Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

System Volume Information out of control!

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007
Mike
 

Posts: n/a
System Volume Information out of control!
I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information
folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there?

Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM)
RAID5 (x3 320GB)

Thanks,
Mike

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007
Mike
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information out of control!
Nevermind, it turns out that it was the System Restore, I didn't realize
that it could use up to 15% of your HDD space, 15% of 600GB is a lot of
space and you do notice... Question is, should I turn it off?

"Mike" <weapon_x22@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:837C1299-92DC-46DA-B070-FC0582743F04@microsoft.com...
>I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information
>folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there?
>
> Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM)
> RAID5 (x3 320GB)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007
Robert Blacher
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information out of control!
The syntax of the vssadmin command is not a lot of fun, but it does allow
you to control the amount of space allocated to system restore and shadow
copies.

See:

http://vistasupport.mvps.org/decreas...em_restore.htm


"Mike" <weapon_x22@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:20E29BD8-7193-456D-8B64-64816C381A80@microsoft.com...
> Nevermind, it turns out that it was the System Restore, I didn't realize
> that it could use up to 15% of your HDD space, 15% of 600GB is a lot of
> space and you do notice... Question is, should I turn it off?
>
> "Mike" <weapon_x22@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:837C1299-92DC-46DA-B070-FC0582743F04@microsoft.com...
>>I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information
>>folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there?
>>
>> Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM)
>> RAID5 (x3 320GB)
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mike

>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007
mikeyhsd
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information out of control!
you can certainly turn it off at least by unchecking it on the drive in question.



mikeyhsd@sport.rr.com



"Bert Kinney" <bert@NSmvps.org> wrote in message news:%23Tc9%23urKHHA.3268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
Not in Vista! System Restore in Vista is far different than in earlier
versions of Windows.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org



mikeyhsd wrote:
> its easy to limit the amount of disk space used for restore.
> on the System Properties pages you can change the % allocated.

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007
Bert Kinney
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information out of control!
That is correct. System Restore can be disabled on a drive within System
Properties - System Protection tab.

Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org


mikeyhsd wrote:
> you can certainly turn it off at least by unchecking it on the drive in
> question.
>
>
>
>
> "Bert Kinney" wrote:
> Not in Vista! System Restore in Vista is far different than in earlier
> versions of Windows.
>
> Regards,
> Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
> http://bertk.mvps.org
> Member: http://dts-l.org
>
>
>
> mikeyhsd wrote:
> > its easy to limit the amount of disk space used for restore.
> > on the System Properties pages you can change the % allocated.

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 02-28-2007
Digital Dave
 

Posts: n/a
Re: System Volume Information out of control!
I agree with "don't turn it off crowd" here.

I had to use it last week on my laptop (did something stupid that I don't
want to mention here) and as a last resort I used the System Restore and it
worked like a charm.

Leave it on...

/David
Shell/GUI MVP

"Mike" <weapon_x22@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:837C1299-92DC-46DA-B070-FC0582743F04@microsoft.com...
>I have a really stupid question: What is the System Volume Information
>folder used for? And why does it contain 60GB of data there?
>
> Running Vista x64bit Build 6000 (RTM)
> RAID5 (x3 320GB)
>
> Thanks,
> Mike


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Full Control to Users programmatically vovan microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 30 02-20-2010 09:40
Parental control time limits Theo Carr-Brion microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 7 03-30-2007 07:58
SYSTEM ACCESS CONTROL =?Utf-8?B?aklNIG1DZE9OQUxE?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 2 02-28-2007 14:12
hkey_local_machine\system\currentcontrolset\control\update =?Utf-8?B?bG9zdGludG8=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.administration accounts passwords 0 02-28-2007 14:10
Any Game Beta Testers here.. I need information =?Utf-8?B?Rm94eGll?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.games 0 02-28-2007 14:06




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:02.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120