Windows Vista - Folder Types

=?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFz?=

Windows Vista - Folder Types
I just installed Vista Business onto my computer and now I found a problem:

When I open a folder within the explorer, Vista automatically determins the
folder type and if it contains JPGs for example it displays them as
thumpnails (Folder Type Photos, Videos). I don't want that! How do I turn it
off to have every folder exactly the same? I only need Filename, Filetype,
Size and Date...

The worst thing about this is the Windows-Drive Itselft. For example, when i
copy a jpg-file into c:\, windows recognizes a picture and displays C as a
picture folder. With ratings and all... AND I CAN'T EVEN UNDO THIS!!! because
there is no way to change the folder type of C:\ !!!

I just can't work like that! Please someone help !!! :-((...

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... e_management
=?Utf-8?B?VGhvbWFz?=

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
Thank you for your answer Mike. But first of all, there is no "Customize" Tab
for C:\ (the root-folder) !!! So this is not working at all for my problem!

Just right click (C -> Properties -> NO CUSTOMIZE TAB !

I only see the customize tab on normal drives and folders. And I don't see
there any option "not to show folder content type". The customize tab only
allows me to change the folder type and the folder icon but there is nothing
else :-/.

What I'd really like would be to find an OFF-Switch to the whole
Auto-Sensing Thing the explorer does with folder types :-/... or at least a
way to have the same explorer layout in every folder no matter that's in it!

"Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:

> Right click the folder and then select the 'customize' tab.. then look at
> the bottom of that window.. you have the option not to show the folder
> content type..
>

> "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I just installed Vista Business onto my computer and now I found a problem:
> >
> > When I open a folder within the explorer, Vista automatically determins
> > the
> > folder type and if it contains JPGs for example it displays them as
> > thumpnails (Folder Type Photos, Videos). I don't want that! How do I turn
> > it
> > off to have every folder exactly the same? I only need Filename, Filetype,
> > Size and Date...
> >
> > The worst thing about this is the Windows-Drive Itselft. For example, when
> > copy a jpg-file into c:\, windows recognizes a picture and displays C as a
> > picture folder. With ratings and all... AND I CAN'T EVEN UNDO THIS!!!
> > because
> > there is no way to change the folder type of C:\ !!!
> >
> > I just can't work like that! Please someone help !!! :-((...
> >
> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... e_management

Kerry Brown

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
I agree that's an annoying feature but why would you copy a file to the root
of a drive let alone the root of the system drive?

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User

> Thank you for your answer Mike. But first of all, there is no "Customize"
> Tab
> for C:\ (the root-folder) !!! So this is not working at all for my
> problem!
>
> Just right click (C -> Properties -> NO CUSTOMIZE TAB !
>
> I only see the customize tab on normal drives and folders. And I don't see
> there any option "not to show folder content type". The customize tab only
> allows me to change the folder type and the folder icon but there is
> nothing
> else :-/.
>
> What I'd really like would be to find an OFF-Switch to the whole
> Auto-Sensing Thing the explorer does with folder types :-/... or at least
> way to have the same explorer layout in every folder no matter that's in
> it!
>
> "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:
>
>> Right click the folder and then select the 'customize' tab.. then look at
>> the bottom of that window.. you have the option not to show the folder
>> content type..
>>

>> "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I just installed Vista Business onto my computer and now I found a
>> >problem:
>> >
>> > When I open a folder within the explorer, Vista automatically determins
>> > the
>> > folder type and if it contains JPGs for example it displays them as
>> > thumpnails (Folder Type Photos, Videos). I don't want that! How do I
>> > turn
>> > it
>> > off to have every folder exactly the same? I only need Filename,
>> > Filetype,
>> > Size and Date...
>> >
>> > The worst thing about this is the Windows-Drive Itselft. For example,
>> > when
>> > copy a jpg-file into c:\, windows recognizes a picture and displays C
>> > as a
>> > picture folder. With ratings and all... AND I CAN'T EVEN UNDO THIS!!!
>> > because
>> > there is no way to change the folder type of C:\ !!!
>> >
>> > I just can't work like that! Please someone help !!! :-((...
>> >
>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and
>> > then
>> > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>> >
>> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... e_management

=?Utf-8?B?RWNhdA==?=

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
I would love to know what you did in the registry. It drives me nuts to have
windows deciding what type of folders I have. I want them all to be details
unless I change them myself. So please clue me in.
--

(¯`·._.·Ecat·._.·´¯)
HP a1230n

Kerry Brown

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
It's mostly an organizational issue. It's never been a good practice to
create files in the root of a drive. The simpler you keep the tree structure
the easier it is to find things and to backup data. Allowing users to create
files in the root of the system drive can also be a security problem. As
rights normally propagate from the root you then have to go in and
explicitly block inheritance on subfolders to restrict access. For the best
security this should be the other way around. You should need to block
inheritance to grant access not restrict access. This ensures that users
(and malware) will not accidently get access to write to system files.

--

news1AC9871-5089-481F-8D07-27F192DAB791@microsoft.com...
> Mmmh.. I used the root folder just to test Vista's behaivior. And btw why
> shouldn't I use the C: folder? I somehow got the weird attitute my OS
> should
> do what I want and not hide files or even entire folders from me. On the
> other hand, you get the feeling MS does not want users to look into
> certain
> folders and to really administrate their own computer because they hide
> entire folders by default!
>
> But never mind, I fixed it :-). You can turn the whole "folder type"
> thingy
> off by modifying the registry.
>
> Thanks again for your answers,
>
> Thomas

Kerry Brown

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
I don't disagree with you there. I would also like more control over how the
folders are displayed.

