non-boot hard drive (I know
> > that
> > this can be done in XP) somewhere allong the line I really goofed up and
> > so I
> > decided to get things back the way they were. I have everything back now
> > exept that the "Desktop" folder is reapeated (there are two of the same
> > folder) and when I delete one it deletes both of them and if I leave it
> > like
> > this when I restart they are both back. I only want there to be one
> > "Desktop"
> > file. Also, there was a text file that kept showing up. I deleted it and
> > now
> > when I expand the "John" flolder it shows a text document but there is not
> > one there and the properties of the icon confirm this but it cannot be
> > deleted. Does anyone know how to fix this? (and how to move my files so
> > that
> > they are stored on annother drive but still show up in the "John Timms"
> > folder)

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Repeated file & file moving
Not sure about the text file.

For the Desktop folder problem, do you see two folders when you do a 'dir /a' from a command prompt
window?

--

> Yes, the locations are identical. And yes, there is no location for the text
> file. I am not where I can check right now but I'm pretty sure there isn't a
> security tab or any tabs at all. When I try to delete it (the text file) it
> says it cannot be deleted beacause it cannot be found.
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> Do the folder properties dialog for both Desktop folders have a location
>> tab? If so, are the locations identical?
>>
>> Regarding the text file -- you say the 'properties of the icon confirm
>> this' -- this being the nonexistence of the file. Can you elaborate? Is
>> there no Location? Is there a 'Security' tab? Can you take ownership?
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "John T" <JohnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi, I am using Windows Vista RC1 64-bit edition. I am trying to move my
>> > personal files to where they are stored on a non-boot hard drive (I know
>> > that
>> > this can be done in XP) somewhere allong the line I really goofed up and
>> > so I
>> > decided to get things back the way they were. I have everything back now
>> > exept that the "Desktop" folder is reapeated (there are two of the same
>> > folder) and when I delete one it deletes both of them and if I leave it
>> > like
>> > this when I restart they are both back. I only want there to be one
>> > "Desktop"
>> > file. Also, there was a text file that kept showing up. I deleted it and
>> > now
>> > when I expand the "John" flolder it shows a text document but there is not
>> > one there and the properties of the icon confirm this but it cannot be
>> > deleted. Does anyone know how to fix this? (and how to move my files so
>> > that
>> > they are stored on annother drive but still show up in the "John Timms"
>> > folder)

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Repeated file & file moving
'dir /a' is exactly what you should type (without quotes). It returns a
listing of the contents of the current directory. The '/a' option tells the
command to list all entries regardless of the attributes set ('dir' with no
'/a' will not show hidden files/folders).

The command prompt window shows its current directory as part of the prompt,
ie:

C:\Users\Keith>

and if you haven't modified the startup properties for Command Prompt, it
will probably open to your user directory as well. If not, type:

cd %userprofile%

to make your user folder the current directory for the command prompt. Then
execute 'dir /a'. Copy the resulting listing from the window & paste it in
your reply please.

--

>I checked and the text file is gone anyway, minor bug, I guess. I'm soory
>but
> I'll need you to explain what you mean by "do a 'dir /a' from a command
> prompt" I know what the command prompt is but I rarely use it, do I type
> in
> "dir /a" into the comand prompt box or do I substitute the "a" with the
> drive
> letter? (or somthing totaly different?) Thanks!
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> Not sure about the text file.
>>
>> For the Desktop folder problem, do you see two folders when you do a 'dir
>> /a' from a command prompt
>> window?
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>

>> "John T" <JohnT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Yes, the locations are identical. And yes, there is no location for the
>> > text
>> > file. I am not where I can check right now but I'm pretty sure there
>> > isn't a
>> > security tab or any tabs at all. When I try to delete it (the text
>> > file) it
>> > says it cannot be deleted beacause it cannot be found.

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBU?=

Re: Repeated file & file moving
Thank you both!
Kieth, here is a copy of what the command prompt pulled up:
_____________________________
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.5600]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\John Timms>dir/a
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is 4CD1-54C4

