Vista Forces Read-Only File Setting

=?Utf-8?B?eFplcGh5cng=?=

Vista Forces Read-Only File Setting
I've given myself Full Control in every possible way that I could find,
wherever possible, at file, folder and hard drive level.
Yet, no matter what I do, after I uncheck "Read Only", Apply the settings,
and reopen the Properties, the object is "Read Only" once more.

It's getting in the way of most of my applications (and games :P), so I'm
more than willing to do anything I have to in order to solve this issue.

So, my question is: How do I go about giving myself absolute control over
everything so I can force Windows to make all my files read AND write?

Thank you for taking the time to read my question.
Kerry Brown

Re: Vista Forces Read-Only File Setting
Are you talking about folders or files? Folders have been displayed as read
only since XP and possibly earlier. It is ignored by the OS and doesn't
normally cause any problems. If it's files then something else is happening.
You'd have to post more details.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP Windows - Shell/User

"xZephyrx" <xZephyrx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsBCC6E75-F679-4510-8B2C-01B98BD690E4@microsoft.com...
> I've given myself Full Control in every possible way that I could find,
> wherever possible, at file, folder and hard drive level.
> Yet, no matter what I do, after I uncheck "Read Only", Apply the settings,
> and reopen the Properties, the object is "Read Only" once more.
>
> It's getting in the way of most of my applications (and games :P), so I'm
> more than willing to do anything I have to in order to solve this issue.
>
> So, my question is: How do I go about giving myself absolute control over
> everything so I can force Windows to make all my files read AND write?
>
> Thank you for taking the time to read my question.

jmw512

Re: Vista Forces Read-Only File Setting

Ditto with me- recent Vista x64 user and all my files are read only. The
only way I can modify a file is to change its name. I'm given the option
in 'properties' to change from read-only but despite a process with a
green bar sliding across, nothing changes- all my files remain read
only.
Annoying!
As sophisticated as Vista is supposed to be, I can't believe they'd
leave me stranded without a paddle like this
jmw

--
jmw512
brink

jmw512;521637 Wrote:
> Ditto with me- recent Vista x64 user and all my files are read only. The
> only way I can modify a file is to change its name. I'm given the option
> in 'properties' to change from read-only but despite a process with a
> green bar sliding across, nothing changes- all my files remain read
> only.
> Annoying!
> As sophisticated as Vista is supposed to be, I can't believe they'd
> leave me stranded without a paddle like this
> jmw

Hi JMW,

It depends on what files you are trying to modify.

This tutorial will show you how to set or unset the read-only status of
files.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/10...attribute.html

You may have to take ownership of the file first, before you can modify
it. This tutorial will show you how.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/67...ship-file.html

Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
jmw512

Re: Vista Forces Read-Only File Setting

Thanks Shawn
Either way, it sounds like quite a road back. The files affected are
all my Word files, as well as all files saved in Adobe Photoshop format.
How does this happen in the first place? ...and why does Vista seem to
offer a simple solution to convert back to 'non-read-only' only to then
not change anything?
jmw

--
jmw512
brink

Re: Vista Forces Read-Only File Setting

JMW,

Not sure, but I suspect that it has something to do with a setting in
Word or Adobe Photoshop. I found this article that may help explain it
for you. It seems that they can be set as read-only by the write of the
files. I do not use these programs, so I do not know for sure.

'- Tip of the Day Blog - Read-Only Word*Documents'
(http://totd.squarespace.com/tip-of-t...documents.html)

Hope it helps,
Shawn

--
brink

*Please post feedback to help others.*
CoLdFuSiOn

Re: Vista Forces Read-Only File Setting

Brink despite your tutorial been understanding and very easy to follow
it does not work after doing that the settings default back to how they
were. if anyone is still having this problem try typing MSCONFIG in to
the command prompt and then click on the Tools tab and click Disable UAC
and reboot your computer <<<<<NOTE: this will not work for everyone i
dont know why not but it just doesnt. Good Luck

--
CoLdFuSiOn