I HATE vista file searching.

auser

I HATE vista file searching.
I don't understand why searching in vista is so slow.
I have a folder filled with a bunch of subfolders with about 1000 mp3s. I
right click the folder and select search and type in "name:*.mp3". This list
should be done in 2 seconds. But instead it takes minutes. What is it
looking for? I purposely specified the "name:" part so it wouldn't look
inside of the files in the folders.

Another thing I hate: I want to search for all txt files with the name john
in it (once again non-indexed). I search for "john name:*.txt". The problem
with this is that not only will it bring up all txt files with the name john
in it, it will also bring up all txt files with john in the title of the
file. I dont want to see the files with the name in the title, just the
contents.

In xp, either scenario would not exit.

auser

Re: I HATE vista file searching.
I don't want or care about the indexer (although, i don't really see a need
to turn it off). I am not searching for tag information or inside the files.
I am just searching for name in the first case. It should be at least as
fast as XP.
No, I am not doing other things.

"Ben Enfield" <benfield@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
> Sounds interesting, can you provide more information relevent to the
> problem. The following are questions I have.
>
> Do you have fast file searching turned on?
> Have you let the indexer index (can take a few days)?
> Are you doing many other things while searching?
>
> Ben
>
> "auser" <auser@noemail.com> wrote in message
>>I don't understand why searching in vista is so slow.
>> I have a folder filled with a bunch of subfolders with about 1000 mp3s. I
>> right click the folder and select search and type in "name:*.mp3". This
>> list should be done in 2 seconds. But instead it takes minutes. What is
>> it looking for? I purposely specified the "name:" part so it wouldn't
>> look inside of the files in the folders.
>>
>> Another thing I hate: I want to search for all txt files with the name
>> john in it (once again non-indexed). I search for "john name:*.txt". The
>> problem with this is that not only will it bring up all txt files with
>> the name john in it, it will also bring up all txt files with john in the
>> title of the file. I dont want to see the files with the name in the
>> title, just the contents.
>>
>> In xp, either scenario would not exit.

mikeyhsd

Re: I HATE vista file searching.
search NO longer works as it did in previous OS. get over it, quit fighting it.
the MOST efficient way to search with VISTA is to ALLOW it to INDEX.

you can change the items (folders/disks) that are indexed,
once it is done, search is super fast.
mine is set to index 3 hard drives took about 3 days to finally get done. but can now search for almost anything in turbo speed.

mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com

[...]

Ben Enfield

Re: I HATE vista file searching.
Are you using Vista RTM?

>I don't want or care about the indexer (although, i don't really see a need
>to turn it off). I am not searching for tag information or inside the
>files. I am just searching for name in the first case. It should be at
>least as fast as XP.
> No, I am not doing other things.
>

> "Ben Enfield" <benfield@u.washington.edu> wrote in message
>> Sounds interesting, can you provide more information relevent to the
>> problem. The following are questions I have.
>>
>> Do you have fast file searching turned on?
>> Have you let the indexer index (can take a few days)?
>> Are you doing many other things while searching?
>>
>> Ben
>>
>> "auser" <auser@noemail.com> wrote in message
>>>I don't understand why searching in vista is so slow.
>>> I have a folder filled with a bunch of subfolders with about 1000 mp3s.
>>> I right click the folder and select search and type in "name:*.mp3".
>>> This list should be done in 2 seconds. But instead it takes minutes.
>>> What is it looking for? I purposely specified the "name:" part so it
>>> wouldn't look inside of the files in the folders.
>>>
>>> Another thing I hate: I want to search for all txt files with the name
>>> john in it (once again non-indexed). I search for "john name:*.txt". The
>>> problem with this is that not only will it bring up all txt files with
>>> the name john in it, it will also bring up all txt files with john in
>>> the title of the file. I dont want to see the files with the name in the
>>> title, just the contents.
>>>
>>> In xp, either scenario would not exit.

=?Utf-8?B?amltbXVo?=

Re: I HATE vista file searching.
You might look for a file search utility called Agent Ransack or FileLocator
Pro from Mythicsoft. The pro version is more full-featured, but the frewware
version is no slouch. The guy who wrote that software really knows his stuff.
Super-fast classic search capability. I've been a happy paying customer for a
long time.

To tell you the truth, though, I've adapted nicely to the search
funcitonality built in to Vista RTM. I just keep the old one around for when
I want to do a search the old way -- and because I'm in awe of the quality of
the buy's product.

"mikeyhsd" wrote:

> your only choice then for efficiency is to stay on XP.
> I don't like it either.
> especially when browsing a folder and delete a file and then have the system slow down while it re-indexes the folder again. but have to tolerate it to use Vista.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "auser" <auser@noemail.com> wrote in message news:2C28A6C6-1299-420F-85B6-77E3F550F193@microsoft.com...
> no, i won't get over it. I frequently download tons of files and expand them. I don't want to wait until they are indexed before i search them.
> "mikeyhsd" <mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com> wrote in message news:enxeWQAMHHA.3872@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> search NO longer works as it did in previous OS. get over it, quit fighting it.
> the MOST efficient way to search with VISTA is to ALLOW it to INDEX.
>
> you can change the items (folders/disks) that are indexed,
> once it is done, search is super fast.
> mine is set to index 3 hard drives took about 3 days to finally get done. but can now search for almost anything in turbo speed.
>

> mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com
>

> "auser" <auser@noemail.com> wrote in message news:71A89ECA-B398-4428-B969-B6C3D364F113@microsoft.com...
> I don't understand why searching in vista is so slow.
> I have a folder filled with a bunch of subfolders with about 1000 mp3s. I
> right click the folder and select search and type in "name:*.mp3". This list
> should be done in 2 seconds. But instead it takes minutes. What is it
> looking for? I purposely specified the "name:" part so it wouldn't look
> inside of the files in the folders.
>
> Another thing I hate: I want to search for all txt files with the name john
> in it (once again non-indexed). I search for "john name:*.txt". The problem
> with this is that not only will it bring up all txt files with the name john
> in it, it will also bring up all txt files with john in the title of the
> file. I dont want to see the files with the name in the title, just the
> contents.
>
> In xp, either scenario would not exit

Ray

Re: I HATE vista file searching.
Not sure if you have already done this or not, but...
There are search settings on the Organize Menu > Folder & Search Options >
Search Tab
One of these is "Always Search File Names & Contents" - make sure you have
this turned off because leaving it on will try & search content even in the
unindexed files sections of your hard disk which will make the search VERY
slow. Look at the other settings there also.

Ray