Destination Folder Access Denied

mattaustin

Destination Folder Access Denied
Trying to delete a folder that I downloaded from a file-sharing network, and
keep getting this message: Destination Folder Access Denied. Reading the
posts on the subjects gets me way over my head. I checked the properties and
am just not understanding how to change ownership and/or permissions. Any
help for a novice?
I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium. The folder is a J. Garcia/D. Grisman
show that is over 4GB. I've copied to DVD, and would like to delete for space
requirements.
Leo

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
This may help.
Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder

Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f <filename or folder>

OR

- Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties

- Click Security Tab

- Click Advanced

- Click the Owner Tab

- Click Edit

- Select the Administrators group from the list

- Click OK

- Click OK

- Click OK

You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property

Windows

Now again

1) Right-click on the file

2) Select Properties

3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button

4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and tick

the 'allow' box for 'Full control'

You have now taken 'Full control' of file

--
Leo

Some ends don't justify the jeans

"mattaustin" <mattaustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to delete a folder that I downloaded from a file-sharing network,
> and
> keep getting this message: Destination Folder Access Denied. Reading the
> posts on the subjects gets me way over my head. I checked the properties
> and
> am just not understanding how to change ownership and/or permissions. Any
> help for a novice?
> I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium. The folder is a J. Garcia/D.
> Grisman
> show that is over 4GB. I've copied to DVD, and would like to delete for
> space
> requirements.

mattaustin

"Leo" wrote:

> This may help.
> Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder
>

> Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f <filename or folder>
>
> OR
>
> - Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties
>
> - Click Security Tab
>
> - Click Advanced
>
> - Click the Owner Tab
>
> - Click Edit
>
> - Select the Administrators group from the list
>
> - Click OK
>
> - Click OK
>
> - Click OK
>
> You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property
>
> Windows
>

> Now again
>

> 1) Right-click on the file
>
> 2) Select Properties
>
> 3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button
>
> 4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and tick
>
> the 'allow' box for 'Full control'
>

> You have now taken 'Full control' of file
>

> --
> Leo
>
> Some ends don't justify the jeans
>

> "mattaustin" <mattaustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to delete a folder that I downloaded from a file-sharing network,
> > and
> > keep getting this message: Destination Folder Access Denied. Reading the
> > posts on the subjects gets me way over my head. I checked the properties
> > and
> > am just not understanding how to change ownership and/or permissions. Any
> > help for a novice?
> > I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium. The folder is a J. Garcia/D.
> > Grisman
> > show that is over 4GB. I've copied to DVD, and would like to delete for
> > space
> > requirements.

> No can do. Applied all steps and still getting the same message: Destination Folder Access Denied.

Tried to get the properties of the individual files in the folder and under
current owner: unable to display owner.
Double click on Administrator group and got error message: Unable to set new
owner. Access Denied.
I'd love to get to the bottom of this, but I guess I can live with the fat
man on my drive for a little longer.
Ricky Cheng

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
Did you turn off UAC?

> "Leo" wrote:
>
>> This may help.
>> Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder
>>

>> Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f <filename or
>> folder>
>>
>> OR
>>
>> - Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties
>>
>> - Click Security Tab
>>
>> - Click Advanced
>>
>> - Click the Owner Tab
>>
>> - Click Edit
>>
>> - Select the Administrators group from the list
>>
>> - Click OK
>>
>> - Click OK
>>
>> - Click OK
>>
>> You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property
>>
>> Windows
>>

>> Now again
>>

>> 1) Right-click on the file
>>
>> 2) Select Properties
>>
>> 3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button
>>
>> 4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and
>> tick
>>
>> the 'allow' box for 'Full control'
>>

>> You have now taken 'Full control' of file
>>

>> --
>> Leo
>>
>> Some ends don't justify the jeans
>>

>> "mattaustin" <mattaustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Trying to delete a folder that I downloaded from a file-sharing
>> > network,
>> > and
>> > keep getting this message: Destination Folder Access Denied. Reading
>> > the
>> > posts on the subjects gets me way over my head. I checked the
>> > properties
>> > and
>> > am just not understanding how to change ownership and/or permissions.
>> > Any
>> > help for a novice?
>> > I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium. The folder is a J. Garcia/D.
>> > Grisman
>> > show that is over 4GB. I've copied to DVD, and would like to delete for
>> > space
>> > requirements.

>> No can do. Applied all steps and still getting the same message:
>> Destination Folder Access Denied.

> Tried to get the properties of the individual files in the folder and
> under
> current owner: unable to display owner.
> Double click on Administrator group and got error message: Unable to set
> new
> owner. Access Denied.
> I'd love to get to the bottom of this, but I guess I can live with the fat
> man on my drive for a little longer.

mattaustin

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied

No, I've left UAC on. Control Panel to turn it off? Do I turn it back on
when I'm done, or should I leave it off?

"Ricky Cheng" wrote:

> Did you turn off UAC?
>
> "mattaustin" <mattaustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >

> > "Leo" wrote:
> >
> >> This may help.
> >> Step by step instruction on how to take ownership of a folder
> >>

> >> Run CMD (as administrator) and type: takeown [path] /f <filename or
> >> folder>
> >>
> >> OR
> >>
> >> - Right-click the file/folder you want to own, click properties
> >>
> >> - Click Security Tab
> >>
> >> - Click Advanced
> >>
> >> - Click the Owner Tab
> >>
> >> - Click Edit
> >>
> >> - Select the Administrators group from the list
> >>
> >> - Click OK
> >>
> >> - Click OK
> >>
> >> - Click OK
> >>
> >> You have now taken 'Ownership' of the file and you can close the property
> >>
> >> Windows
> >>

> >> Now again
> >>

> >> 1) Right-click on the file
> >>
> >> 2) Select Properties
> >>
> >> 3) Go to the Security tab again, click the Advanced button
> >>
> >> 4) Now Press Edit, then double-click 'Administrators' in the list and
> >> tick
> >>
> >> the 'allow' box for 'Full control'
> >>

> >> You have now taken 'Full control' of file
> >>

> >> --
> >> Leo
> >>
> >> Some ends don't justify the jeans
> >>

> >> "mattaustin" <mattaustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >>
> >> No can do. Applied all steps and still getting the same message:
> >> Destination Folder Access Denied.

