Can't search for "exact phrase" with Desktop Search 4.0

Brad

Can't search for "exact phrase" with Desktop Search 4.0
I've found that I can't search for a string inside a file using quotes
and get an accurate result. The search will find all words, even
though MS documentation indicates that searching in quotes will give
exact phrase.
anyone find this and fix it?
Retroman

Re: Can't search for "exact phrase" with Desktop Search 4.0
On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:37:37 -0700, Brad <Brad@work.com> wrote:

>I've found that I can't search for a string inside a file using quotes
>and get an accurate result. The search will find all words, even
>though MS documentation indicates that searching in quotes will give
>exact phrase.
>anyone find this and fix it?

Hello Brad,

Exact phrase searches work fine for me. What are are your settings in the
Search tab of the Folder Options dialog? I have these two options
disabled: "find partial matches" and "use natural language searching".

Doug M. in NJ
Brad

Re: Can't search for "exact phrase" with Desktop Search 4.0
Doug, I also have those two settings disabled.

This is the test I'm doing
Create three .txt files, called test1, test2 and test3

In each, type one of the following phrases

you are here
here you are
are you here

Now search that directory for "are you here" inside files

I return all three files.

Always search fle names and contents (might be slow) = Enabled
Include subfolders when typing in the search box = Enabled

Everything else is unchecked.

I did just find an option in the Indexing box to index properties and
contents, but I have to rebuild index. I'll retest

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 08:42:29 -0700, Brad <Brad@work.com> wrote:

>Doug, I also have those two settings disabled.
>
>This is the test I'm doing
> Create three .txt files, called test1, test2 and test3
>
>In each, type one of the following phrases
>
>you are here
>here you are
>are you here
>
>Now search that directory for "are you here" inside files
>
>I return all three files.
>
>Always search fle names and contents (might be slow) = Enabled
>Include subfolders when typing in the search box = Enabled
>
>Everything else is unchecked.
>
>I did just find an option in the Indexing box to index properties and
>contents, but I have to rebuild index. I'll retest

Brad, the type of query you describe works as it should here. I did a
similar test before I replied to your first post, just to confirm my
recollection. I took a short phrase that I knew existed in many files but
I changed the word order. The twisted phrase was not found.
This was a search of files indexed for content.

Keep in mind that when you create files for testing, it may be awhile
before the indexer gets to them. I tested with old files that I knew had
been indexed, and I did my test from Windows Explorer.

Doug M. in NJ

>On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 09:22:25 -0400, Retroman <non@invalid.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 14:37:37 -0700, Brad <Brad@work.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I've found that I can't search for a string inside a file using quotes
>>>and get an accurate result. The search will find all words, even
>>>though MS documentation indicates that searching in quotes will give
>>>exact phrase.
>>>anyone find this and fix it?

>>Hello Brad,
>>
>>Exact phrase searches work fine for me. What are are your settings in the
>>Search tab of the Folder Options dialog? I have these two options
>>disabled: "find partial matches" and "use natural language searching".
>>
>>Doug M. in NJ

Brad

Re: Can't search for "exact phrase" with Desktop Search 4.0
Doug, interesting behaviour. I used the add-in to search LAN drives,
and have set my home drive as an indexed location. I left it, and let
it re-index.
Now, I initiate a search from Windows Explorer, and I return all three
test files containing the words
However, when I search from the Start menu, I immediately return the
correct file.
So, it appears to me that in my environment, the Explorer search box
is using seach companion, and the Start search is using WDS.
Someone in the office indicated that they read about this behaviour in
some Windows Secrets book.
So your results only work for me from Start, not Explorer.

Now if only I could move the index file to a network share...

On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 13:47:16 -0700, Brad <Brad@work.com> wrote:

>Doug, interesting behaviour. I used the add-in to search LAN drives,
>and have set my home drive as an indexed location. I left it, and let
>it re-index.
>Now, I initiate a search from Windows Explorer, and I return all three
>test files containing the words
>However, when I search from the Start menu, I immediately return the
>correct file.
>So, it appears to me that in my environment, the Explorer search box
>is using seach companion, and the Start search is using WDS.
>Someone in the office indicated that they read about this behaviour in
>some Windows Secrets book.
>So your results only work for me from Start, not Explorer.
>
>Now if only I could move the index file to a network share...

Brad,
Although I understand that it is possible to use search companion on
Vista, you (or someone) had to hack the registry to do it. It is not
available otherwise. Unfortunately, I can't advise you on how to remove
it, although it certainly sounds like you should.

As for using WDS to search LAN drives, that is a subject that I have not
looked into at all. Good luck!

Doug M. in NJ