Take ownership-for dummies

Jeff

Take ownership-for dummies
Hi,

Need a basic "jeffproof" step by step on how to take ownership.
Basically, I let Dell write a "system profile execute to my System32
folder-to find my service tag,
and now I can't delete it.
Even after I open explorer with "run as admin">go to security.click on
me>apply all(read/write/special)
still says DENIED

Any help?

(Psst- Jimmy B- a hand here)

Jeff

Ray

Re: Take ownership-for dummies
That's something I know we should do, but do we? I don't all the time, well
almost never. I get involved in doing what I started and forget about
resetting them back again.
Is there a way to reset permissions globally to default.

Ray

"Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello Jeff ,
>
> <snip>
>> Need a basic "jeffproof" step by step on how to take ownership.

<snip>
> Also, once you are done changing your system folder, it is good practice
> to remove any additional permissions you gave yourself. This will help
> keep malicious programs from being able to use those permissions.
>

>> Any help?
>>
>> (Psst- Jimmy B- a hand here)
>>

>> Jeff

> - JB
> Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows Vista Support Faq
> http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?d29zdWxseQ==?=

Re: Take ownership-for dummies
The integrity level could also be set to high for the file and you would have
to be admin with the admin token to delete it, not a user.

you can use the icacls command to view the integrity level which trumps NTFS
permissions.
--
MCSE: Security, CCNA, A+, Network +, Security+

"Jeff" wrote:

> Jimmy,
>
> It added a folder-that I can't delete.
> Don't think it changed the whole System32 permissions- God, I hope not-
>
> Jeff
>
> "Jimmy Brush" <JimmyBrush@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hello Jeff ,
> >
> > <snip>
> >> Need a basic "jeffproof" step by step on how to take ownership.

> > - Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties
> > - Click Security Tab
> > - Click Advanced
> > - Click the Owner Tab
> > - Click Edit
> > - Select the Administrators group from the list
> > - Click OK
> > - Click OK
> > - Click OK
> >
> > You can now change permissions on that file/folder to whatever suits you.
> >
> >> Basically, I let Dell write a "system profile execute to my System32
> >> folder-to find my service tag,
> >> and now I can't delete it.
> >> Even after I open explorer with "run as admin">go to security.click on
> >> me>apply all(read/write/special)
> >> still says DENIED

> > I'm not sure I understand what you mean here. Did it add a file/folder to
> > your system32 folder and you want to delete that file/folder, or did it
> > change the permissions on your system32 folder and you want to remove that
> > permission?
> >
> > In any case, taking ownership of a file/folder will only allow you to
> > change the permissions for that file/folder - you will need to grant
> > yourself the additional permissions if you want to do anything else to
> > that file/folder.
> >
> > Also, once you are done changing your system folder, it is good practice
> > to remove any additional permissions you gave yourself. This will help
> > keep malicious programs from being able to use those permissions.
> >

> >> Any help?
> >>
> >> (Psst- Jimmy B- a hand here)
> >>

> >> Jeff

> > - JB
> > Microsoft MVP - Windows Shell/User
> >
> > Windows Vista Support Faq
> > http://www.jimmah.com/vista/

=?Utf-8?B?d29zdWxseQ==?=

Re: Take ownership-for dummies
Always good to know the audience; sorry about that, and glad it worked out
for you then.

;-)