Re: Files cannot be written/modified everywhere??

Jan Ilacqua [MVP]

Re: Files cannot be written/modified everywhere??
Hi prasad :-)

I am somewhat confused as to what you are trying to do. So if I may ask for
a bit of clarification:

1. Are you dual booting? I mean, do you have XP installed on another drive?
2. Was your Vista install clean or an upgrade over XP?
3. What type of files are you downloading? .jpg, .doc, .pdf, etc.
4. Are you trying to download and save files to another drive other than the
Vista drive?
5. What folder on which drive are you trying to save the download to?
6. Have you done a Search of the hard drive to see exactly where the
downloaded files are being saved? If you can find out where the files are
being saved, then perhaps you can find out why, change the download default
location, and may explain why you aren't seeing them. They may not be where
you thihk they are being saved. I have had that problem as well, more than
once. <g>
7. Have you tried Sharing the folders or drives you are unable to access?
Which may or may not be an option.
8. Have you tried turning on the UAC again and see if you can use the
elevated admin to access them?

Also remember that, when you are in Vista it will always show that it is on
the C:\ drive, and any other OS or other drives will also show different
drive letters than they may have been originally. Such as, if you also have
XP installed on another drive, Vista will perhaps show it as being on H or G
drive, but, when you boot into XP, it will also show that it is on the C:\
drive, and Vista is then on some other drive letter. Windows OS's insist on
being on the C:\ drive no matter what actual drive they are installed on.
Just make sure you *DO NOT* change the Vista drive letter from C:\ to
anything else *when you are in Vista*, or you may not be able to boot into
it again.

Vista tends to see other drives in a rather odd manner. If you are single
booting on a single drive
this is not so much a problem, but, if you are dual, multi-booting or have
other drives, it can be very
confusing trying to remember which OS or files are on which drive,
especially, if you can not get access to see what is on them.

In order to eliminate confusion of what partition or dive contains what data
or OS when dual, multi-booting, or using multiple drives, I would advise you
to use drive labels. The drive labels migrate to all installed OS's so for
example XP32(d in Vista will be XP32(c when you are in XP 32bit, as
XP32(e in when you are in XP 64bit. Changing the label in any OS will
change the label in all OS's.

Hope this helps.

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE