Vista DVD burning suddenly takes a vacation?

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Vista DVD burning suddenly takes a vacation?
Frankly, I've thought the inbuilt DVD/CD burning features of Windows XP and
Vista have always been pretty flaky. The whole thing just doesn't look to me
as though it was designed by someone who actually wanted it to work, what
with the various balloon messages about seeing files that are ready to be
burned and the series of little dialog boxes. But the past couple of days the
feature doesn't even work badly any more. I stick a blank DVD-R disc in the
drive, the dialog pops up to ask me whether I want to use WMP or Windows to
burn files to the disc. I choose to use Windows, I get to designate the files
I want burned, and the disc image creation progress bar comes up. But that
process, after going on for several minutes, just wanders off into la-la land
and quits. The Explorer Window and the dialog box just go away. No error
messages, no nothing.

Has anyone else seen this on Vista Business RTM?

The only disc burning related installation I have done on this computer is
to install IsoRecorder, which works just fine, BTW.
=?Utf-8?B?Uko=?=

RE: Vista DVD burning suddenly takes a vacation?
I believe I am having a similar problem. How did you clear the cache? Thanks

"jimmuh" wrote:

> And the answer is (apparently / possibly) a corrupted cache. I looked into
> the burning cache location and found only a partial listing of the files I
> had designated for the burn. I deleted them manually, rebooted the system,
> and burning returned to normal behavior. I'm not sure, but it appears that
> the cache was not cleared after a previous burn was performed. I think I'll
> just set the wizard to stay up so that I can manually click on the Finish
> button after finishing a burn to see if that will keep this from happening
> again.
>
> "jimmuh" wrote:
>
> > Frankly, I've thought the inbuilt DVD/CD burning features of Windows XP and
> > Vista have always been pretty flaky. The whole thing just doesn't look to me
> > as though it was designed by someone who actually wanted it to work, what
> > with the various balloon messages about seeing files that are ready to be
> > burned and the series of little dialog boxes. But the past couple of days the
> > feature doesn't even work badly any more. I stick a blank DVD-R disc in the
> > drive, the dialog pops up to ask me whether I want to use WMP or Windows to
> > burn files to the disc. I choose to use Windows, I get to designate the files
> > I want burned, and the disc image creation progress bar comes up. But that
> > process, after going on for several minutes, just wanders off into la-la land
> > and quits. The Explorer Window and the dialog box just go away. No error
> > messages, no nothing.
> >
> > Has anyone else seen this on Vista Business RTM?
> >
> > The only disc burning related installation I have done on this computer is
> > to install IsoRecorder, which works just fine, BTW.

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

RE: Vista DVD burning suddenly takes a vacation?
Hi, RJ.

Probably the easiest and best thing to do to locate the cache is to put a
blank writeable disc in the writer, then highlight that drive in Explorer's
left pane. You should see a list of anything that's waiting to be burned to
disc (contents of the cache, in other words) in Explorer's right pane. That
will be a list of files and folders, and they should be distinguished from
"real" (?) files and folders on your system by dint of a downward-pointing
arrow being included in the file/folder icons.

When I saw this listing I knew that the cache hadn't been emptied properly
from a previous burn. That previous burn had been completed successfully, and
the files in the temporary cache should have been removed automatically. Or,
at least, that's how I would hope that it should work. But there were files
and folders listed when I looked. What's more, the list of files and folders
was NOT a complete listing of the previous burn's contents, and I figured
there was no way that Windows should default to deleting a PORTION of the
contents of the cache, once writing was finished and it was confirmed that
the temporary files were to be deleted. So I blew them away, and recovered
the ability to write discs again.

Nonetheless, this feature in Vista is shakey, at best. It has such a
slap-dash, haphazard look to it. If I want to burn files to disc in this OS I
have to do a little walking on eggshells, it seems. That's not how it should
work. Data backup is one of the most important assets of an operating system.
The user shouldn't be left twisting in the wind with a non-responsive system
and no clue as to whether / whether not / when the silly wizard process is
going to stop chuckling to itself and give out some indication as tp whether
or not the burn is going to be successful.