EFS & built-in Search engine

marc ochsenmeier

EFS & built-in Search engine
Hi everybody,

it really looks like as if encrypted files and folders (using the Windows
built-in Encrypting File System - EFS) are not participating to the items
that are searched using the built-in indexing engine. Can anyone please
confirm this? Should this be confirmed, then I will use other crypting
engine...

Best regards,
Marc Ochsenmeier
www.propagating.net

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: EFS & built-in Search engine
Disclaimer: I have not investigated this issue myself.

What makes you say that it appears that the contents of encrypted files /
folders are not being included in searches conducted in Vista. (Excuse me for
reformulating your question, but I do so to be sure that I am understanding
and properly representing your claim.)

EFS is SUPPOSED to be transparent. That is to say that, if I happen to be
the authorized user (for the EFS-encrypted files) then any operation I
perform on those files should simply happen without any issue. However, if I
log in as a DIFFERENT user than the one who encrypted the files, then their
contents should, indeed, be off limits to me and to my search activities.

"marc ochsenmeier" wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> it really looks like as if encrypted files and folders (using the Windows
> built-in Encrypting File System - EFS) are not participating to the items
> that are searched using the built-in indexing engine. Can anyone please
> confirm this? Should this be confirmed, then I will use other crypting
> engine...
>
> Best regards,
> Marc Ochsenmeier
> www.propagating.net