User Folder Icons

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iYmVydA==?=

User Folder Icons
Ok I've got this problem:
The User folders, containing documents, pictures, music, video's and stuff
normally normally have nice specific icons for each folder, like most folders
in the picture:
[img=http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg]
Now, the normal music folder used to be 'music' (red). But I changed it to
'muziek' (blue), because I created 'muziek' in C:\program files\muziek, which
I was used to. But the new muziek folder didn't have one of these
nice-looking icons, just a standard folder-icon.
So my question is: how do I give this folder the icon it should have?
Because you change the icon of these folders, unlike normal folders.
Keith Miller MVP

Re: User Folder Icons
The Music folder gets its special icon via the 'desktop.ini' file. It's a
simple text file with a .ini extension. It is normally flagged as 'Hidden'
and 'System'. If it doesn't exist in the folder, create it in notepad.
It's contents should be:

---------------------
[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21790
InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12689
IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108
IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
IconIndex=-237
[LocalizedFileNames]
Sample Music.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21806
-------------------

In order for Explorer to process the contents of a 'desktop.ini' file, the
folder must have its 'Read-Only' attribute set. Open a command prompt
window to the parent folder (C:\Users\<UserName>) and type the following
command:

attrib +r muziek

--
Good Luck,

Keith
Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]

"Robbert" <Robbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok I've got this problem:
> The User folders, containing documents, pictures, music, video's and stuff
> normally normally have nice specific icons for each folder, like most
> folders
> in the picture:
> [img=http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg]
> Now, the normal music folder used to be 'music' (red). But I changed it to
> 'muziek' (blue), because I created 'muziek' in C:\program files\muziek,
> which
> I was used to. But the new muziek folder didn't have one of these
> nice-looking icons, just a standard folder-icon.
> So my question is: how do I give this folder the icon it should have?
> Because you change the icon of these folders, unlike normal folders.

=?Utf-8?B?Um9iYmVydA==?=

Re: User Folder Icons
well, it worked, but in a pretty strange way.
at first it didn't work at all, but it changed the icon after 5 minutes or
so..
ah well, it worked, thanks a lot =)

"Keith Miller MVP" wrote:

> The Music folder gets its special icon via the 'desktop.ini' file. It's a
> simple text file with a .ini extension. It is normally flagged as 'Hidden'
> and 'System'. If it doesn't exist in the folder, create it in notepad.
> It's contents should be:
>
> ---------------------
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21790
> InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12689
> IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108
> IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
> IconIndex=-237
> [LocalizedFileNames]
> Sample Music.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21806
> -------------------
>
> In order for Explorer to process the contents of a 'desktop.ini' file, the
> folder must have its 'Read-Only' attribute set. Open a command prompt
> window to the parent folder (C:\Users\<UserName>) and type the following
> command:
>
> attrib +r muziek
>

> --
> Good Luck,
>
> Keith
> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>
> "Robbert" <Robbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ok I've got this problem:
> > The User folders, containing documents, pictures, music, video's and stuff
> > normally normally have nice specific icons for each folder, like most
> > folders
> > in the picture:
> > [img=http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg]
> > Now, the normal music folder used to be 'music' (red). But I changed it to
> > 'muziek' (blue), because I created 'muziek' in C:\program files\muziek,
> > which
> > I was used to. But the new muziek folder didn't have one of these
> > nice-looking icons, just a standard folder-icon.
> > So my question is: how do I give this folder the icon it should have?
> > Because you change the icon of these folders, unlike normal folders.

Keith Miller MVP

Re: User Folder Icons
You're welcome. Glad it's sorted.

--

> well, it worked, but in a pretty strange way.
> at first it didn't work at all, but it changed the icon after 5 minutes or
> so..
> ah well, it worked, thanks a lot =)
>
> "Keith Miller MVP" wrote:
>
>> The Music folder gets its special icon via the 'desktop.ini' file. It's
>> simple text file with a .ini extension. It is normally flagged as
>> 'Hidden'
>> and 'System'. If it doesn't exist in the folder, create it in notepad.
>> It's contents should be:
>>
>> ---------------------
>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>> LocalizedResourceName=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell 32.dll,-21790
>> InfoTip=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-12689
>> IconResource=%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll,-108
>> IconFile=%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll
>> IconIndex=-237
>> [LocalizedFileNames]
>> Sample Music.lnk=@%SystemRoot%\system32\shell32.dll,-21806
>> -------------------
>>
>> In order for Explorer to process the contents of a 'desktop.ini' file,
>> the
>> folder must have its 'Read-Only' attribute set. Open a command prompt
>> window to the parent folder (C:\Users\<UserName>) and type the following
>> command:
>>
>> attrib +r muziek
>>

>> --
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Keith
>> Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
>>
>> "Robbert" <Robbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ok I've got this problem:
>> > The User folders, containing documents, pictures, music, video's and
>> > stuff
>> > normally normally have nice specific icons for each folder, like most
>> > folders
>> > in the picture:
>> > [img=http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3231/foldermk3.jpg]
>> > Now, the normal music folder used to be 'music' (red). But I changed it
>> > 'muziek' (blue), because I created 'muziek' in C:\program files\muziek,
>> > which
>> > I was used to. But the new muziek folder didn't have one of these
>> > nice-looking icons, just a standard folder-icon.
>> > So my question is: how do I give this folder the icon it should have?
>> > Because you change the icon of these folders, unlike normal folders.

Buri

Re: User Folder Icons

Anyway I could use this for my Pictures folder too?

--
Buri
Brink

Re: User Folder Icons

Buri;634329 Wrote:
> Anyway I could use this for my Pictures folder too?

Hi Buri,

Welcome to Vista x64 Forums. arty:

Sorry but no, they are specific to each user folder. This will show you
how to fix it so it will show the correct icon for the personal user
folder of your choice.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/90...l-folders.html

Shawn

--