Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?

microsoft.public.windows.vista.file management






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
Vista HP

1. Is there any way to restore/create a New Folder button for Explorer
windows... (why on earth did they take it away???)

2. How can I tell Vista to stop adding "- Shortcut" to shortcut names?
(aaargh!)

3. Bug? (or oversight!) Shortcut to an image produces an image in the
Details pane, but I get "No Preview Available" in the Preview Pane

.... annoying, I want to create shortcuts as a way of organising images in a
way that a custom search won't support without going to the trouble of
creating lots of tags...

Any help appreciated!


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
RE: 3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
Another issue related to (3) is that Tags can only be applied to some image
types incl JPG but not GIF, not PNG...

This means I can't do what I want even with a Saved Search using tags...


"Julian" wrote:

> Vista HP
>
> 1. Is there any way to restore/create a New Folder button for Explorer
> windows... (why on earth did they take it away???)
>
> 2. How can I tell Vista to stop adding "- Shortcut" to shortcut names?
> (aaargh!)
>
> 3. Bug? (or oversight!) Shortcut to an image produces an image in the
> Details pane, but I get "No Preview Available" in the Preview Pane
>
> ... annoying, I want to create shortcuts as a way of organising images in a
> way that a custom search won't support without going to the trouble of
> creating lots of tags...
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007
cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 03:49:00 -0700, Julian

>Another issue related to (3) is that Tags can only be applied to some image
>types incl JPG but not GIF, not PNG...


>This means I can't do what I want even with a Saved Search using tags...


I read a blog article from the feature team concerned, and the
thinking has been to shift from separate tagging systems to tagging
within the internal fields where supported by the file type.

There are pros and cons to this, but one of the cons is that file
types that don't offer suitable fields, won't be tagged.

AFAIK, XP used to do this using ADS attached to the files being
tagged. That's NTFS-only, so tags would be lost when carrying files
around on FAT-formatted USB sticks, etc.

There are also concerns about ADS that make me very happy if they
remain unused. The shell doesn't UI them to the user, there are no
limitations on content within these, and code running within these can
masquerade as the file to which they are attached, when it comes to
firewall egress control and other integrety checkers.



>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

On the 'net, *everyone* can hear you scream
>---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2007
Ramesh, MS-MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
1) The "Folder" entry appears correctly here. I don't know how it got removed from your system. You should be able to restore it using the folder association fix here:
http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/214/1/

2) See "Method 3" in Microsoft KB 253212

How to Prevent "Shortcut to" Prefix from Being Added to New Shortcuts:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=253212
Infact it's the " - Shortcut" suffix that gets added. "Method 3" in the above link works fine in Vista as well.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com


"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE4D472E-8FFB-44DA-8C0D-31F068BFDD81@microsoft.com...
Vista HP

1. Is there any way to restore/create a New Folder button for Explorer
windows... (why on earth did they take it away???)

2. How can I tell Vista to stop adding "- Shortcut" to shortcut names?
(aaargh!)

3. Bug? (or oversight!) Shortcut to an image produces an image in the
Details pane, but I get "No Preview Available" in the Preview Pane

.... annoying, I want to create shortcuts as a way of organising images in a
way that a custom search won't support without going to the trouble of
creating lots of tags...

Any help appreciated!


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
I've had my share of trouble with ADS too so I agree that it's better if it
isn't used. I went through the same thought process myself: tags must be file
format constrained... could put in it ADS - UGH!... surely there's another
way?

If the Preview Pane could show a Preview via a shortcut - and why not, the
other pane can - it would be a start...

Thanks for the feedback though,

"cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)" wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 03:49:00 -0700, Julian
>
> >Another issue related to (3) is that Tags can only be applied to some image
> >types incl JPG but not GIF, not PNG...

>
> >This means I can't do what I want even with a Saved Search using tags...

>
> I read a blog article from the feature team concerned, and the
> thinking has been to shift from separate tagging systems to tagging
> within the internal fields where supported by the file type.
>
> There are pros and cons to this, but one of the cons is that file
> types that don't offer suitable fields, won't be tagged.
>
> AFAIK, XP used to do this using ADS attached to the files being
> tagged. That's NTFS-only, so tags would be lost when carrying files
> around on FAT-formatted USB sticks, etc.
>
> There are also concerns about ADS that make me very happy if they
> remain unused. The shell doesn't UI them to the user, there are no
> limitations on content within these, and code running within these can
> masquerade as the file to which they are attached, when it comes to
> firewall egress control and other integrety checkers.
>
>
>
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

> On the 'net, *everyone* can hear you scream
> >---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -

>

Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
I really did mean "button" (as per XP) - the File Menu has New Folder but I
am fed up with multiple keyboard/mouse actions when one used to suffice. Even
a context menu action for such a common occurrence is too much...