> > Tried to get the properties of the individual files in the folder and
> > under
> > current owner: unable to display owner.
> > Double click on Administrator group and got error message: Unable to set
> > new
> > owner. Access Denied.
> > I'd love to get to the bottom of this, but I guess I can live with the fat
> > man on my drive for a little longer.

mattaustin

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied

Thanks, Ricky! Turned off UAC, restarted computer and its gone and nothing's
gonna bring him back...
"mattaustin" wrote:

> No, I've left UAC on. Control Panel to turn it off? Do I turn it back on
> when I'm done, or should I leave it off?
>
> "Ricky Cheng" wrote:
>
> > Did you turn off UAC?
> >
> > "mattaustin" <mattaustin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Tried to get the properties of the individual files in the folder and
> > > under
> > > current owner: unable to display owner.
> > > Double click on Administrator group and got error message: Unable to set
> > > new
> > > owner. Access Denied.
> > > I'd love to get to the bottom of this, but I guess I can live with the fat
> > > man on my drive for a little longer.

Ricky Cheng

Re: Destination Folder Access Denied
Just remind you Microsoft recommend to keep it on unless you having problem
on it ......

> Thanks, Ricky! Turned off UAC, restarted computer and its gone and
> nothing's
> gonna bring him back...
> "mattaustin" wrote:
>

>> No, I've left UAC on. Control Panel to turn it off? Do I turn it back on
>> when I'm done, or should I leave it off?
>>
>> "Ricky Cheng" wrote:
>>
>> > Did you turn off UAC?

Walter Teague

Difficulty deleting folders or files in Vista.
I just found a solution for my problem. Seems that if a folder is set to be shared, then you can't delete it! I could delete files in the folder, but not the whole folder.

So I just took the sharing off, deleted the unwanted folder and then reset the sharing.

Much easier than the other solutions and anyway they didn't work for me.

Walter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
Sanjay Jain

destination folder access denied vista
While u copy any folder from Other computer or download it may be a folder which was shared on the source and it doesn't have any permissions.
to delete such folder
1.)First turn-off UAC
2.)Then stop sharing the Unknown-Owner
3.)Change the permissions if possible
4.)Now delete the Folder

mattausti wrote:

No, I've left UAC on. Control Panel to turn it off?
01-Jun-07

No, I have left UAC on. Control Panel to turn it off? Do I turn it back on
when I am done, or should I leave it off?

"Ricky Cheng" wrote:

On Friday, June 01, 2007 7:09 PM
mattausti wrote:

Destination Folder Access Denied
Trying to delete a folder that I downloaded from a file-sharing network, and
keep getting this message: Destination Folder Access Denied. Reading the
posts on the subjects gets me way over my head. I checked the properties and
am just not understanding how to change ownership and/or permissions. Any
help for a novice?
I just upgraded to Vista Home Premium. The folder is a J. Garcia/D. Grisman
show that is over 4GB. I've copied to DVD, and would like to delete for space
requirements.

On Friday, June 01, 2007 8:25 PM
Leo wrote:

This may help.
[...]

"Leo" wrote:

Tried to get the properties of the individual files in the folder and under
current owner: unable to display owner.
Double click on Administrator group and got error message: Unable to set new
owner. Access Denied.
I'd love to get to the bottom of this, but I guess I can live with the fat
man on my drive for a little longer.

On Friday, June 01, 2007 9:49 PM
Ricky Cheng wrote:

Did you turn off UAC?
Did you turn off UAC?

On Friday, June 01, 2007 10:58 PM
mattausti wrote:

No, I've left UAC on. Control Panel to turn it off?
No, I have left UAC on. Control Panel to turn it off? Do I turn it back on
when I am done, or should I leave it off?

"Ricky Cheng" wrote:

On Friday, June 01, 2007 11:43 PM
mattausti wrote:

Thanks, Ricky!
Thanks, Ricky! Turned off UAC, restarted computer and its gone and nothing's
gonna bring him back...
"mattaustin" wrote:

On Saturday, June 02, 2007 2:20 AM
Ricky Cheng wrote:

Just remind you Microsoft recommend to keep it on unless you having problem on
Just remind you Microsoft recommend to keep it on unless you having problem
on it ......

On Wednesday, July 04, 2007 9:22 PM
Walter Teague wrote:

Difficulty deleting folders or files in Vista.
I just found a solution for my problem. Seems that if a folder is set to be shared, then you can't delete it! I could delete files in the folder, but not the whole folder.

So I just took the sharing off, deleted the unwanted folder and then reset the sharing.

Much easier than the other solutions and anyway they didn't work for me.

Walter

DataContractSerializer Basics
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials...alizer-ba.aspx
Sanjay Jain

destination folder access denied vista
By the way thanks Mattusti...

Sanjay Jain wrote:

destination folder access denied vista
30-Mar-10

While u copy any folder from Other computer or download it may be a folder which was shared on the source and it doesn't have any permissions.
to delete such folder
1.)First turn-off UAC
2.)Then stop sharing the Unknown-Owner
3.)Change the permissions if possible