Problems with Vista backup program

I've not been able to complete any file backups successfully
for about two months. Some of the error messages
suggest that I need to tell my antivirus program to stop
interfering with accesses to wherever the list of previous
backups is stored - but so far I've had no success finding
out just where that is.

I have found that a program C:\Windows\System32\sdclt.exe
seems to be responsible for doing the backup, under either
32-bit Vista or 64-bit Vista, but not where it stores the data
about the backups it has finished making

Do any of you know where to find that list?

By the way, my antivirus program is Norton Internet
Security 2010, and my attempts to get Symantec/Norton
to fix this problem have accomplished little more than
getting one of their people to try to persuade me to
delete the backup program.

Also, could this backup program be revised so that
it will, if necessary, make multiple attempts to access
that list and update it, and, if necessary, will have no
problems formatting three or more DVD+RWs and
putting the backup on that many?

Robert Miles

David_2010's Avatar

David_2010 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problems with Vista backup program
Hello Robert,

If you are using a compatible version of Windows Vista, Windows Vista: Compare editions and if you have the latest Norton Internet Security 2010, (17.6.0.32), there should not be any problem.

A suggestion would be to check clearing the Windows Logs.
The maximum log size under Windows Vista is 20Mb, if this limit is reached, it is better to proceed with a “cleaning” log process.
Then reboot the machine and try.

Regarding the Windows Vista backup features, I hope this link might help you: Windows Vista: A Guide to Windows Vista Backup Technologies

I hope this can help.
__________________
David
Norton Support
For more information, please visit the
Norton Support website http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp or the
Norton Community http://community.norton.com/

Re: Problems with Vista backup program
"David_2010" <David_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message newsavid_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hello Robert,
>
> If you are using a compatible version of Windows Vista, 'Windows Vista:
> Compare editions' (http://tinyurl.com/5jthjh) and if you have the latest
> Norton Internet Security 2010, (17.6.0.32), there should not be any
> problem.

I'm using Windows Home Premium SP2, with almost all the updates already
applied (Windows Live on only one 64-bit machine; still using mostly
Windows Mail on all three machines; one more 64-bit and one 32-bit). That
web page isn't very clear about whether these versions qualify as
compatible.

The Norton Internet Security 2010 version is 17.6.0.32.

> A suggestion would be to check clearing the Windows Logs.
> The maximum log size under Windows Vista is 20Mb, if this limit is
> reached, it is better to proceed with a "cleaning" log process.
> Then reboot the machine and try.

How do I find the Windows Logs and the program which can clear
them?

> Regarding the Windows Vista backup features, I hope this link might
> help you: 'Windows Vista: A Guide to Windows Vista Backup Technologies'
> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...09.backup.aspx)
>
> I hope this can help.

When I start the backup program, it never shows me the parts about
the Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore Image or the part
about Advanced Restore, even after it says its list of previous backup
is corrupted and it says It need to do a backup of all the data files.

How can I tell how many DVDs would be needed for such a
complete backup, or do I need to buy an external disk drive to
have a reasonable place to store them?

<robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> "David_2010" <David_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message newsavid_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>>
>> Hello Robert,
>>
>> If you are using a compatible version of Windows Vista, 'Windows Vista:
>> Compare editions' (http://tinyurl.com/5jthjh) and if you have the latest
>> Norton Internet Security 2010, (17.6.0.32), there should not be any
>> problem.

> I'm using Windows Home Premium SP2, with almost all the updates already
> applied (Windows Live on only one 64-bit machine; still using mostly
> Windows Mail on all three machines; one more 64-bit and one 32-bit). That
> web page isn't very clear about whether these versions qualify as
> compatible.
>
> The Norton Internet Security 2010 version is 17.6.0.32.
>
>> A suggestion would be to check clearing the Windows Logs.
>> The maximum log size under Windows Vista is 20Mb, if this limit is
>> reached, it is better to proceed with a "cleaning" log process.
>> Then reboot the machine and try.

> How do I find the Windows Logs and the program which can clear
> them?
>
>> Regarding the Windows Vista backup features, I hope this link might
>> help you: 'Windows Vista: A Guide to Windows Vista Backup Technologies'
>> (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/m...09.backup.aspx)
>>
>> I hope this can help.
>>

> When I start the backup program, it never shows me the parts about
> the Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore Image or the part
> about Advanced Restore, even after it says its list of previous backup
> is corrupted and it says It need to do a backup of all the data files.
>
> How can I tell how many DVDs would be needed for such a
> complete backup, or do I need to buy an external disk drive to
> have a reasonable place to store them?
>>
>> --
>> David_2010
>>
>> David
>> Norton Support
>> For more information, please visit the
>> Norton Support website http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp
>> or the
>> Norton Community http://community.norton.com/
>>

> Robert Miles

Today, I found that the help file says that Vista Home Premium does NOT
include Windows Complete PC Backup and Restore Image, so I can't use
it at present. How safe is upgrading to one of the versions of Vista that
does include it, with no current backups?

Where can I find instructions for dividing the C: partition in halves, so I
can
try running Windows 7 on one of the halves for a while and still retain the
ability to go back to Vista?