Directory of C:\Users\John Timms

01/20/2007 08:58 AM <DIR> .
01/20/2007 08:58 AM <DIR> ..
01/13/2007 03:18 PM <DIR> AppData
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Application Data [C:\Users\John
Timms\App
Data\Roaming]
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Cookies [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppData\Roam
ing\Microsoft\Windows\Cookies]
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Desktop
01/20/2007 08:35 AM <DIR> Documents
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Downloads
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Favorites
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> John Timms
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Links
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Local Settings [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppDa
ta\Local]
01/20/2007 08:44 PM <DIR> Music
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> My Documents [C:\Users\John
Timms\Documen
ts]
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> NetHood [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppData\Roam
ing\Microsoft\Windows\Network Shortcuts]
01/27/2007 09:22 PM 1,835,008 ntuser.dat
01/27/2007 09:22 PM 262,144 ntuser.dat.LOG1
01/13/2007 03:17 PM 0 ntuser.dat.LOG2
01/13/2007 03:31 PM 65,536
NTUSER.DAT{7f432071-37dc-11db-b921-f69899
0248e6}.TM.blf
01/13/2007 03:31 PM 524,288
NTUSER.DAT{7f432071-37dc-11db-b921-f69899
0248e6}.TMContainer00000000000000000001.regtrans-ms
01/13/2007 03:31 PM 524,288
NTUSER.DAT{7f432071-37dc-11db-b921-f69899
0248e6}.TMContainer00000000000000000002.regtrans-ms
01/13/2007 03:17 PM 20 ntuser.ini
01/20/2007 08:58 AM <DIR> Pictures
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> PrintHood [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppData\Ro
aming\Microsoft\Windows\Printer Shortcuts]
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Recent [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppData\Roami
ng\Microsoft\Windows\Recent]
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Saved Games
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Searches
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> SendTo [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppData\Roami
ng\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo]
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppData\R
oaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu]
01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\Users\John
Timms\AppData\Ro
aming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates]
01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Videos
7 File(s) 3,211,284 bytes
24 Dir(s) 143,722,852,352 bytes free
____________________________________

If I understand what you are asking about the file then I believe that it
only shows up once but since you know more yuo'd probably better look.
Thank you!!!

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Repeated file & file moving
Yes, it only shows up once. Are you familiar with the registry? If so, please check the following
value:

Under the key:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders"

What is the value of 'Desktop'?

--

> [...]
> 01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Recent [C:\Users\John
> Timms\AppData\Roami
> ng\Microsoft\Windows\Recent]
> 01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Saved Games
> 01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Searches
> 01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> SendTo [C:\Users\John
> Timms\AppData\Roami
> ng\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo]
> 01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Start Menu [C:\Users\John
> Timms\AppData\R
> oaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu]
> 01/13/2007 03:17 PM <JUNCTION> Templates [C:\Users\John
> Timms\AppData\Ro
> aming\Microsoft\Windows\Templates]
> 01/18/2007 09:26 PM <DIR> Videos
> 7 File(s) 3,211,284 bytes
> 24 Dir(s) 143,722,852,352 bytes free
> ____________________________________
>
> If I understand what you are asking about the file then I believe that it
> only shows up once but since you know more yuo'd probably better look.

I double-clicked on it and the box that poped up "edit string" said "Desktop"
under "Value name" and "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" under "Value data:"
There were also 3 columns on the main page- the 1st said "Desktop" the 2nd
"REG_EXPAND_SZ" and the 3rd "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop"
Is that what you wanted?

John Timms
_____________________________
"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

Yes, it only shows up once. Are you familiar with the registry? If so,
please check the following
value:

Under the key:

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders"

What is the value of 'Desktop'?

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Repeated file & file moving
Sorry for the delay in responding.

Weird....

Have you tried using the 'Restore Default' button on the 'Location' tab in
the properties dialog? Or possibly using the 'Move' button found there to
redirect the Desktop & then using 'Restore Default' may eliminate the
duplicate.

--

>I double-clicked on it and the box that poped up "edit string" said
>"Desktop"
> under "Value name" and "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop" under "Value data:"
> There were also 3 columns on the main page- the 1st said "Desktop" the 2nd
> "REG_EXPAND_SZ" and the 3rd "%USERPROFILE%\Desktop"
> Is that what you wanted?
>
> John Timms
> _____________________________
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
> Yes, it only shows up once. Are you familiar with the registry? If so,
> please check the following
> value:
>
> Under the key:
>
> "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders"
>
> What is the value of 'Desktop'?

=?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBU?=

Re: Repeated file & file moving
I discovered some new things. First, your sugestion unfortunately did not
work. Second, I found that where the files are actualy stored (C:\users\john
timms\desktop) has only one file labeled desktop. The shortcuts to it in the
John Timms folder (on the wind explorer file tree) still show it twice. I
tried moving the one folder (directly from C:\users\john timms\desktop) to
E:\Vista (a file I created in drive E) the two folders stayed the same (in
the John Timms folder on the file tree) but were called "Vista" and the one
in C:\users\john timms\desktop was gone. In E:\Vista there were the
contents of "desktop" but not in that file, just directly in Vista. I
restored the files to their orriginal location and then tried moving
"desktop" to just plain old E:\ (Bad idea!) now the John Timms folder (not
the C:\users\john timms one) shows two drive "E:\" not a pretty sight! This
has happened before so I am prepared to do a system restore. The text
document came back but this time it has somthing in it, so I have put it's
contents at the botom. I don't know if it means anything to you but I hope
this helps!

