Folder recovery problems

Robert Miles

Folder recovery problems
Today, I tried to recover a Windows Mail folder
containing at least one message that I lost months
ago. Ran into assorted problems:

1. The backup and restore center makes it
rather difficult to recover anything so old that
the backups catalog has been corrupted and
erased a few times since that item was stored
a backup. I finally got around this by telling
it I needed to restore something put into a
backup for another computer, instead of the
same computer where I was trying to restore
it.

2. The recovered files needed to go into a
different folder from the original location,
since part of that folder was recovered
before. The instructions were rather late in
saying that this was even possible, after I
had moved everything in the original
location elsewhere.

3. The .eml file containing the lost message
was completely missing except for the .fol
file containing a pointer to it; I couldn't find
any way to open the .fol file to find the correct
..eml file name.

4. At least the folder containing it was identifiable,
and contained only 4 .eml files, so I restored
those 4 files. Now, how do I make Windows
Mail recognize those 4 files enough to move them
into a storage folder with the proper indexing?

5. SOMETHING is using a large percentage
of the physical memory in some way that keeps
Windows Task Manager from reporting what
images are using it; it's only reporting that 73% of
the physical memory is in use, but none is free,
a combination that I often see when the machine
is responding much more slowly than usual.
I'm not sure what's running, but apparantly
nothing I started.

6. Searching through the directory structure
to find the recovered files and clicking on them
made it open one of them, but not one that's
still useful. Trying it again with the other three
opens Windows Mail, but not the selected
message.

Running Norton Internet Security 2010, with
its most recent updates, on that machine
doesn't find any malware likely to be causing
the problem.

Before you ask, I've already tried installing
Windows Live Mail (2009 version) on my
other two machines and found it essentially
useless as a newsreader, due to lacking any
visible way to reach a section for controlling
news post filtering. I've found a rumor
elsewhere that selecting Tools is the first step
to reaching it, but nothing labelled Tools is
visible under Windows Live Mail on either
machine, and there's nothing relevant as a
help file. After seeing that, I see no use in
installing Windows Live Mail or anything
else under Windows Live Essentials on the
machine with the problem.

32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2
2 GB physical memory
runs BOINC 6.10.18 and an assortment of
BOINC projects most of the time

Robert Miles

R. C. White

Re: Folder recovery problems
Hi, Robert.

> nothing labelled Tools is
> visible under Windows Live Mail on either
> machine,

Unless you press <Alt>. That makes the Menu Bar appear, with the familiar
buttons for File, Edit, View, Go, Tools, Actions and Help. The WLM Team
decided that more vertical screen real estate is more important to us users
than seeing that Menu Bar all the time, so they hid it by default. There
are a few ways to toggle it on/off (semi-)permanently; one is to just press
<Alt>+M,M.

There are legitimate reasons to dislike WLM, but I hope you don't discard it
for this reason.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Robert Miles" <robertmiles@bellsouthNOSPAM.net> wrote in message
> Today, I tried to recover a Windows Mail folder
> containing at least one message that I lost months
> ago. Ran into assorted problems:
>
> 1. The backup and restore center makes it
> rather difficult to recover anything so old that
> the backups catalog has been corrupted and
> erased a few times since that item was stored
> a backup. I finally got around this by telling
> it I needed to restore something put into a
> backup for another computer, instead of the
> same computer where I was trying to restore
> it.
>
> 2. The recovered files needed to go into a
> different folder from the original location,
> since part of that folder was recovered
> before. The instructions were rather late in
> saying that this was even possible, after I
> had moved everything in the original
> location elsewhere.
>
> 3. The .eml file containing the lost message
> was completely missing except for the .fol
> file containing a pointer to it; I couldn't find
> any way to open the .fol file to find the correct
> .eml file name.
>
> 4. At least the folder containing it was identifiable,
> and contained only 4 .eml files, so I restored
> those 4 files. Now, how do I make Windows
> Mail recognize those 4 files enough to move them
> into a storage folder with the proper indexing?
>
> 5. SOMETHING is using a large percentage
> of the physical memory in some way that keeps
> Windows Task Manager from reporting what
> images are using it; it's only reporting that 73% of
> the physical memory is in use, but none is free,
> a combination that I often see when the machine
> is responding much more slowly than usual.
> I'm not sure what's running, but apparantly
> nothing I started.
>
> 6. Searching through the directory structure
> to find the recovered files and clicking on them
> made it open one of them, but not one that's
> still useful. Trying it again with the other three
> opens Windows Mail, but not the selected
> message.
>
> Running Norton Internet Security 2010, with
> its most recent updates, on that machine
> doesn't find any malware likely to be causing
> the problem.
>
> Before you ask, I've already tried installing
> Windows Live Mail (2009 version) on my
> other two machines and found it essentially
> useless as a newsreader, due to lacking any
> visible way to reach a section for controlling
> news post filtering. I've found a rumor
> elsewhere that selecting Tools is the first step
> to reaching it, but nothing labelled Tools is
> visible under Windows Live Mail on either
> machine, and there's nothing relevant as a
> help file. After seeing that, I see no use in
> installing Windows Live Mail or anything
> else under Windows Live Essentials on the
> machine with the problem.
>
> 32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2
> 2 GB physical memory
> runs BOINC 6.10.18 and an assortment of
> BOINC projects most of the time
>
> Robert Miles

Robert Miles

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> [...]

>> still useful. Trying it again with the other three
>> opens Windows Mail, but not the selected
>> message.
>>
>> Running Norton Internet Security 2010, with
>> its most recent updates, on that machine
>> doesn't find any malware likely to be causing
>> the problem.
>>
>> Before you ask, I've already tried installing
>> Windows Live Mail (2009 version) on my
>> other two machines and found it essentially
>> useless as a newsreader, due to lacking any
>> visible way to reach a section for controlling
>> news post filtering. I've found a rumor
>> elsewhere that selecting Tools is the first step
>> to reaching it, but nothing labelled Tools is
>> visible under Windows Live Mail on either
>> machine, and there's nothing relevant as a
>> help file. After seeing that, I see no use in
>> installing Windows Live Mail or anything
>> else under Windows Live Essentials on the

Thanks - that worked for Windows Live Mail.
Looks like time to try harder using it, and switch
to criticizing making the Help button invisible by
default rather than calling the whole program
nearly unusable.

Robert Miles

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Re: Folder recovery problems
You really need to get better acquainted with Windows Live Mail. There
is indeed a Help facility without first pressing Alt to get the menu bar.
Click on the circled question mark, or (like in all Windows programs)
press the F1 key.

--
Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/def...le/vandermolen