How to backup only selected files?

=?Utf-8?B?cGJhdGVtYW4=?=

How to backup only selected files?
Is there a way to only backup selected folders/files with the windows backup
utility? With the default options of backing up pictures, documents, music,
etc....I get a lot of pictures, and documents, wav files etc.. that I dont
really want to back up, hence taking up a lot of space. Is there a way to go
back to the old windows backup method in which you could pick specific
folders instead of having windows run a backup by file type?
Jill Zoeller [MSFT]

Re: How to backup only selected files?
At this time, the Backup tool does not allow you to select individual
folders. This is something we are considering for future releases. For more
details, see our FAQ at
http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.

Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.

"pbateman" <pbateman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there a way to only backup selected folders/files with the windows
> backup
> utility? With the default options of backing up pictures, documents,
> music,
> etc....I get a lot of pictures, and documents, wav files etc.. that I dont
> really want to back up, hence taking up a lot of space. Is there a way to
> go
> back to the old windows backup method in which you could pick specific
> folders instead of having windows run a backup by file type?

=?Utf-8?B?Smluc2VuZw==?=

Re: How to backup only selected files?
Jill,

The blog mentioned below doesn't allow posting so I'll respond to a few
points here.

There are too few features in the new Backup: Darn Right. The new backup
is unusable to a savvy user. You MUST include something more like the old
NTBackup before I can feel comefortable using Vista in my company. The new
interface may be good for Vista Home editions, but for all other editions
(including Ultimate) you NEED to include an _advanced_ option for "savvy"
users.

Can't Password Protect the .zip files: It's not my fault if some people
forget their passwords. We should still have the option. We could pprotect
..bak files in NTBackup, so this is another feature that was removed.

You cut Tape Backups: Again, if basic users don't understand it or have it,
then that's fine for them. I'm a "savvy" user and have a tape backup device.
I should be able to use it. Again, reducing features.

Backing up files requires Admin Privlidges because it backs up everyones
files: WOW... As a sys admin I don't want my end users to be able to backup
other users files and folders. Using the too-basic wizard you came up with
should only backup the current users files and folders. With an option to
backup all users data. yet another feature removed.

In conclusion, this new backup solution is not acceptable to me, and I
shouldn't have to purchase a program to do what windows has done for years
(although in a very limted fashion). I absolutely expect that SP1 will
include this functionality (and hopefully deliver it withink a couple months
of GA, not a year or more).

"Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:

> At this time, the Backup tool does not allow you to select individual
> folders. This is something we are considering for future releases. For more
> details, see our FAQ at
> http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.

> Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
> our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
>

> "pbateman" <pbateman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there a way to only backup selected folders/files with the windows
> > backup
> > utility? With the default options of backing up pictures, documents,
> > music,
> > etc....I get a lot of pictures, and documents, wav files etc.. that I dont
> > really want to back up, hence taking up a lot of space. Is there a way to
> > go
> > back to the old windows backup method in which you could pick specific
> > folders instead of having windows run a backup by file type?

=?Utf-8?B?Sk1BLVNQRUVE?=

Re: How to backup only selected files?
Jinseg,

I totally agree with you and I'll cancel my project of to buy 4 to 5
computers with vista because Microsoft don't provide us a backup system like
in XP.
We lose also too much time, because they change the defaults authorizations
in document and settings wich refuse to everybody per exemple.
I'm really disappointed about vista and will continue with XP for a while
and I hope that VISTA SP1 will provide us a fully backup solution, which
should at least provide immediately for ultimate users.
Is there any solution to install the backup utility provided with XP.
Excuse me for my english.

"Jinseng" wrote:

> Jill,
>
> The blog mentioned below doesn't allow posting so I'll respond to a few
> points here.
>
> There are too few features in the new Backup: Darn Right. The new backup
> is unusable to a savvy user. You MUST include something more like the old
> NTBackup before I can feel comefortable using Vista in my company. The new
> interface may be good for Vista Home editions, but for all other editions
> (including Ultimate) you NEED to include an _advanced_ option for "savvy"
> users.
>
> Can't Password Protect the .zip files: It's not my fault if some people
> forget their passwords. We should still have the option. We could pprotect
> .bak files in NTBackup, so this is another feature that was removed.
>
> You cut Tape Backups: Again, if basic users don't understand it or have it,
> then that's fine for them. I'm a "savvy" user and have a tape backup device.
> I should be able to use it. Again, reducing features.
>
> Backing up files requires Admin Privlidges because it backs up everyones
> files: WOW... As a sys admin I don't want my end users to be able to backup
> other users files and folders. Using the too-basic wizard you came up with
> should only backup the current users files and folders. With an option to
> backup all users data. yet another feature removed.
>
> In conclusion, this new backup solution is not acceptable to me, and I
> shouldn't have to purchase a program to do what windows has done for years
> (although in a very limted fashion). I absolutely expect that SP1 will
> include this functionality (and hopefully deliver it withink a couple months
> of GA, not a year or more).
>

> "Jill Zoeller [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > At this time, the Backup tool does not allow you to select individual
> > folders. This is something we are considering for future releases. For more
> > details, see our FAQ at
> > http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/pag...vista-faq.aspx.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Want to learn more about Windows Server file and storage technologies? Visit
> > our team blog at http://blogs.technet.com/filecab/default.aspx.
> >

> > "pbateman" <pbateman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Is there a way to only backup selected folders/files with the windows
> > > backup
> > > utility? With the default options of backing up pictures, documents,
> > > music,
> > > etc....I get a lot of pictures, and documents, wav files etc.. that I dont
> > > really want to back up, hence taking up a lot of space. Is there a way to
> > > go
> > > back to the old windows backup method in which you could pick specific
> > > folders instead of having windows run a backup by file type?

=?Utf-8?B?Smluc2VuZw==?=

Re: How to backup only selected files?
JMA,

Good question about using the Windows XP Backup in Vista. I don't know yet,
but once I have another environment up and running that I can play with I'm
going to try it. That might be an OK workaround, at least for now.