RE: Programs ???

=?Utf-8?B?SmltbXkgQnJ1c2g=?=

RE: Programs ???
"Jaxdom" wrote:

(edited for content)
> Why the **** do you not allow me to run programs without 20 dialog pop-ups
> asking me the same question 20 times over whether I really want to run
> software on my computer?

The computer is not asking you if you want the program to run; it is asking
you if you want to give that program COMPLETE control over your computer.

When you are logged in as an administrator, YOU have complete control over
your computer. However, the computer is smart enough to know that you may not
want EVERY program that you run have this power as well.

So, if a program tells your computer that it wants to use ALL of your powers
(which can be used for good or bad), the computer asks YOU if you want to
allow that program to have this awesome power.

Programs that do not ask for this power do not receive it, and you can be
confident that those programs that do not ask will not be able to severely
harm your computer.

The computer has no way of knowing how much power you want to give the
programs you run without asking you.

- JB
Joe Zapert

Re: Programs ???
One of the big problems with UAC and the new security model are the amount
of confirmation dialogs generated. This isn't just about user annoyance,
it's about the psychology of asking users for permission. Once you've done
so a very large number of times, for tasks them seem mundane to users, users
will begin to take the dialogs less and less seriously!

This problem is exacerbated by the way UAC is initiated in Explorer, for
example. When a user tries to delete a file, he might have to confirm it
three times in a row! (Yes to Explorer's are-you-sure, Yes to confirm an
elevation request... this will have that little button with the windows
security logo on it, and then Yes on the UAC dialog.) A similar situation
happens in Internet Explorer because of the warning about opening files from
the internet. Also, there are going to be lots and lots of applications that
need elevation to run, so the user will be very used to clicking yes to
this.

Eventually, Joe user who doesn't know how to turn off UAC is going to be
sooo conditioned to click Okay, okay, yes, yes, okay, yes... he's going to
stop reading dialogs!

It would help if Windows would consolodate some of this
multiple-confirms-in-a-row, but I realize they don't because they want to
let the user know something he does is going to bring up the secure desktop.
Personally, I think that is a less important goal than consolodating
confirmations.