Windows 7 My user folder is invisible

Kevryl

Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
Hello all,

Somewhere there HAS to be a Windows 7 discussion group, but it doesn't seem
to be listed anywhere in the Microsoft discussion groups tree. Someone in
here may be able to help or at least point me to a Win 7 discussion group.

I have just bought 2 identical machines with Win 7 installed. My user
account is there on both (libraries documents right click properties)
immediately under c:\users, but when I go to c: drive, I find only public and
default, and when invited to "search in sub-folders" an unintelligibnle
mish-mash of files and folders appear, and still my own user folder is not
visible (even after playing with the alphabetical selection down arrow). I
have gone into folder options/view and selected "show hidden folders, files
and drives" and even unticked "hide unprotected operating system files". My
user account still wont appear so I can get into it and copy my "outlook.pst"
file from the old machine into its rightful place on the new ones.

If anyone can help me with this issue, and how to get from this mish-mash of
flattened out fiolders and files into a real directory structure I'd be most
appreciative!
Jeffrey Kaplan

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management, Kevryl
said:

> I have just bought 2 identical machines with Win 7 installed. My user
> account is there on both (libraries documents right click properties)
> immediately under c:\users, but when I go to c: drive, I find only public and
> default, and when invited to "search in sub-folders" an unintelligibnle
> mish-mash of files and folders appear, and still my own user folder is not
> visible (even after playing with the alphabetical selection down arrow). I
> have gone into folder options/view and selected "show hidden folders, files
> and drives" and even unticked "hide unprotected operating system files". My
> user account still wont appear so I can get into it and copy my "outlook.pst"
> file from the old machine into its rightful place on the new ones.
>
> If anyone can help me with this issue, and how to get from this mish-mash of
> flattened out fiolders and files into a real directory structure I'd be most
> appreciative!

Do you see your User listed separately as a top-level item in Windows
Explorer? It should be between Libraries and Computer.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #92.
If I ever talk to the hero on the phone, I will not taunt him. Instead
I will say this his dogged perseverance has given me new insight on
the futility of my evil ways and that if he leaves me alone for a few
months of quiet contemplation I will likely return to the path of
righteousness. (Heroes are incredibly gullible in this regard.)
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:05:01 -0700, Kevryl
<Kevryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Somewhere there HAS to be a Windows 7 discussion group, but it doesn't seem
> to be listed anywhere in the Microsoft discussion groups tree. Someone in
> here may be able to help or at least point me to a Win 7 discussion group.

Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that there will be any Microsoft
Windows 7 newsgroups. Apparently Microsoft has decided that web-based
forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their efforts
there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their decision,
not mine. Go to
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ult.aspx?tab=2

However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
alt.windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
here's one free news server that does: aioe.org

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Kevryl

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
No, there are no users listed there, thanks Jeff.

"Jeffrey Kaplan" wrote:

> Previously on microsoft.public.windows.vista.file_management, Kevryl
> said:
>
> > I have just bought 2 identical machines with Win 7 installed. My user
> > account is there on both (libraries documents right click properties)
> > immediately under c:\users, but when I go to c: drive, I find only public and
> > default, and when invited to "search in sub-folders" an unintelligibnle
> > mish-mash of files and folders appear, and still my own user folder is not
> > visible (even after playing with the alphabetical selection down arrow). I
> > have gone into folder options/view and selected "show hidden folders, files
> > and drives" and even unticked "hide unprotected operating system files". My
> > user account still wont appear so I can get into it and copy my "outlook.pst"
> > file from the old machine into its rightful place on the new ones.
> >
> > If anyone can help me with this issue, and how to get from this mish-mash of
> > flattened out fiolders and files into a real directory structure I'd be most
> > appreciative!

