How do I save one file as more than one file?

elcastellano

How do I save one file as more than one file?

I'm trying to do just what I said in the title. But for some reason, my
computer won't let me. I have a base empty file that I created to
replace files I no longer need. Actually, I do that with all file
types. I don't want a bunch of files that take up a whole bunch of
space on my disk. And I also don't want a bunch of files taking up room
after I delete them. Basically I want save one file as several hundred
files but I don't want to have to do them one at a time as that would
take too much time. I want to replace them all at once so I can use
them again, seeing as I do a lot of work on my computer. So does anyone
know how I can do this. Google’s a piece of crap, because I can't find
the answer there.

--
elcastellano
LVTravel

Re: How do I save one file as more than one file?

"elcastellano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to do just what I said in the title. But for some reason, my
> computer won't let me. I have a base empty file that I created to
> replace files I no longer need. Actually, I do that with all file
> types. I don't want a bunch of files that take up a whole bunch of
> space on my disk. And I also don't want a bunch of files taking up room
> after I delete them. Basically I want save one file as several hundred
> files but I don't want to have to do them one at a time as that would
> take too much time. I want to replace them all at once so I can use
> them again, seeing as I do a lot of work on my computer. So does anyone
> know how I can do this. Google's a piece of crap, because I can't find
> the answer there.
>

> --
> elcastellano

When you delete a file it doesn't take up any "room" on a hard drive anymore
if it is not placed in the recycle bin. While the file's data isn't
physically removed from the drive the space that it occupies is marked as
available. The recovery information is stored in the recycle bin and the
recycle bin can be shrunk down to a very small portion, as little as 1% of
the hard drive, or turned off totally so that any file deleted will have
it's space available instantly.

Hank Arnold

Re: How do I save one file as more than one file?
Doesn't make any sense. You aren't improving anything by doing his vs.
deleting the files. In fact, you are actually using up *MORE* space.
This "empty file has to be taking up a couple of bytes. Multiply that by
hundreds and you are talking about real space.

While you are correct in that deleting a file doesn't delete the data
off the hard drive, it does update the hard drive directory to indicate
that the space is available. From the OS point of view, the space is empty.

Just delete the files. Defrag if you want to (it doesn't increase the
free space, though)...

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services
http://it.toolbox.com/blogs/personal-pc-assistant/

On 4/21/2010 9:24 PM, elcastellano wrote:
> I'm trying to do just what I said in the title. But for some reason, my
> computer won't let me. I have a base empty file that I created to
> replace files I no longer need. Actually, I do that with all file
> types. I don't want a bunch of files that take up a whole bunch of
> space on my disk. And I also don't want a bunch of files taking up room
> after I delete them. Basically I want save one file as several hundred
> files but I don't want to have to do them one at a time as that would
> take too much time. I want to replace them all at once so I can use
> them again, seeing as I do a lot of work on my computer. So does anyone
> know how I can do this. Google’s a piece of crap, because I can't find
> the answer there.

Dave

Re: How do I save one file as more than one file?
That makes absolutely no sense.
If you wish to save space, do the opposite. You can consolidate several
files into one archive.
Select the files in Windows Explorer, right click on them, select Send
To.. - Compressed (zipped) folder.

--
Dave N.
MS-MVP (Mail)

"elcastellano" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> I'm trying to do just what I said in the title. But for some reason, my
> computer won't let me. I have a base empty file that I created to
> replace files I no longer need. Actually, I do that with all file
> types. I don't want a bunch of files that take up a whole bunch of
> space on my disk. And I also don't want a bunch of files taking up room
> after I delete them. Basically I want save one file as several hundred
> files but I don't want to have to do them one at a time as that would
> take too much time. I want to replace them all at once so I can use
> them again, seeing as I do a lot of work on my computer. So does anyone
> know how I can do this. Google's a piece of crap, because I can't find
> the answer there.
>

> --
> elcastellano

elcastellano

Re: How do I save one file as more than one file?

Thank you all. I guess I'll just delete them or get rid of the old info
until I find a new use for them. Thanks again, have a good day.

--
elcastellano