Extra Vista Folder Icons ??

Synapse Syndrome

Extra Vista Folder Icons ??
With XP I have a collection of extra folder icons to organise my stuff.
They include coloured icons as well as lot of different graphical ones.

e.g.
http://www.iconaholic.com/images/dow...s-previews.jpg

I was wondering if anybody has made scalable Vista folder icons yet?

Cheers

ss.

Chad Harris

Re: Extra Vista Folder Icons ??
I'm sure many of the 3rd party icon makers are making icons and those are
available via search engines.

However, Vista does have a number of new .dll folders in :\Windows System32
that have new icons, and you have to try them one by one or else use one of
the icon extractors. I prefer to try them one by one and list them in
notepad or an email to myself.

I can extract any of them manually and I don't miss them if I check every
..dll, .exe and zip file and program folders on every possible drive and
directory and folder list including in and out of Windows. It's not a
quesiton of don't have to, it's a question of tapping every source for the
most icons and variety.

You can sub any icon that comes with Vista, and there are about 2500 or
more--or any icon that comes
with any downloaded 3rd party program or any MSFT program like Office.

And of course the web applying favicon.ico to a url is an endless source for
an icon collection.

There are all kinds of 3rd party free icon harvesters, but I much prefer
to do this manually either drawing from icons within Vista or you can make
an icon folder as well by simply creating a folder, then going to
urls and adding favicon.ico to the url after a / . Not every site will have
them. Sometimes you'll see the favicon at the upper left corner of the
window, but it won't drag to the desktop so you do a suspender number or
pull it from the top left extreme corner of the window and let it snap back
2-3 times and then you can pull it from that same location to the desktop.
Then you must rename the favicon and give it a h ome, i.e. you have to tuck
it into that favicons folder (call it anything you like) Icons or whatever
so that it will not revert back to a generic small "e" when you delete TIFs
or when you reboot.

Good luck,

CH

"Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMgomez404.elitemail.org> wrote in message
> With XP I have a collection of extra folder icons to organise my stuff.
> They include coloured icons as well as lot of different graphical ones.
>
> e.g.
> http://www.iconaholic.com/images/dow...s-previews.jpg
>
> I was wondering if anybody has made scalable Vista folder icons yet?
>
> Cheers
>
> ss.

=?Utf-8?B?RmF0ZWM=?=

RE: Extra Vista Folder Icons ??
Browse to www.deviantart.com/. and type in "Vista icons" in the search box.
You will find a virtual treasure trove of icons and PNGs.

Synapse Syndrome

Re: Extra Vista Folder Icons ??
"Fatec" <Fatec@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Browse to www.deviantart.com/. and type in "Vista icons" in the search
> box.
> You will find a virtual treasure trove of icons and PNGs.

Thanks. I've even got a profile on that site and I never thought to look
there. I found a couple of good folder icon packs there.

Most of the results are actually Vista icons for XP, and aren't in
..png/256x256 format. But there are a couple of useful folder icon sets.
Annoyingly, a lot of people are making folders coloured as virtual folders
instead of normal yellow folders.

ss.

=?Utf-8?B?RmF0ZWM=?=

Re: Extra Vista Folder Icons ??
Ok. You can also go to Deviantart.com, and search for PNGS. Then go to the
PNG Factory (Google the exact URL...I forgot!)..they have TONS of high
resolution PNGS in 256 format that can be converted to icons.

Jan Ilacqua [MVP]

Re: Extra Vista Folder Icons ??
Hi! :-)

Why not make your own?
Freeware:
http://www.jhepple.com/iconmkr.htm
Shareware - 30 day trial
http://www.axialis.com/index.html
I have used then both on XP, but, haven't tried them on Vista

Hope this helps.

Jan
MS MVP - Windows IE