Can' Erase DVD

JamesJ

Can' Erase DVD
Vista Basic 32bit sp2.

I have a DVD/CD rewritable. I've created a slide show using different jpegs on 2 DVDs.
The only difference is one dvd is a Sony the other is a Memorex. Both slideshows were
created with the same software. But, on the Sony I'm unable to erase or format the disk.
Vista tells me the Sony is Write Protected. In fact the right click option to 'Erase Disc' is missing.
The other Disk I have no problem erasing.

Anyway to get this dvd to erase?

James
Bruce Chambers

Re: Can' Erase DVD
JamesJ wrote:
> Vista Basic 32bit sp2.
>
> I have a DVD/CD rewritable. I've created a slide show using different jpegs on 2 DVDs.
> The only difference is one dvd is a Sony the other is a Memorex. Both slideshows were
> created with the same software. But, on the Sony I'm unable to erase or format the disk.
> Vista tells me the Sony is Write Protected. In fact the right click option to 'Erase Disc' is missing.
> The other Disk I have no problem erasing.
>
> Anyway to get this dvd to erase?
>
> James

Not now. At the time the disk was originally created, the user
apparently chose to make it "Read Only."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
JamesJ

Re: Can' Erase DVD
You mean when I formatted it??

James
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message news:ewQ8RphkKHA.4500@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
JamesJ wrote:
> Vista Basic 32bit sp2.
>
> I have a DVD/CD rewritable. I've created a slide show using different jpegs on 2 DVDs.
> The only difference is one dvd is a Sony the other is a Memorex. Both slideshows were
> created with the same software. But, on the Sony I'm unable to erase or format the disk.
> Vista tells me the Sony is Write Protected. In fact the right click option to 'Erase Disc' is missing.
> The other Disk I have no problem erasing.
>
> Anyway to get this dvd to erase?
>
> James

Not now. At the time the disk was originally created, the user
apparently chose to make it "Read Only."

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Peter Foldes

Re: Can' Erase DVD
James

You have a DVD/CD rewritable player. That is fine. But are both disks in question
marked as Rewritable. Is the Sony disk marked as RW as is the Memorex disk

--
Peter

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
Vista Basic 32bit sp2.

I have a DVD/CD rewritable. I've created a slide show using different jpegs on 2
DVDs.
The only difference is one dvd is a Sony the other is a Memorex. Both slideshows
were
created with the same software. But, on the Sony I'm unable to erase or format the
disk.
Vista tells me the Sony is Write Protected. In fact the right click option to 'Erase
Disc' is missing.
The other Disk I have no problem erasing.

Anyway to get this dvd to erase?

James

JamesJ

Re: Can' Erase DVD
One is marked R and the other RW.
What confused me is that they both have the RW symbol on the discs.
So what you're saying is the ones marked with just an R can be burned to
only once? After that you can't erase or format them again?

James
"Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23dv1TSikKHA.1648@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
[...]

Exactly. With the R you can burn only once and you are not able to erase and burn
again or add. With the RW you can burn and erase and add.