Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgRm94b24=?=

Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
Hi,

So here's whats happening

1) I add a couple of local partitions to the option for indexing, one of
them containing the Downloads, Pictures and Documents locations. After a few
days, they just dissapear for no reaon from the list.
2) When they are on the list, it says something like 52,000 files indexed,
yet it still doesn't find files that it's meant to. e.g. I can actually go
into a folder that has 3 or 4 files with the word DVD in the filename, and
when searching in that folder, it says nothing is found / or, I got to my
pictures, where I have about 1,000 photo's all with the word Grace in the
filename - do a search for Grace and it returns about 50 files and that's it.
If I then say search non-indexed locations, it finds the files in both of
these options. Which is odd, as they are both in indexed locations.

I have tried rebuilding the index twice now, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Cheers.
=?Utf-8?B?UHJvdG9jb2w=?=

RE: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
I have the exact same problem.
Did you manage to find the cause?
Does anyone know what is causing this?

"Steve Foxon" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So here's whats happening
>
> 1) I add a couple of local partitions to the option for indexing, one of
> them containing the Downloads, Pictures and Documents locations. After a few
> days, they just dissapear for no reaon from the list.
> 2) When they are on the list, it says something like 52,000 files indexed,
> yet it still doesn't find files that it's meant to. e.g. I can actually go
> into a folder that has 3 or 4 files with the word DVD in the filename, and
> when searching in that folder, it says nothing is found / or, I got to my
> pictures, where I have about 1,000 photo's all with the word Grace in the
> filename - do a search for Grace and it returns about 50 files and that's it.
> If I then say search non-indexed locations, it finds the files in both of
> these options. Which is odd, as they are both in indexed locations.
>
> I have tried rebuilding the index twice now, but still no luck.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Cheers.

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgRm94b24=?=

RE: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
Hi,

Yes I did find what was causing my problem, and sorry I didn't come back
here an post it.

Anyway, for me it was a prgram called Registry Mechanic that was at fault. I
found out that everytime I ran it and deleted unwanted registry keys, the
Indexing options would return to their default, so I suspect the program was
deleting an important key. I stopped using it and haven't had the problem
since. I did contact the company who makes it, but they had no solution at
that point.

If you don't have that installed, it could be another registry cleaning
program. I now use Ace Utilities and that's fine.

Hope that helps you.

Steve.

"Protocol" wrote:

> I have the exact same problem.
> Did you manage to find the cause?
> Does anyone know what is causing this?
>
> "Steve Foxon" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > So here's whats happening
> >
> > 1) I add a couple of local partitions to the option for indexing, one of
> > them containing the Downloads, Pictures and Documents locations. After a few
> > days, they just dissapear for no reaon from the list.
> > 2) When they are on the list, it says something like 52,000 files indexed,
> > yet it still doesn't find files that it's meant to. e.g. I can actually go
> > into a folder that has 3 or 4 files with the word DVD in the filename, and
> > when searching in that folder, it says nothing is found / or, I got to my
> > pictures, where I have about 1,000 photo's all with the word Grace in the
> > filename - do a search for Grace and it returns about 50 files and that's it.
> > If I then say search non-indexed locations, it finds the files in both of
> > these options. Which is odd, as they are both in indexed locations.
> >
> > I have tried rebuilding the index twice now, but still no luck.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Cheers.

=?Utf-8?B?UHJvdG9jb2w=?=

RE: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
Thanks for that. I have just recently been suspecting a registry cleaner
being the problem. I use jv16, so I am going to test and see if that is the
problem.

Regards.

"Protocol" wrote:

> Thanks for that. I have just recently been suspecting a registry cleaner
> being the problem. I use jv16, so I am going to test and see if that is the
> problem.
>
> Regards.
>
> "Steve Foxon" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > Yes I did find what was causing my problem, and sorry I didn't come back
> > here an post it.
> >
> > Anyway, for me it was a prgram called Registry Mechanic that was at fault. I
> > found out that everytime I ran it and deleted unwanted registry keys, the
> > Indexing options would return to their default, so I suspect the program was
> > deleting an important key. I stopped using it and haven't had the problem
> > since. I did contact the company who makes it, but they had no solution at
> > that point.
> >
> > If you don't have that installed, it could be another registry cleaning
> > program. I now use Ace Utilities and that's fine.
> >
> > Hope that helps you.
> >
> > Steve.
> >
> > "Protocol" wrote:
> >
> > > I have the exact same problem.
> > > Did you manage to find the cause?
> > > Does anyone know what is causing this?