> Do you see your User listed separately as a top-level item in Windows
> Explorer? It should be between Libraries and Computer.
>
> --
> Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
> Double ROT13 encoded for your protection
>
> Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #92.
> If I ever talk to the hero on the phone, I will not taunt him. Instead
> I will say this his dogged perseverance has given me new insight on
> the futility of my evil ways and that if he leaves me alone for a few
> months of quiet contemplation I will likely return to the path of
> righteousness. (Heroes are incredibly gullible in this regard.)
> .

Kevryl

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
Thank you Ken. Maybe it gives them better ability to moderate the oposts?

said:

> No, there are no users listed there, thanks Jeff.

This may sound like a stupid question, but...

When you boot your computer, what username do you use to log onto the
computer?

Click on Start, type "user" into the search box, and select "user
accounts" from the list. What user account name is shown? Click on
"Manage another account" and what user accounts are listed?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org
Double ROT13 encoded for your protection

Tips for Evil Geniuses: 14. If I am working on an optical mind
control device, I will remove all extraneous mirrors from the lab and
wear polarized contact lenses at all times.
Ken Blake, MVP

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 21:36:01 -0700, Kevryl
<Kevryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> Thank you Ken.

You're welcome.

> Maybe it gives them better ability to moderate the oposts?

I think that's at least in part their view. However it wasn't the only
solution to that problem, nor even the best one, as I'm concerned.

> "Ken Blake, MVP" wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 20 Mar 2010 22:05:01 -0700, Kevryl
> > <Kevryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > Somewhere there HAS to be a Windows 7 discussion group, but it doesn't seem
> > > to be listed anywhere in the Microsoft discussion groups tree. Someone in
> > > here may be able to help or at least point me to a Win 7 discussion group.

> > Unfortunately it's highly unlikely that there will be any Microsoft
> > Windows 7 newsgroups. Apparently Microsoft has decided that web-based
> > forums are better than newsgroups and they are putting their efforts
> > there. I'm personally sorry that's the case, but it's their decision,
> > not mine. Go to
> > http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...ult.aspx?tab=2
> >
> > However there is at least one non-Microsoft Windows 7 newsgroup:
> > alt.windows7.general. Not all servers carry it (at least not yet), but
> > here's one free news server that does: aioe.org
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake, Microsoft MVP (Windows Desktop Experience) since 2003
> > Please Reply to the Newsgroup
> > .

Please Reply to the Newsgroup
R. C. White

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
Hi, Kevryl.

As Ken explained, MS has decided that there will be NO Win7 newsgroups - and
I'm as disappointed as Ken about this. :>(

As to your C:\Users\Kevryl folder tree...

> immediately under c:\users, but when I go to c: drive, I find only public
> and
> default,

Is this in Windows Explorer? What IS your username? Might it possibly
include "illegal" characters? It should not, of course, because Windows
should not let you create such a username in the first place, but strange
things happen sometimes.

In an elevated Command Prompt window, you should be able to use the Dir
command, held over from MS-DOS days when "folders" were Directories. (As
with any command here, just type Dir /? to see a mini-Help file listing the
switches and parameters available with this command.) Start with your
username:
Dir C:\kevryl /s/a

The /s and /a switches search all subfolders and list all files, even those
with Hidden, System or other attributes. If a file or folder named "kevryl"
is anywhere in Drive C: it should show up and you can read the full
pathname. (You could also search for "outlook.pst", of course.)

If that doesn't work, post back with details about what you did - step by
step - and what result you saw - verbatim; please don't paraphrase any error
message that might appear. Several other techniques are available to
fine-tune Dir searches.