Thanks for the shortcut suffix regkey fix - worked first time

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> 1) The "Folder" entry appears correctly here. I don't know how it got removed from your system. You should be able to restore it using the folder association fix here:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/214/1/
>
> 2) See "Method 3" in Microsoft KB 253212
>
> How to Prevent "Shortcut to" Prefix from Being Added to New Shortcuts:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=253212
> Infact it's the " - Shortcut" suffix that gets added. "Method 3" in the above link works fine in Vista as well.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>
>
> "Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE4D472E-8FFB-44DA-8C0D-31F068BFDD81@microsoft.com...
> Vista HP
>
> 1. Is there any way to restore/create a New Folder button for Explorer
> windows... (why on earth did they take it away???)
>
> 2. How can I tell Vista to stop adding "- Shortcut" to shortcut names?
> (aaargh!)
>
> 3. Bug? (or oversight!) Shortcut to an image produces an image in the
> Details pane, but I get "No Preview Available" in the Preview Pane
>
> .... annoying, I want to create shortcuts as a way of organising images in a
> way that a custom search won't support without going to the trouble of
> creating lots of tags...
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2007
Julian
 

Posts: n/a
RE: 3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
And it gets worse...

A search (indexed) for tags finds the files I was able to tag but NEITHER
the details pane NOR the preview pane show a Preview...

Rather undermines the value of the Search and Saved Search...


"Julian" wrote:

> Another issue related to (3) is that Tags can only be applied to some image
> types incl JPG but not GIF, not PNG...
>
> This means I can't do what I want even with a Saved Search using tags...
>
>
> "Julian" wrote:
>
> > Vista HP
> >
> > 1. Is there any way to restore/create a New Folder button for Explorer
> > windows... (why on earth did they take it away???)
> >
> > 2. How can I tell Vista to stop adding "- Shortcut" to shortcut names?
> > (aaargh!)
> >
> > 3. Bug? (or oversight!) Shortcut to an image produces an image in the
> > Details pane, but I get "No Preview Available" in the Preview Pane
> >
> > ... annoying, I want to create shortcuts as a way of organising images in a
> > way that a custom search won't support without going to the trouble of
> > creating lots of tags...
> >
> > Any help appreciated!
> >
> >

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-26-2007
Ramesh, MS-MVP
 

Posts: n/a
Re: 3xQ - "New Folder" button?, "- Shortcut" suffix, Preview bug?
Julian,

>> I really did mean "button" (as per XP)


Ok. I misread the question!

>> Thanks for the shortcut suffix regkey fix - worked first time


Excellent! Thanks for the feedback.

--
Regards,

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com


"Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A966AE7F-9F75-4CBF-89FE-92232A00745F@microsoft.com...
I really did mean "button" (as per XP) - the File Menu has New Folder but I
am fed up with multiple keyboard/mouse actions when one used to suffice. Even
a context menu action for such a common occurrence is too much...

Thanks for the shortcut suffix regkey fix - worked first time

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> 1) The "Folder" entry appears correctly here. I don't know how it got removed from your system. You should be able to restore it using the folder association fix here:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/articles/214/1/
>
> 2) See "Method 3" in Microsoft KB 253212
>
> How to Prevent "Shortcut to" Prefix from Being Added to New Shortcuts:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=253212
> Infact it's the " - Shortcut" suffix that gets added. "Method 3" in the above link works fine in Vista as well.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows Shell/User]
> Windows® Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com
>
>
> "Julian" <Julian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BE4D472E-8FFB-44DA-8C0D-31F068BFDD81@microsoft.com...
> Vista HP
>
> 1. Is there any way to restore/create a New Folder button for Explorer
> windows... (why on earth did they take it away???)
>
> 2. How can I tell Vista to stop adding "- Shortcut" to shortcut names?
> (aaargh!)
>
> 3. Bug? (or oversight!) Shortcut to an image produces an image in the
> Details pane, but I get "No Preview Available" in the Preview Pane
>
> .... annoying, I want to create shortcuts as a way of organising images in a
> way that a custom search won't support without going to the trouble of
> creating lots of tags...
>
> Any help appreciated!
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! need help on removing "recent __" in the "searches" folder =?Utf-8?B?U05PV0JPTUI3?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 22 04-10-2007 17:40
HELP! need help on removing "recent __" in the "searches" folder =?Utf-8?B?U05PV0JPTUI3?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 04-06-2007 08:27
Missing "Documents" and "Music" folder. Sean microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 04-05-2007 05:36
"copy to folder" and "move to folder" buttons =?Utf-8?B?b3pibG9rZTE5NTU=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 03-01-2007 05:13
WM5 Sync with Vista "Windows Calender", "Contacts", and "Mail" =?Utf-8?B?VG9ueQ==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 02-17-2007 01:20




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:03.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120