OK. I can confirm that jv16 PowerTools 2006 Registry Cleaner causes the
problem.
=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgRm94b24=?=

RE: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
Glad to hear you managed to pinpoint the problem. It would be interesting to
know what registry key/s cause the problem and then we could just tell the
software to ignore it.

"Protocol" wrote:

> OK. I can confirm that jv16 PowerTools 2006 Registry Cleaner causes the
> problem.

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

Re: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 04:38:00 -0700, Steve Foxon

>Glad to hear you managed to pinpoint the problem. It would be interesting to
>know what registry key/s cause the problem and then we could just tell the
>software to ignore it.

I'd be more inclined to take it round to the back of the shed and
bweat it to death. "Sorry I shot your dog, mister, I didn't know it
was yours"... would your response be...

1) "Give me that gun and get the hell off my land!"

....or...

2) "My dog's name is Fred; F-R-E-D. Please don't shoot it again"

....?

:-)

>------------------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

I'm on a ten-year lunch break
>------------------------- ---- --- -- - - - -

mister.jones

Re: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
Hello!
My computer showed the same symptoms (e.g. not finding all files with same
words in the filename residing in the same folder, though indexing is
"complete").
I am not running any registry cleaner. Had to rebuild the index several
times now, but it is regularly loosing files.
A general solution by MS would be appreciated. Perhaps also the possibility
to rebuild only parts of the index?
Best,
mister.jones

"Steve Foxon" <SteveFoxon@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> > 2) When they are on the list, it says something like 52,000 files
>> > indexed,
>> > yet it still doesn't find files that it's meant to. e.g. I can
>> > actually go
>> > into a folder that has 3 or 4 files with the word DVD in the filename,
>> > and
>> > when searching in that folder, it says nothing is found / or, I got to
>> > my
>> > pictures, where I have about 1,000 photo's all with the word Grace in
>> > the
>> > filename - do a search for Grace and it returns about 50 files and
>> > that's it.
>> > If I then say search non-indexed locations, it finds the files in both
>> > of
>> > these options. Which is odd, as they are both in indexed locations.

Ilia Sacson [MS]

Re: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
Mr. Jones,
I've created 100 files, from "same 1.txt" to "same 100.txt" in an indexed
directory. They all got indexed and I can find each and every one of them. I
think having the same file names is a red herring.Could you provide more
details about these files, or even post one of these files somewhere? Do
other files of the same type get indexed?
Thanks,
Ilia

"mister.jones" <mister.jones@noemail.noemail> wrote in message
> Hello!
> My computer showed the same symptoms (e.g. not finding all files with same
> words in the filename residing in the same folder, though indexing is
> "complete").
> I am not running any registry cleaner. Had to rebuild the index several
> times now, but it is regularly loosing files.
> A general solution by MS would be appreciated. Perhaps also the
> possibility to rebuild only parts of the index?
> Best,
> mister.jones
>

> "Steve Foxon" <SteveFoxon@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:989C5AB3-37C3-42F7-8E39-02135379B8A3@microsoft.com...

mister.jones

Re: Strange goings on with Indexing & Searching - Please Help
Hello Ilia,
thanks for the rapid answer. Under normal circumstances, these files are
indexed and searched as they should.
But after some time, large numbers of files get lost from the index,
although the location is still in the index and indexing is shown as
"complete". The only solution I found is to rebuild the entire index, which
takes quite some time (>300,000 files). This happened to me several times,
but I cannot reproduce the behavior.
The specific case with the same filenames was: 5 versions of a Word-document
in one folder, filenames ending in 1, 2, 3... When searching for the
beginning of the filename, only one file (the most recent) was found. Only
when searching non-indexed locations, too, the other files (in the same
folder) were found. If I remember correctly, files are re-indexed, when they
are changed (therefore, perhaps, the most recent version was correctly
indexed). In another case, only 5 files out of a large library of pdf-files
were found, although at least 100 should have been.
I do not believe the problem is related to the files or names. I have the
impression that large parts of the index are just going missing, although
the missing files are still counted in the number of items indexed.
Is there some way to check the integrity of the index, some tool to show
which files are indexed or the like?
Best regards
mister.jones