Can not delete old vista installation on other partion

Jakob Nielsen

Can not delete old vista installation on other partion
When I was still running xp, but wanted to try out vista business, I
installed it on an extra partion where I could play with it.
Now I have changed entirely to vista and have it installed on my primary
partion and want to delete the old copy on the data partion... problem is
that I can't.

When I go to delete the windows folder, it fails, telling me the files are
write protected. When I try to skip, It still fails. When I try changing the
protection on the folder, I get an error telling me I do not have the access
and it lets me do it as admin, which I try and then again it tells me I have
no access.
This I have tried as admin and as ordinary user. I even tried it under xp
before I installed vista again. I can not get to the files, which are on a
ntpf drive.

How do I proceed?

Jakob Nielsen

Re: Can not delete old vista installation on other partion
> Format the partition

This would be where I point out certain words in the original post.
"delete the old copy on the data partion..."

The principal word being "data partition". It is 120 GB of data which I have
no temporary storage for while formatting the partition. I can not imagine
that MS created an undeleteable OS. Obviously there must be a way to remove
it...?

HarriT

Re: Can not delete old vista installation on other partion
Have you tried to change the ownership of the disk/partition/files. I think
I had a similar problem and changing the owner to local admin solved it.

"Jakob Nielsen" <no@thanks.no> wrote in message
> When I was still running xp, but wanted to try out vista business, I
> installed it on an extra partion where I could play with it.
> Now I have changed entirely to vista and have it installed on my primary
> partion and want to delete the old copy on the data partion... problem is
> that I can't.
>
> When I go to delete the windows folder, it fails, telling me the files are
> write protected. When I try to skip, It still fails. When I try changing
> the protection on the folder, I get an error telling me I do not have the
> access and it lets me do it as admin, which I try and then again it tells
> me I have no access.
> This I have tried as admin and as ordinary user. I even tried it under xp
> before I installed vista again. I can not get to the files, which are on a
> ntpf drive.
>
> How do I proceed?

Walter Blanchard

Re: Can not delete old vista installation on other partion
All but one, and I don't know how to change them. See clip:

--

______________________________

Walter B
walterb[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> If you go into computer management -> disk management, which partition is
> listed as active?
>
> - JB

Walter Blanchard

Re: Can not delete old vista installation on other partion
I think I fixed it! I disconnected the d: drive and ran repair from the
Vista DVD. Machine booted fine, no errors. I then reconnected the d:
drive, and deleted the boot directory and the bootmngr file. Rebooted with
no problems. Disk management now still shows the d: and x: drives as
Active, Primary, but happily, the c: drive now shows as System.

--

"Walter Blanchard" <Walter B@communities.nospam> wrote in message
> All but one, and I don't know how to change them. See clip:
>
> --
>
> ______________________________
>
> Walter B
> walterb[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
>

> "Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> If you go into computer management -> disk management, which partition is
>> listed as active?
>>
>> - JB

Walter Blanchard

Re: Can not delete old vista installation on other partion
You would think...