File type icon

=?Utf-8?B?RmF0ZWM=?=

File type icon
In Windows XP, I would always change the icon for all my file types (.doc,
..exe, etc), to an icon that I would remember. It helped me stay organized,
and alerted me if some extra program I didn't recognize got installed.
However, I can't figure out how to change the file type icon in Vista RTM. In
XP, it was Folder Options, File Type. Does anyone know?
=?Utf-8?B?RWNhdA==?=

RE: File type icon
Ive been wondering about that since Beta 2. It seems that they may have
ditched it in favor of just right-clicking a file with the type that you are
wanting to change and going through the whole "open with..." dialog and
picking or browsing to a program that you want to be the default. Im sure
your familiar with doing that in XP. But having that additional way did give
more options than this.
--

(¯`·._.·Ecat·._.·´¯)
HP a1230n

Joe Zapert

Re: File type icon
I'd like to know this, too. It isn't good enough to have to change the
default program the opens a file and living with whatever icon gets assigned
there. Sigh.

It seems that all the customizing options for file types are gone in favor
of the new Set Associations control panel. For example, there doesn't seem
to be a way to add or customize file handler options to the context menu for
a file type anymore (say, change the Print option.)

"Fatec" <Fatec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In Windows XP, I would always change the icon for all my file types (.doc,
> .exe, etc), to an icon that I would remember. It helped me stay organized,
> and alerted me if some extra program I didn't recognize got installed.
> However, I can't figure out how to change the file type icon in Vista RTM.
> In
> XP, it was Folder Options, File Type. Does anyone know?

=?Utf-8?B?RmF0ZWM=?=

Re: File type icon
Well, glad it isn't me going crazy! Let's just keep our eyes and hacks open
then to any solutions. Thanks.