John Timms

Contents of brcpl.log:

[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.500 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:569]
BRCplMainPage::LayoutInitialized: Enter
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.501 [info:brcplenvironment.cpp:408]
BRCplEnvironmentImpl::GetUserClass: Current user is protected administrator
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:646]
BRCplMainPage::Notify: Enter ChangedProp(BRCplState)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:650]
BRCplMainPage::Notify: Leave
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:816]
BRCplMainPage::EnsureState: A new state created and is added to the property
bag of the site
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:1559]
BRCplMainPage::LoadSideBarItems: Command[0] -
Name(@%windir%\system32\brcpl.dll,36) Category(1)
Executable(%windir%\system32\rstrui.exe) Arguments() RequirePrivilege(1)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:1559]
BRCplMainPage::LoadSideBarItems: Command[1] -
Name(@%windir%\system32\brcpl.dll,37) Category(1)
Executable(%windir%\system32\SystemPropertiesProte ction.exe) Arguments()
RequirePrivilege(1)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:1559]
BRCplMainPage::LoadSideBarItems: Command[2] -
Name(@%windir%\system32\brcpl.dll,40) Category(2)
Executable(%windir%\System32\migwiz\migwiz.exe) Arguments()
RequirePrivilege(1)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:3063]
BRCplMainPage::BackupAppDataEntry::BackupAppDataEn try: Files Backup config:
Configured(0) LastBackupTime(0.000000) NextBackupTime(0.000000) MediaType(0)
MediaLocation() BackupInProgress(0) BackupDisbaledByAdmin(0)
RestoreDisabledByAdmin(0)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.812 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:3063]
BRCplMainPage::BackupAppDataEntry::BackupAppDataEn try: Computer Backup
config: Configured(1) LastBackupTime(0.000000) NextBackupTime(0.000000)
MediaType(0) MediaLocation() BackupInProgress(0) BackupDisbaledByAdmin(0)
RestoreDisabledByAdmin(0)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.847 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:635]
BRCplMainPage::LayoutInitialized: Leave
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:28.847 [warn:brcplmainpage.cpp:524]
BRCplMainPage::QueryInterface: Failed to
QueryInterface({6B353825-C58B-4F03-AEC4-8DE179122661}) (0x80004002)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:45:34.865 [info:brcplutils.cpp:596]
BRCplUtils::ExecuteShellCommand: Successfully ShellExecute
File(C:\Windows\system32\rstrui.exe) Parameters()
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:46:16.150 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:646]
BRCplMainPage::Notify: Enter ChangedProp(ProperTreeExpandoSizer_Loaded)
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:46:16.150 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:650]
BRCplMainPage::Notify: Leave
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:46:16.150 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:659]
BRCplMainPage::OnNavigateAway: Enter
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:46:16.150 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:674]
BRCplMainPage::OnNavigateAway: Leave
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:46:16.168 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:454]
BRCplMainPage::OnDestroy: Enter
[1688:884] 01/31/2007-07:46:16.176 [info:brcplmainpage.cpp:460]
BRCplMainPage::OnDestroy: Leave

Keith Miller MVP

Re: Repeated file & file moving
John,

This is getting confusing -- you seem to be using the words 'file' &
'folder' interchangeably -- for best results, please try to keep that
distinction in mind when posting

The <Username> folder that shows under 'Desktop' in the folder tree seems
designed to show all the User Shell Folders (Docs, Music, etc), regardless
of where they reside on the hard disk, as well as the contents of the folder
'C:\Users\<Username>'. When a User Shell Folder is located in
'C:\Users\<Username>', the duplicate display SHOULD be suppressed -- for
some reason, this isn't happening with your Desktop folder.

I don't know what causing that on your system, but the following workaround
will remove the 'C:\Users\<Username>' content from the 'Desktop\<Username>'
folder, leaving only the shortcuts to the User Shell Folders.

Click the Start button

in 'Start Search', type regedit, then <enter> to start the registry editor.

Navigate to the following key:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Cur rentVersion\explorer\UsersFiles\NameSpace\Delegate Folders"

Use the 'File -> Export' command to save a copy of the key that can be
restored if you're unhappy with the results.

Delete the 'DelegateFolders' key.

Check the contents of 'Desktop\<Username>' to see if you like the results.

Hope this helps -- sorry it's a workaround and not a true fix.