Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?

=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=

Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?
Can I install the window xp pro with vista license? I can't find the
information in microsoft website.
=?Utf-8?B?ZGF2aWQ=?=

Re: Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?
But Dell sales said it should be ok. That's why I want to find the answer.

"Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:

> No, you will have to use the XP product key.
>
> --
>
> Ronnie Vernon
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Can I install the window xp pro with vista license? I can't find the
> > information in microsoft website.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?
David

You cannot use a Product Key for a version of Windows to install a different version of Windows.

Sorry if you this is not what you want to hear, but Dell Sales is wrong.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

david wrote:
> But Dell sales said it should be ok. That's why I want to find the
> answer.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> No, you will have to use the XP product key.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Can I install the window xp pro with vista license? I can't find the
>>> information in microsoft website.

Ricky Traynor

Re: Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?
If you purchase a volume licence copy of vista, then you receive downgrade
rights.

He said a vista "licence" not key :-)

Rick

david wrote:
> But Dell sales said it should be ok. That's why I want to find the
> answer.
>
> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>
>> No, you will have to use the XP product key.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Ronnie Vernon
>> Microsoft MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>

>> "david" <david@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Can I install the window xp pro with vista license? I can't find the
>>> information in microsoft website.

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Re: Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?
>Rick Traynor wrote:
> If you purchase a volume licence copy of vista, then you receive
> downgrade rights.

I doubt that the OP is ready to purchase 5 licenses (minimum required for a Volume License purchase) to get 1 version of XP installed.

> He said a vista "licence" not key :-)

Purchasing a "license" without a "Key" is only optional if you are adding a license to a Volume License purchase.

Try to read the post thoroughly before replying.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" <ronv@mvps.org> wrote in message
> David
>
> You cannot use a Product Key for a version of Windows to install a
> different version of Windows.
>
> Sorry if you this is not what you want to hear, but Dell Sales is
> wrong.
>

> david wrote:
>> But Dell sales said it should be ok. That's why I want to find the
>> answer.
>>
>> "Ronnie Vernon MVP" wrote:
>>
>>> No, you will have to use the XP product key.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Ronnie Vernon
>>> Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows Shell/User

Ricky Traynor

Re: Can I install the window xp pro with vista license?
Did you actually read the original post yourself?

Without details of the original posters licensing situation we cannot
clarify the situation to the benefit of the original poster. However, I have
to raise issue with your comments regardless...

5 licenses are not required, I personaly have purchased a single Vista
license on an exisitng open license authorisation number, in this case the
eopen website provided a Windows Vista key and a Windows XP volume key for
my use for a single licensed copy of vista.
Retail copies of vista are not available yet (Apart from MSDN etc),
therefore I was assuming that the original poster was a volume business
customer.
The original poster simply asked if a vista licence could be used to install
a copy of XP. If an XP key is provided with the vista licence then the
answer is yes.

How oem licences work with regards to downgrade rights I am not sure.