Cannot delete folder on my Vista desktop - Access Denied

=?Utf-8?B?U2FuZHkgV29vZA==?=

Cannot delete folder on my Vista desktop - Access Denied
I downloaded some app software to my Vista Desktop and after copying it to
our network app location I tried to delete the folder. I received an error

Destination Folder Access Denied - You need to confirm this operation.

I've clicked Continue but the prompt keeps returning.

The work-around I've found is to open the folder and first, delete
everything inside the folder, navigate back to the Desktop and then I can
delete the folder.
--
Sandy Wood
Orange County District Attorney
R. C. White, MVP

Re: Cannot delete folder on my Vista desktop - Access Denied
Hi, Sandy.

I know nothing of networks, unless we count the Internet. But I've been
using microcomputers (does that term date me?) since before MS-DOS, and
modern versions of some of the old DOS tricks still work better than the UI.
;<)

Open a Command Prompt window and use the Remove Directory (or rmdir or just
rd) command. A folder (directory) is not a file, so the Delete command
doesn't work. You must Remove a Directory, not Delete it. If the directory
is not empty, you will see an error message. But if you append the /s
switch to the rd command, it will delete the ENTIRE directory tree,
including all subdirectories and files. So, to eliminate a folder named
\Total, you would type at the Command Prompt line:

rd \Total /s

Then answer Yes to the Are you sure? question. You can bypass that question
by adding /q to the rd command.

As usual in the Command Prompt window, type the command followed by /? to
see a mini-Help file: rd /?

This assumes you have permission to remove that \Total folder, of course.
And you may need to run the Command Prompt as Administrator.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Sandy Wood" <sandy.wood@nospam.com> wrote in message
>I downloaded some app software to my Vista Desktop and after copying it to
> our network app location I tried to delete the folder. I received an error
>
> Destination Folder Access Denied - You need to confirm this operation.
>
> I've clicked Continue but the prompt keeps returning.
>
> The work-around I've found is to open the folder and first, delete
> everything inside the folder, navigate back to the Desktop and then I can
> delete the folder.
> --
> Sandy Wood
> Orange County District Attorney

Nigel Molesworth

Re: Cannot delete folder on my Vista desktop - Access Denied
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 13:43:00 -0800, Sandy Wood <sandy.wood@nospam.com>
wrote:

>Destination Folder Access Denied

Isn't this an ownership issue?

--
Nigel M
=?Utf-8?B?R2Vvcmdl?=

Re: Cannot delete folder on my Vista desktop - Access Denied
Hi R. C. White,

------ MR WHITE'S SOLUTION does WORK ------

Yes, your solution does work.
As a matter of fact, even with no files in a folder, and using the Command
Prompt Here, one cannot delete the folder UNLESS the /s option is appended to
rd.

Accessing the same network computer via an XP computer, I can just use the
Windows commands to delete a folder. You'd think there would be a similar
action with Vista (or at least a delete after a warning).

It would be great if you could invent a way to use the Windows mode commands
as they exist (instead of the command prompt).

Thanks,

--
George in NS