how does copy files from a flash drive?

Location: Florida
kirkwebsites is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
how does copy files from a flash drive?
I have a desktop w/2000 and write HTML into Notepad to create web pages.
I frequently load them into folders and copy (send to) them onto floppy's or zip drive and would like to load them onto a flash drive instead and transfer the flash drive to my laptop w/Vista premium. I bought the book "Vista for dummies" and have read it over and over but I haven't a clue how to copy the files over. Why have they made this so hard to understand? I guess I need the "Vista for the dumbest". Please, someone answer this.
R. C. White

Re: how does copy files from a flash drive?
Hi, kirkwebsites.

Copy to/from a flash drive just the same way as to/from your hard drive.

The only difference is inserting the drive and having the computer recognize
that you've done that. And learning which drive letter to use for that
drive.

Simply insert the flash drive into a USB port on your computer. Then open
Windows Explorer and see if you have a new drive that wasn't there before,
probably with a name like "Removable Disk". Use that drive just like you
would any other.

When you are ready to remove the flash drive, you may need to click "Safely
remove..." (in the Notification Area near the clock in the lower right
corner - what some of us old-timers still call the SysTray or System Tray)
to keep from losing data that is still in transit to that drive. But write
operations usually are over in seconds anyhow, so risk of such loss is
minimal.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"kirkwebsites" <kirkwebsites.45vzw2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:kirkwebsites.45vzw2@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> I have a desktop w/2000 and write HTML into Notepad to create web
> pages.
> I frequently load them into folders and copy (send to) them onto
> floppy's or zip drive and would like to load them onto a flash drive
> instead and transfer the flash drive to my laptop w/Vista premium. I
> bought the book "Vista for dummies" and have read it over and over but I
> haven't a clue how to copy the files over. Why have they made this so
> hard to understand? I guess I need the "Vista for the dumbest". Please,
> someone answer this.
>

> --
> kirkwebsites

Location: Florida
kirkwebsites is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: how does copy files from a flash drive?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkwebsites View Post
I have a desktop w/2000 and write HTML into Notepad to create web pages.
I frequently load them into folders and copy (send to) them onto floppy's or zip drive and would like to load them onto a flash drive instead and transfer the flash drive to my laptop w/Vista premium. I bought the book "Vista for dummies" and have read it over and over but I haven't a clue how to copy the files over. Why have they made this so hard to understand? I guess I need the "Vista for the dumbest". Please, someone answer this.
Thanks a bunch
Michael Walraven

Re: how does copy files from a flash drive?
Insert flash drive into computer.
open folder that has the files you want to transfer.
Right click and drag the file from the folder to the icon of the flash
drive. Select 'copy' (rather than move).

What part is not working for you?

Michael

"kirkwebsites" <kirkwebsites.45x2s6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
message news:kirkwebsites.45x2s6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...

> kirkwebsites;1645785 Wrote:
>> I have a desktop w/2000 and write HTML into Notepad to create web
>> pages.
>> I frequently load them into folders and copy (send to) them onto
>> floppy's or zip drive and would like to load them onto a flash drive
>> instead and transfer the flash drive to my laptop w/Vista premium. I
>> bought the book "Vista for dummies" and have read it over and over but I
>> haven't a clue how to copy the files over. Why have they made this so
>> hard to understand? I guess I need the "Vista for the dumbest". Please,
>> someone answer this.

> Thanks a bunch
>

> --
> kirkwebsites

Tom Ponta

Re: how does copy files from a flash drive?
He may not see a "Send To" option in Explorer for the flash drive on his
R-Click menu. Mine lists all removeable drives, including the ones assigned
to a flash drive, which one depending on the port it's inserted into. I
understand that "Send To" options can vary from system to system. The
methods mentioned here should bypass that problem. This article:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-send-to-menu/
explains how to add options to the "Send To" function.

Buddha

The options mentioned here should bypass that problem
"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> Insert flash drive into computer.
> open folder that has the files you want to transfer.
> Right click and drag the file from the folder to the icon of the flash
> drive. Select 'copy' (rather than move).
>
> What part is not working for you?
>
> Michael
>

> "kirkwebsites" <kirkwebsites.45x2s6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in
> message news:kirkwebsites.45x2s6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com...
>>
>> kirkwebsites;1645785 Wrote:
>>> I have a desktop w/2000 and write HTML into Notepad to create web
>>> pages.
>>> I frequently load them into folders and copy (send to) them onto
>>> floppy's or zip drive and would like to load them onto a flash drive
>>> instead and transfer the flash drive to my laptop w/Vista premium. I
>>> bought the book "Vista for dummies" and have read it over and over but I
>>> haven't a clue how to copy the files over. Why have they made this so
>>> hard to understand? I guess I need the "Vista for the dumbest". Please,
>>> someone answer this.

>> Thanks a bunch
>>

>> --
>> kirkwebsites

BudV

Re: how does copy files from a flash drive?
Regarding "Select 'copy' (rather than move)": Although this precaution may
make you more comfortable (and it won't hurt), it's not necessary. To the
best of my knowledge, Windows will never delete the source when you're
moving from one device to a different device.