--

> [...]
>>
>> --
>> Kerry Brown
>> Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
>> www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2
>>
>> "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news1AC9871-5089-481F-8D07-27F192DAB791@microsoft.com...
>> > Mmmh.. I used the root folder just to test Vista's behaivior. And btw
>> > why
>> > shouldn't I use the C: folder? I somehow got the weird attitute my OS
>> > should
>> > do what I want and not hide files or even entire folders from me. On
>> > the
>> > other hand, you get the feeling MS does not want users to look into
>> > certain
>> > folders and to really administrate their own computer because they hide
>> > entire folders by default!
>> >
>> > But never mind, I fixed it :-). You can turn the whole "folder type"

RCE Defiant

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
"Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thank you for your answer Mike. But first of all, there is no "Customize"
> Tab
> for C:\ (the root-folder) !!! So this is not working at all for my
> problem!
>
> Just right click (C -> Properties -> NO CUSTOMIZE TAB !

Calm down man, you be dead by 40 at this rate.

--
RCE Defiant

=?Utf-8?B?Y2hhbGwzbmczcg==?=

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
i agree with you Thomas.

i'm sora guy like you. and i want it my way, not windows way. there must be
option to turn those kind of things off or an option for apply to all.

i was excited to see these new thing the first few times. then when i get
into my general routine i found it quite annoying.

i did not tried your reg fix. but what i did is, i opened customize, them
selected All Items from dropdown, and checked also apply to subfolders.
repeated the procedure on all my fixed drived. but i guess it'll not work
with removeable drives as USB disks and cd/dvd(s).

best,

// chall3ng3r //

"Thomas" wrote:

> @Kerry : Yes and I totally agree on that. But this is a matter of individual
> user or system rights but not of the folder layout. It just doesn't make any
> sense to use concepts like "Folder Types" on the root file system, because
> there aren't any pictures in there (and as I said it was just a test). The
> whole folder type idea only makes sense within certain folders where the user
> keeps his pictures/videos/documents...
>
> But then again, why do I need Windows to recognize videos as videos within
> my "Video"-Folder??? I can still change the folder view manually when i
> consider it to be appropriate. Windows 95/98/2000/XP worked just fine like
> that. OK, it kinda looks cool to have all those fancy thumbnails but actually
> it gets really annoying after some time, especially in folders containing
> things other than media files.
>
> After all, people sometimes do actually need to work with Windows and the
> Explorer still is a file manager and not a picture viewer. You got stuff like
> AC/DC for that!
>
> "Kerry Brown" wrote:
>
> > It's mostly an organizational issue. It's never been a good practice to
> > create files in the root of a drive. The simpler you keep the tree structure
> > the easier it is to find things and to backup data. Allowing users to create
> > files in the root of the system drive can also be a security problem. As
> > rights normally propagate from the root you then have to go in and
> > explicitly block inheritance on subfolders to restrict access. For the best
> > security this should be the other way around. You should need to block
> > inheritance to grant access not restrict access. This ensures that users
> > (and malware) will not accidently get access to write to system files.
> >
> > --
> > Kerry Brown
> > Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> > www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2
> >
> > "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news1AC9871-5089-481F-8D07-27F192DAB791@microsoft.com...
> > > Mmmh.. I used the root folder just to test Vista's behaivior. And btw why
> > > shouldn't I use the C: folder? I somehow got the weird attitute my OS
> > > should
> > > do what I want and not hide files or even entire folders from me. On the
> > > other hand, you get the feeling MS does not want users to look into
> > > certain
> > > folders and to really administrate their own computer because they hide
> > > entire folders by default!
> > >
> > > But never mind, I fixed it :-). You can turn the whole "folder type"
> > > thingy
> > > off by modifying the registry.
> > >
> > > Thanks again for your answers,
> > >
> > > Thomas

Ray

Re: Windows Vista - Folder Types
Too much confusion here due to the Root folder having been used as the
example and responders not reading past that. Root is just a blatant example
of a problem throughout Vista.

For instance, Vista presumes everything is a Music folder, so my folder
"C:/Program Files/Ray's Basic" gets a button bar with "Play all" -- despite
the fact it contins only *.exe files. At least that is a folder where I can
override this (temporarily, until Vista for reasons unknown switches back
after a day or two -- another whole problem meriting its own thread).

"Kerry Brown" wrote:

> I agree that's an annoying feature but why would you copy a file to the root
> of a drive let alone the root of the system drive?
>
> --
> Kerry Brown
> Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User
> www.vistahelp.ca/phpBB2
>
> "Thomas" <Thomas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thank you for your answer Mike. But first of all, there is no "Customize"
> > Tab
> > for C:\ (the root-folder) !!! So this is not working at all for my
> > problem!
> >
> > Just right click (C -> Properties -> NO CUSTOMIZE TAB !
> >
> > I only see the customize tab on normal drives and folders. And I don't see
> > there any option "not to show folder content type". The customize tab only
> > allows me to change the folder type and the folder icon but there is
> > nothing
> > else :-/.
> >
> > What I'd really like would be to find an OFF-Switch to the whole
> > Auto-Sensing Thing the explorer does with folder types :-/... or at least
> > way to have the same explorer layout in every folder no matter that's in
> > it!
> >
> > "Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User" wrote:
> >
> >> Right click the folder and then select the 'customize' tab.. then look at
> >> the bottom of that window.. you have the option not to show the folder
> >> content type..

Hikari

RE: Windows Vista - Folder Types
Unfotruntately whole discussion does not give the answer to simple question:
HOW TO CUSTOMIZE VIEW OF C: OR PROGRAM FILES???

I've experienced THE SAME problem for a few times and it's extremely annoying!