I'm running the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner on the same 64-bit
machine as the task that's now reached 262 hours, with no usable
checkpoints since 70 hours. When it finally finishes, I'll be able to apply
the recent updates on that machine and reboot it.It's shown 0% progress
since yesterday, still scanning mostly *.new files and the property files
associated with them.

Robert Miles

> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> "David_2010" <David_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
>> message newsavid_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

[snip]

> I'm running the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner on the same 64-bit
> machine as the task that's now reached 262 hours, with no usable
> checkpoints since 70 hours. When it finally finishes, I'll be able to
> apply
> the recent updates on that machine and reboot it.It's shown 0% progress
> since yesterday, still scanning mostly *.new files and the property files
> associated with them.
>
> Robert Miles

After running 24 hours a day for a few days, the Windows Live OneCare
safety scanner on the same 64-bit machine as the long-running task has
reached 1% of the files scan. Shouldn't it be relabelled as possibly taking
a few months to complete?

The long-running task has now taken 285 hours; I've seen reports that
for similar tasks other people ran, it often took over 300 CPU hours.

Robert Miles

> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>> "David_2010" <David_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
>>> message newsavid_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> [snip]
>>
>> I'm running the Windows Live OneCare safety scanner on the same 64-bit
>> machine as the task that's now reached 262 hours, with no usable
>> checkpoints since 70 hours. When it finally finishes, I'll be able to
>> apply
>> the recent updates on that machine and reboot it.It's shown 0% progress
>> since yesterday, still scanning mostly *.new files and the property files
>> associated with them.
>>
>> Robert Miles

> After running 24 hours a day for a few days, the Windows Live OneCare
> safety scanner on the same 64-bit machine as the long-running task has
> reached 1% of the files scan. Shouldn't it be relabelled as possibly
> taking
> a few months to complete?
>
> The long-running task has now taken 285 hours; I've seen reports that
> for similar tasks other people ran, it often took over 300 CPU hours.
>
> Robert Miles

The log-running task finally finished after about 320 hours.

The Windows Live OneCare safety scanner reached 2%of the scan after
another two days; no time to let it finish at that rate.

Now have that machine disconnected from the internet, with all selectable
features of the antivirus program turned off.

Trying another new,full backup now. Could the change backup settings
button and the button to turn off automatic backup be changed so that
starting a new, full backup does not automatically turn on automatic
backup, since the version with automatic backup turned on seems to
have a limit of two DVD+RWs it can initialize, sometimes even less?

Robert Miles

Re: Problems with Vista backup program
<robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>> "David_2010" <David_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
>>> message newsavid_2010.4baxwh@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> [snip]

The last backup attempt failed with this error message:

The backup did not complete successfully.

The requested resource is in use. (0x800700AA)

Backup time: 5/27/2010 3:53 PM
Backup location: BD-ROM Drive (E

It never made any attempt to format the DVD+RW I gave it, or as
far as I can tell access it at all.

Could this error message be revised so that it will say what resource
is in use, by what, and why a reboot is not sufficient to free this
resource?

Robert Miles

> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
>>> <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message

>> [snip]
>>

> The last backup attempt failed with this error message:
>

> The backup did not complete successfully.
>
> The requested resource is in use. (0x800700AA)
>
> Backup time: 5/27/2010 3:53 PM
> Backup location: BD-ROM Drive (E
>

> It never made any attempt to format the DVD+RW I gave it, or as
> far as I can tell access it at all.
>
> Could this error message be revised so that it will say what resource
> is in use, by what, and why a reboot is not sufficient to free this
> resource?
>
> Robert Miles

My guess is that something has seized control of the DVD drive
and will not turn it loose even during a reboot. How can I check
just what, so I might be able to kill that process?

There's nothing running that I would expect to need a DVD drive.

Robert Miles

David_2010's Avatar

David_2010 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Problems with Vista backup program
Hello,

Regarding the problem you are having with the backup feature, I can only suggest to contact the software provider.

Now, if you don’t want to bother with a dual boot system (Vista/7) and others, you could use a 3rd party software that will do the job.
In your case, you have Norton Internet Security, therefore you could buy an upgrade to Norton 360 which has backup features, such even online backup. (but also on external HDD and other kind of optical media…)

I hope this can help.
__________________

"David_2010" <David_2010.4bnv8c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message newsavid_2010.4bnv8c@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> Hello,
>
> Regarding the problem you are having with the backup feature, I can
> only suggest to contact the software provider.
>
> Now, if you don't want to bother with a dual boot system (Vista/7) and
> others, you could use a 3rd party software that will do the job.
> In your case, you have Norton Internet Security, therefore you could
> buy an upgrade to Norton 360 which has backup features, such even online
> backup. (but also on external HDD and other kind of optical media.)
>
> I hope this can help.
>

> --
> David_2010
>
> David
> Norton Support
> For more information, please visit the
> Norton Support website http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/index.jsp
> or the
> Norton Community http://community.norton.com/

I thought using this newsgroup was already contacting the software provider
(Microsoft).

The best I've read about Norton versions, Norton 360 is an older version
which is not fully compatible with the Windows Mail portion of Vista, and
I haven't found sufficient information about Windows Live Mail yet to be
in any hurry to switch to it.

Robert Miles