How can I search for word or phrase in a file?

jb5qld

How can I search for word or phrase in a file?
In XP I had my Search Behaviour set to Advanced so I could search for a word
or phrase in a file .. something I may use many times a day

For the life of me I can't find a substitute or a work-around in Vista. Is
there a way?

Also does anybody know how to retain the size of Windows Explorer; in XP
holding down the Ctrl key as I clicked the X used to work, but not in Vista.
Neil Harley

Re: How can I search for word or phrase in a file?
jb5qld wrote:
> In XP I had my Search Behaviour set to Advanced so I could search for a word
> or phrase in a file .. something I may use many times a day
>
> For the life of me I can't find a substitute or a work-around in Vista. Is
> there a way?

I find that when I type whatever it is I'm looking for within a document
into the 'Start Search' entry box it is found without having to use the
Search function.

Click on the Orb and enter the text you're looking for. If it isn't
found you may need to add the file's location as an indexed location.

> Also does anybody know how to retain the size of Windows Explorer; in XP
> holding down the Ctrl key as I clicked the X used to work, but not in Vista.

I can resize and when I click on the red X the window will have the same
size and location the next time I open it.

Doug

Re: How can I search for word or phrase in a file?
WindowsKey+F
Doesn't matter if you are in the middle of something else at the time.
Surround a phrase with DOUBLE quotes (single doesn't work).
In Details View sort results by date, name, type or whatever clicking column
header.

Edy Tang is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How can I search for word or phrase in a file?
1. Open Windows Explorer.

2. In the search data field, type ...

name: *.doc text: hello

Edy Tang is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: How can I search for word or phrase in a file?
... continue

file criteria: all .doc file
Search for a "hello" word
ED

RE: How can I search for word or phrase in a file?
Is it possible to retrieve permanently deleted e mail?
--
Ed

Dave

Re: How can I search for word or phrase in a file?
You can try an undelete program, such as Recuva...
http://www.recuva.com/
look for .eml files.

--
Windows 7 beta