I'm assuming of course that you are an Administrator and logged in as such.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Kevryl" <Kevryl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> Somewhere there HAS to be a Windows 7 discussion group, but it doesn't
> seem
> to be listed anywhere in the Microsoft discussion groups tree. Someone in
> here may be able to help or at least point me to a Win 7 discussion group.
>
> I have just bought 2 identical machines with Win 7 installed. My user
> account is there on both (libraries documents right click properties)
> immediately under c:\users, but when I go to c: drive, I find only public
> and
> default, and when invited to "search in sub-folders" an unintelligibnle
> mish-mash of files and folders appear, and still my own user folder is not
> visible (even after playing with the alphabetical selection down arrow). I
> have gone into folder options/view and selected "show hidden folders,
> files
> and drives" and even unticked "hide unprotected operating system files".
> My
> user account still wont appear so I can get into it and copy my
> "outlook.pst"
> file from the old machine into its rightful place on the new ones.
>
> If anyone can help me with this issue, and how to get from this mish-mash
> of
> flattened out fiolders and files into a real directory structure I'd be
> most
> appreciative!

Kevryl

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
Thanks, R.C. for the useful info. Yes, I well remember when "folders" were
"directories", and when you could read the whole "config.sys" file while
between taking sips of coffee! oh, and do you remember (fondly) those real,
hard-copy manuals, keyboard templates and quick-reference flip-cards that
came with software like Lotus 1-2-3 and Enable? And I wonder why mass-file
handling and filtering capabilities of programmes like Borland's X-tree were
never incorporated by Microsoft into their limited "Explorer" windows? Once
the extended filenames came into being it seemed to me that trying to find
anything, guessing characters that would be substututed and appended after
the first 6 (was it?) made using DOS directory commnds rather impractical.
However I'll keep your info as a reference and look back into it. Anyway,
back to the present:

I stumbled on a "fix" for the problem of finding my user folder (though I
can't find how I did it now,. In the User tree where "default" was listed, I
think I right-clicked the default folder name. Whatever I did there was the
option to "move down one position" (or very similar wording). I did that and
all the folders, including my own magically appeared! Go figure! As I'm
looking for where I found that (its not under the right-click menu any
longer) the "search sub-directories" that I kept getting when my folder was
invisible is also not to be found. The nuances of Windows 7 are quite
puzzling to me at this early stage. :-|

Cheers, Kevryl.

"R. C. White" wrote:

> [...]

> > and
> > default, and when invited to "search in sub-folders" an unintelligibnle
> > mish-mash of files and folders appear, and still my own user folder is not
> > visible (even after playing with the alphabetical selection down arrow). I
> > have gone into folder options/view and selected "show hidden folders,
> > files
> > and drives" and even unticked "hide unprotected operating system files".
> > My
> > user account still wont appear so I can get into it and copy my
> > "outlook.pst"
> > file from the old machine into its rightful place on the new ones.
> >
> > If anyone can help me with this issue, and how to get from this mish-mash
> > of
> > flattened out fiolders and files into a real directory structure I'd be

R. C. White

Re: Windows 7 My user folder is invisible
Hi, Kevryl.

Ah, memories! Some fun, some not. ;^}

Even in Win7, I often find that Dir /s in an elevated "DOS" window is still
much faster and more effective than pressing Start and typing in what I'm
looking for - but not always. Often, Search is so fast it's amazing; it
sometimes finds what I want before I can finish typing the search word.

But some things the GUI simply can't do. For example, the Dir /x command
will reveal the 8.3 Short File Name for any Long File Name. VERY handy for
when the LFN includes a space or other illegal character. Or when the LFN
is just too long to qualify as an SFN. Dir /x shows the SFNs in a column
before the LFNs, but only for each LFN that does not also qualify as an SFN.

> I stumbled on a "fix" for the problem of finding my user folder (though I
> can't find how I did it now,.

I don't know how you did it either, but don't argue with success. ;<)

Like each other step up the learning curve, it will take a few days to get
comfy with Win7; after that, only a few users choose to go back to their
earlier system. I recall how angry and irritated my then-8-year-old son was
in 1978 when TRS-80's Level II BASIC replaced the simple, tiny 4 KB Level I
BASIC. ("What's a Syntax Error? Why can't it just say 'WHAT?' like it did
before?")

RC