Restore Files from Windows XP Backup

Daniel Jameson

Restore Files from Windows XP Backup
Hi,

The upgrade instructions for Windows Vista says to backup my files before
running the upgrade. In the "Advanced restore" dialog box (screen shot
attached) there is a link for "How do I restore files from backups made
using a previous version of Windows?" If the Windows Vista upgrade ends up
wiping out my files, as Microsoft expects might happen, this would be just
what I need. However, when I click the link, I just directed to Microsoft's
general Vista home page with no links about backup, and when I search from
there regarding backup, nothing about previous versions of Windows is found.

Where can I find the instructions for restoring files from backups made
using a previous version of Windows?

The backup utility in WinNT4, Win2K and WinXP was a very workable and
reliable backup solution, that combined with Windows scheduler met my backup
needs, and I knew that I would be able to restore all my old backups. I
have always been disappointed with third party backup solutions that store
my data in some proprietary format and holds my backed up data hostage for
upgrade fees. I have been recommending to my clients that they use Windows
backup. Please, please, please bring the good ol' Windows backup back in
SP1. Please!

Sincerely,
Daniel

Jimmy Brush

Re: Restore Files from Windows XP Backup
My understanding is that Microsoft will provide a downloadable utility for
Vista (available from that link in advanced restore) to restore files from
Windows XP backups.

--
- JB
Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User

Windows Vista Support Faq
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Re: Restore Files from Windows XP Backup
Update:

The Filing Cabinet : Windows NT Backup - Restore Utility is now available for download:
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/arc...-download.aspx

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windowsģ XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

"Daniel Jameson" <danjam@cyberdude.com> wrote in message news:Oxj8NJyPHHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

Thank you, Ramesh, Jill and Jimmy!

--
Daniel Jameson

[...]

=?Utf-8?B?S2VudGI=?=

Re: Restore Files from Windows XP Backup
This was very helpful.... I downloaded the new utility that is NOT included
with Vista that permits me to access files on XP backups.
Thank you Daniel for asking the question.

But really Ramesh, Jill and Jimmy, just what logic is used to decide not to
have the standard VISTA product read backups from earlier versions of
Windows? Vista does not even recognize the BKF extension.

Amazing!