Preview Pane broken

=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

Preview Pane broken
Hi,

Wonder if anyone else has had this problem. The preview pane in Vista does
not seem to be displaying any contents. I've tired all the expected places
e.g. "Organise" > "Layout" > "Preview Pane" and also "Organise" > "Folder and
Search Options" > "View" all the various options I expect to see checked are.
I've tried unchecking and rechecking but it seems to make no difference.

This happens with all types: email, documents, pictures, music and other.

Obviously I can double click them and open them in their native application
but the preview option seems like a great idea.

As an aside, and not sure if it is related, but Outlook 2007 does not
preview picture attachments either. It comes back with a message "no such
interface supported". Again, not sure of the reason or if its related, but
any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

David
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

RE: Preview Pane broken
Anyone else found this problem?? Thanks - David

"David" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wonder if anyone else has had this problem. The preview pane in Vista does
> not seem to be displaying any contents. I've tired all the expected places
> e.g. "Organise" > "Layout" > "Preview Pane" and also "Organise" > "Folder and
> Search Options" > "View" all the various options I expect to see checked are.
> I've tried unchecking and rechecking but it seems to make no difference.
>
> This happens with all types: email, documents, pictures, music and other.
>
> Obviously I can double click them and open them in their native application
> but the preview option seems like a great idea.
>
> As an aside, and not sure if it is related, but Outlook 2007 does not
> preview picture attachments either. It comes back with a message "no such
> interface supported". Again, not sure of the reason or if its related, but
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
>
> David

Dave Champagne

Same problem
I'm having the same problem on one PC. On another, it works just fine.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
=?Utf-8?B?RGF2aWQ=?=

RE: Same problem
I've reinstalled my computer today. This time - it all works fine. Maybe
it'll break again once I've got more of the applications reinstalled.

"Dave Champagne" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem on one PC. On another, it works just fine.

> http://www.eggheadcafe.com

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmUgRm94b24=?=

RE: Same problem
I have recently upgraded from XP PRo to Vista Business and also have this
problem. It works fine for images, but it won't display even a simple text
file. The preview pane is just blank. Same for word, powerpoint docs etc.

Any helps would be appreciated.

Cheers.

"David" wrote:

> I've reinstalled my computer today. This time - it all works fine. Maybe
> it'll break again once I've got more of the applications reinstalled.
>

> "Dave Champagne" wrote:
>
> > I'm having the same problem on one PC. On another, it works just fine.
> >
> > EggHeadCafe.com - .NET Developer Portal of Choice
> > http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Nigel Molesworth

Re: Same problem
On Thu, 21 Dec 2006 10:42:46 -0800, Dave Champagne wrote:

>I'm having the same problem on one PC. On another, it works just fine.

Err... what problem would this be?

--
Nigel M
=?Utf-8?B?QnJpZGdldA==?=

RE: Preview Pane broken
I am having trouble with the preview pane as well. The only "preview" that I
am getting is the icon for which program the file is associated with. For
example, all of the .jpg files are showing the icon for Windows Photo Gallery
rather than the picture itself. I'm less interested in previewing documents,
but I would like to preview photos rather than having click to find out if it
was the one I had in mind.

This is a new Dell Laptop (Inspiron 6400, Core 2 Duo 2gHz, with 2g RAM).
The preview pane has never worked, so I doubt that some kind of system
restore will fix it. Any other ideas on how to get it to work properly?

"David" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Wonder if anyone else has had this problem. The preview pane in Vista does
> not seem to be displaying any contents. I've tired all the expected places
> e.g. "Organise" > "Layout" > "Preview Pane" and also "Organise" > "Folder and
> Search Options" > "View" all the various options I expect to see checked are.
> I've tried unchecking and rechecking but it seems to make no difference.
>
> This happens with all types: email, documents, pictures, music and other.
>
> Obviously I can double click them and open them in their native application
> but the preview option seems like a great idea.
>
> As an aside, and not sure if it is related, but Outlook 2007 does not
> preview picture attachments either. It comes back with a message "no such
> interface supported". Again, not sure of the reason or if its related, but
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> Kind regards
>
> David

Puppy Breath

Re: Preview Pane broken
I'm not 100% sure but try this: Click the Organize button and choose Folder
and Search Options. Click the View tab and clear the first checkbox "Always
show icons..." then click OK. That should get you thumbnails for JPEGs and
such.

For documents you often have to choose Save Thumbnail in the Save As dialog
box when saving the file.

--
"Bridget" <Bridget@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with the preview pane as well. The only "preview" that
> am getting is the icon for which program the file is associated with. For
> example, all of the .jpg files are showing the icon for Windows Photo
> Gallery
> rather than the picture itself. I'm less interested in previewing
> documents,
> but I would like to preview photos rather than having click to find out if
> it
> was the one I had in mind.
>
> This is a new Dell Laptop (Inspiron 6400, Core 2 Duo 2gHz, with 2g RAM).
> The preview pane has never worked, so I doubt that some kind of system
> restore will fix it. Any other ideas on how to get it to work properly?
>
> "David" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Wonder if anyone else has had this problem. The preview pane in Vista
>> does
>> not seem to be displaying any contents. I've tired all the expected
>> places
>> e.g. "Organise" > "Layout" > "Preview Pane" and also "Organise" > "Folder
>> and
>> Search Options" > "View" all the various options I expect to see checked
>> are.
>> I've tried unchecking and rechecking but it seems to make no difference.
>>
>> This happens with all types: email, documents, pictures, music and other.
>>
>> Obviously I can double click them and open them in their native
>> application
>> but the preview option seems like a great idea.
>>
>> As an aside, and not sure if it is related, but Outlook 2007 does not
>> preview picture attachments either. It comes back with a message "no
>> such
>> interface supported". Again, not sure of the reason or if its related,
>> but
>> any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> David

=?Utf-8?B?QnJpZGdldA==?=

Re: Preview Pane broken
Much appreciated. This was the answer I needed. I don't recall every
checking the box that says "Always Show Icons...", but I certainly did need
it unchecked.

Thanks again!