Folder icons change when moved to another computer

MW

Folder icons change when moved to another computer
I've changed the folder icon of several folders. When I move them onto a
data CD they remain as I changed them. But when I open the CD on another
computer they revert to the old yellow default folder. How do I get them to
keep the changes?

On another forum I was told to place that icon file into that particular
folder (no problem) and to create a "desktop.ini file" and make it a system
file (problem). I'm not a programmer. No one responds with exactly how that
is done.

Can anyone help with basic - "beginner" steps?

Donald Lessau

Re: Folder icons change when moved to another computer
"MW" <changeable1@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I've changed the folder icon of several folders. When I move them onto a
> data CD they remain as I changed them. But when I open the CD on another
> computer they revert to the old yellow default folder. How do I get them
> keep the changes?
>
> On another forum I was told to place that icon file into that particular
> folder (no problem) and to create a "desktop.ini file" and make it a
> system
> file (problem). I'm not a programmer. No one responds with exactly how
> that
> is done.
>
> Can anyone help with basic - "beginner" steps?

Assuming your folder icon is called "Koeln.ico":
- place the icon inside the folder
- create a file "desktop.ini" in the folder
- open it in Notepad and enter these three lines:
[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=Koeln.ico
IconIndex=0
- save the file and close Notepad
- now set the folder to read-only (using the properties dialog of the
folder)
- done

note: you can make "desktop.ini" a system file and a hidden file, but it is
not necessary to make the folder icon work.

don

MW

Re: Folder icons change when moved to another computer
Nope
Did exactly as you said.
I put the folder, just created as per your directions, onto a data cd,
change the yellow folder (via properties - customize - change icon) to the
one I just placed in the folder on the cd. Close all. Move the cd to my
laptop, open and there's the yellow folder again, not the new icon.

"Donald Lessau" <don@oflex.com> wrote in message
> "MW" <changeable1@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> I've changed the folder icon of several folders. When I move them onto a
>> data CD they remain as I changed them. But when I open the CD on another
>> computer they revert to the old yellow default folder. How do I get them
>> keep the changes?
>>
>> On another forum I was told to place that icon file into that particular
>> folder (no problem) and to create a "desktop.ini file" and make it a
>> system
>> file (problem). I'm not a programmer. No one responds with exactly how
>> that
>> is done.
>>
>> Can anyone help with basic - "beginner" steps?

> Assuming your folder icon is called "Koeln.ico":
> - place the icon inside the folder
> - create a file "desktop.ini" in the folder
> - open it in Notepad and enter these three lines:
> [.ShellClassInfo]
> IconFile=Koeln.ico
> IconIndex=0
> - save the file and close Notepad
> - now set the folder to read-only (using the properties dialog of the
> folder)
> - done
>
> note: you can make "desktop.ini" a system file and a hidden file, but it
> is not necessary to make the folder icon work.
>
> don

Donald Lessau

Re: Folder icons change when moved to another computer
"(via properties - customize - change icon)"? That was not part of my
directions...

don

> Nope
> Did exactly as you said.
> I put the folder, just created as per your directions, onto a data cd,
> change the yellow folder (via properties - customize - change icon) to the
> one I just placed in the folder on the cd. Close all. Move the cd to my
> laptop, open and there's the yellow folder again, not the new icon.
>
> "Donald Lessau" <don@oflex.com> wrote in message
>> "MW" <changeable1@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> I've changed the folder icon of several folders. When I move them onto a
>>> data CD they remain as I changed them. But when I open the CD on another
>>> computer they revert to the old yellow default folder. How do I get them
>>> keep the changes?
>>>
>>> On another forum I was told to place that icon file into that particular
>>> folder (no problem) and to create a "desktop.ini file" and make it a
>>> system
>>> file (problem). I'm not a programmer. No one responds with exactly how
>>> that
>>> is done.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help with basic - "beginner" steps?

>> Assuming your folder icon is called "Koeln.ico":
>> - place the icon inside the folder
>> - create a file "desktop.ini" in the folder
>> - open it in Notepad and enter these three lines:
>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>> IconFile=Koeln.ico
>> IconIndex=0
>> - save the file and close Notepad
>> - now set the folder to read-only (using the properties dialog of the
>> folder)
>> - done
>>
>> note: you can make "desktop.ini" a system file and a hidden file, but it
>> is not necessary to make the folder icon work.
>>
>> don

MW

Re: Folder icons change when moved to another computer
(via properties - customize - change icon) That was not part of my
> directions...

No, but how else to I change the folder to the icon I want to begin with? I
placed the icon in the folder, made the desktop.ini file in the folder. Then
what? It's still a yellow folder until I actually change it. What am I
missing here?

> "(via properties - customize - change icon)"? That was not part of my
> directions...
>
> don
>

> "MW" <changeable1@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> Nope
>> Did exactly as you said.
>> I put the folder, just created as per your directions, onto a data cd,
>> change the yellow folder (via properties - customize - change icon) to
>> the
>> one I just placed in the folder on the cd. Close all. Move the cd to my
>> laptop, open and there's the yellow folder again, not the new icon.
>>
>> "Donald Lessau" <don@oflex.com> wrote in message
>>> "MW" <changeable1@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

>>> Assuming your folder icon is called "Koeln.ico":
>>> - place the icon inside the folder
>>> - create a file "desktop.ini" in the folder
>>> - open it in Notepad and enter these three lines:
>>> [.ShellClassInfo]
>>> IconFile=Koeln.ico
>>> IconIndex=0
>>> - save the file and close Notepad
>>> - now set the folder to read-only (using the properties dialog of the
>>> folder)
>>> - done
>>>
>>> note: you can make "desktop.ini" a system file and a hidden file, but it
>>> is not necessary to make the folder icon work.
>>>
>>> don

Donald Lessau

Re: Folder icons change when moved to another computer
If you followed my directions strictly and completely and see no icon then I
don't know. I tried it successfully on XP -- could Vista be any different
here?

> (via properties - customize - change icon) That was not part of my
>> directions...

> No, but how else to I change the folder to the icon I want to begin with?
> I placed the icon in the folder, made the desktop.ini file in the folder.
> Then what? It's still a yellow folder until I actually change it. What am
> I missing here?
>

> "Donald Lessau" <don@oflex.com> wrote in message
>> "(via properties - customize - change icon)"? That was not part of my
>> directions...
>>
>> don
>>

>> "MW" <changeable1@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Nope
>>> Did exactly as you said.
>>> I put the folder, just created as per your directions, onto a data cd,
>>> change the yellow folder (via properties - customize - change icon) to
>>> the
>>> one I just placed in the folder on the cd. Close all. Move the cd to my
>>> laptop, open and there's the yellow folder again, not the new icon.

MW

Re: Folder icons change when moved to another computer
Must be Vista. Have it on both laptop & desktop. I hate Vista!
Never had so many problems with XP.

> If you followed my directions strictly and completely and see no icon then
> I don't know. I tried it successfully on XP -- could Vista be any
> different here?
>
> "MW" <changeable1@verizon.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>> (via properties - customize - change icon) That was not part of my
>>> directions...

>> No, but how else to I change the folder to the icon I want to begin with?
>> I placed the icon in the folder, made the desktop.ini file in the folder.
>> Then what? It's still a yellow folder until I actually change it. What am
>> I missing here?
>>

>> "Donald Lessau" <don@oflex.com> wrote in message
>>> "(via properties - customize - change icon)"? That was not part of my
>>> directions...
>>>
>>> don

Re: Folder icons change when moved to another computer
Another possibility to try: First follow, the directions exactly. Then
reboot Vista and see if the change finally shows up.